Going offshore 3rd weekend in June

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got a trip planned offshore (gulf stream) for June 20 out of Atlantic Beach. The Big Rock is the week before so I'm assuming it's a fairly decent time to fish. I haven't been offshore in a number of years. How good is the fishing generally ? Of course the standard Mahi but what about billfish? Id assume that close to the big rock that it would be a decent time for them or they would not have the tournament that time of year.

Clark

Ten Pointer
You may want to ask your captain what he recommends, if you can fish for both, split the time, etc.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Should be plenty of mahi in between the 14 and the Rock by then. Billfish will be here and there but better shot at them in the deep. There are already quite a few blues being caught while mahi fishing but right now the mahi are in the deep water too.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Ok, I know that crowd. They do pretty good!! He docks beside the Wet Dream, which is my buddy I fish with a lot.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Been a couple of times in the last 2 weeks. Good sized mahi and a fair tuna bite. A lot of blackfins off of MHC right now. I am going tomorrow but heading to Oregon Inlet to chase yellowfins. I have 2 friends fishing MHC today. I will let you know if I get a report.