Golf Cart help

Sp8

Eight Pointer
Hoping maybe one of you can help me out. I have a 91 Yamaha G2 gas golf cart. A while back it got where it wouldn't engage the when you press the gas. I can here it click, hum and then nothing. Sometimes I can tap the pedal several times and it will go. Now I can't get it to do anything. It still clicks and hums like it's wanting to engage but just sits there. Google search isn't much help (anything from solenoid, starter, or pedal switch) hate to throw money up a wild hogs rear trying to track down the problem. Anybody have suggestions or had the same issue? Thanks

Papa_Smurf

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sounds like a basic electrical problem, and could be any of the (solenoid, starter, switch, relay, etc) that you mentioned.

If you understand schematics and the basics of the electronics involved it should be easy to troubleshoot. If not, then you are better off taking it somewhere to get checked out. You really just need to follow the circuit with a multimeter and see where you lose voltage.

Reactions: Sp8

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are several things that can be the issue. Beginning with the battery, test for proper voltage. I would then check voltage at starter to make sure that the full power is going through the solenoid. If that is correct, I would suspect starter, if not, you'll have go backwards to solenoids and switches. Also, make sure belt is not just slipping. I have seem them wear to the point that the starter actually runs but the belt just slips and doesn't turn the engine. With 19 or so years of use, it should be due anyway.

Reactions: Sp8