Going on a Cruise

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Different strokes for different folks. I have enjoyed both of the cruises I have been on. 7-10 days is about right. Less and it isn’t worth the hassle of traveling. More than that and it may be a little much.

I can spend a whole bunch of time sipping on one of those fruity drinks at the back of the boat....especially around sunset or when pulling out of port.

I make it a point to speak to folks. You definitely have to socialize to enjoy it. You can meet some characters. If you don’t watch out, you will meet some and keep in touch for a long while. I never thought of the concept of knowing folks in other countries. I know that concept now. It’s a good cultural experience.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
like I want to get on something that has a human density higher than any urban piss-hole in the world,,,,,yeah right

have fun,,,you'll never catch me on one of those,,,,
Same here. The closest I'll ever get is a ferry ride across the Irish Sea.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Never say never :LOL:. I was taught that as a diaper runner, but said it anyway when it comes to going on a cruise (kinda like others here ;)). Not in defense of the country, but in the maintenance of marital bliss, Connie and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary on cruise through the eastern Caribbean islands in March.

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Here are a few more pictures. I enjoyed the cruise overall. It was bad missing Jamaica as we were ready to get off the ship. Got on the ship on a Friday and were not able to get off until Tuesday in Columbia. I think i picked up some kinda bug on the plane ride down and was out of commission on Monday. I sill don't feel 100% a week later. Norovrius did show up on the ship enough for them to make announcements about it and not let you serve yourself at buffet the last couple days. I enjoyed the variety of foods at the buffet and the nice sit down meals. The evening shows were great too. I didnt do the drink package and just bought some of the 5 beers for 4 packages before i got on the boat. I liked the excursions too, although we were in traffic a lot in Columbia and Panama. It was hard sometimes to see the city in Columbia with people trying to sell you stuff constantly. Snorkeling and the rain forest were great. The ride to the rain forest in Costa Rica went through the more rural areas and that was nice. Thanks for all the tips and advice prior to me leaving.

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Never say never :LOL:. I was taught that as a diaper runner, but said it anyway when it comes to going on a cruise (kinda like others here ;)). Not in defense of the country, but in the maintenance of marital bliss, Connie and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary on cruise through the eastern Caribbean islands in March.

Which cruise line? If you make an effort to relax and try to participate in the stuff on board, it can be very enjoyable. Make sure to read through the daily itineraries. There are tons of things to do. I never thought I would care to see an art auction...but why not. Lots of neat stuff that you wouldn’t otherwise do.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Glacier Bay Alaska. We were 1/2 mile from the 90 ft glacial wall. Takes bout 1/2 a day for the ship to do a 180 to go back out. Watching and HEARING house sized ice chunks falling into the ocean was awesome. We would do another Ak cruise going further north to different places 25621OR back to Sitka or Ketchikan for a week. We stopped in Juneau Sitka Ketchikan and Victoria BC. Left outa Seattle.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Unless the hand sanitizer has benzethonium chloride in it, it is ineffective in guarding against norovirus...use soap and rinse hands well
Thought that earlier in the thread. The effective hand sanitizers ain't cheap.

"The C.D.C. says that as a means of preventing norovirus infection, alcohol-based sanitizers can be used “in addition” to hand washing, never as a substitute. Hand sanitizers can reduce the spread of some viruses, like the flu. But against norovirus they are largely ineffective; better to use soap and water."

Why and which works..

"The norovirus is a "non-enveloped" illness, which is why most hand sanitizers won't work. The trick to finding an effective hand sanitizer is to find one containing the anti-microbial Benzethonium Chloride, an agent that has a 99.3 percent success rate against norovirus surrogates like Feline Calicivirus."

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I've been on 3 different cruises. My advice? Don't lol

Well scratch that. It's something everyone should do at least once.
Been on 1 cruise (with 3'young sons and wife) about 23 years ago. Not my cup of tea. Too much food, too much time on ocean not enough time on land. Glad my wife won the trip totally free plus around $2k spending money. Enjoyed New Zealand freelance trip with son (now 30;years old!) much more, did 2.5 weeks for around $1750 each. But cruise made the wife happy. Guess I will cruise again some day....

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Glacier Bay Alaska. We were 1/2 mile from the 90 ft glacial wall. Takes bout 1/2 a day for the ship to do a 180 to go back out. Watching and HEARING house sized ice chunks falling into the ocean was awesome. We would do another Ak cruise going further north to different places View attachment 25621OR back to Sitka or Ketchikan for a week. We stopped in Juneau Sitka Ketchikan and Victoria BC. Left outa Seattle.

I used to work with guy and every vacation was a cruise. He had been on about 30 cruises some up to 2 weeks in length and all over the world. He said his favorite cruise was Alaska. He said if you only take 1 cruise in your life make it an Alaskan cruise.