Gobbling reports

xbowhuntonly

Four Pointer
03997dec76c70c18902ac9d7e1486329.jpg
leaving the job today there was 4 longbeards following 5 hens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pir8rn

Six Pointer
In Nash, mostly constant gobbling from when I parked at about 6:30 through 7:20 or so. Only heard two gobbles in the next hour and a half I was out there...

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Had two different birds gobbling at one of my favorite farms this morning. They got quiet after 14-15 gobbles, so likely had hens to get busy with. One was along the crest of the ridge in some tall pines. If he keeps roosting there, he's in serious trouble in a couple of weeks.

Jim

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
They should have had plenty of daylight in their systems to get them fired up after today. A few weeks ago I offered to take a youth hunting some this season because his father is too busy & doesn't know how to turkey hunt. He's the son of a friend of a friend and it seemed like the right thing to do. My father didn't hunt and I'm forever grateful to my friend's fathers who were willing to take me hunting when I was young. It changed my life for the better.

I was prepared to take the boy hunting at the properties where I hunt, but I found out around noon today that the boy's family owns 270 acres in one spot and another 180 acres just up the road. They said I can hunt any inch of it whenever I want. Both farms are in Granville County and are loaded with birds. The boy's father told me that having a place to hunt wasn't the problem. I'm really looking forward to calling that young fella a couple of big gobblers. It should be great fun. I'll probably turn him into another addict like me....there's worse things.

Jim

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Listened from 6:45 till 7:15 and heard nothing. Fifteen minutes later got a strutter and a looker in driveway with hens and jakes. Gonna be a different year.

Attachments

• 0330190733b.jpg
    0330190733b.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 67

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Buddy said they were gobbling good this morning while he was fishing Cherokee. I was out on Fontana yesterday afternoon til sunset and didn’t hear any late nor did I this evening while scouting a piece of public. BUT I did walk up on a big ol’ Tom with beard hanging to the ground it seemed like. Got an idea where they might be roosting on the side of the mountain there as I spooked a hen off the road bed that was headed up towards where he was headed down to. No clue how I’m going to get to them in two weeks without going straight up since I went off trail to get up high and have not got a clue what the roadbed system does.

cwcook68

Eight Pointer
I was in the south eastern part of Rowan most of the morning, I herd 1 gobble and actually seen the bird. I would have bet that they would have been on fire.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Saw some strutting In pitt county today. They took off running when I started getting closer.

Attachments

• 20190331_133411.jpg
    20190331_133411.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 53

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a strutter with a hen east of I40 while returning from a soccer game. He looked real proud of himself.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Saw 3 toms and 1 hen by 8am this morning. Only one (a lone bird) gave a single gobble about 8:15am.

Pulled up on a field after church and got to witness a hen beg for it and get bred by the more dominant of two toms that were out about 1pm. This was my first experience seeing one breed in the wild. About halfway through the process it dawned on me to put the phone up to the binos and hit the record button. Therefore, I caught the benediction.

Looking forward to next weekend with the kid.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
better ground gobbling today. still no heavy roost action for me.
where i started was just a few goobles on roost started by a wood duck then a quick flydown; then silence.
but did locate two others on ground.
one was by himself so that ended as it should. :)

Reactions: jug

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
Gobbled good in Harnett yesterday, and hammered again this morning in Granville to owl and crow call. Two successful scout trips. Season needs to go ahead and get here lol.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Just got back from my afternoon run. About a half mile stretch was loaded with fresh tracks and strut marks!!270122701327014

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I've seen a few turkey tracks here and there at Sandhills and I actually bumped a turkey at Rockfish Creek Game Land in March. Today, I re-scouted a part of Sandhills. Nothing. Did find a bobcat highway, though. Tracks everywhere. And a few deer tracks.

Lastfling

Six Pointer
I’ve been waking up each morning for the past three weeks to Turkey gobbling . They were in overdrive this morning. One change I’ve noticed is an increase in mid morning and afternoon gobbling. These are an extremely vocal group of birds.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I’ve been waking up each morning for the past three weeks to Turkey gobbling . They were in overdrive this morning. One change I’ve noticed is an increase in mid morning and afternoon gobbling. These are an extremely vocal group of birds.

I have noticed the same thing. around 4 in the afternoon has been hot and our birds seem to be sleeping in a little!! Lazy birds!!:unsure::unsure: Another thing I noticed last year and this year, all the male birds roosting along the newer cutovers are staying put in the trees till they see hens moving around. one of our killed birds last season stayed in the tree till 8am and was killed at 10 pm. Took him 2 hours to come in from 150 yds.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I have noticed the same thing. around 4 in the afternoon has been hot and our birds seem to be sleeping in a little!! Lazy birds!!:unsure::unsure: Another thing I noticed last year and this year, all the male birds roosting along the newer cutovers are staying put in the trees till they see hens moving around. one of our killed birds last season stayed in the tree till 8am and was killed at 10 pm. Took him 2 hours to come in from 150 yds.

4pm birds.. sounds great! I’m a night owl and not a morning person

Maybe they are adopting my habits.?