Gobbling reports 2020

np307

Ten Pointer
Heard 2 from game lands this morning. Both were on private but one was close enough to maybe pull over. Also heard his hens fly down and move to him. We'll be back for sure.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Went to listed this morning. Walked up on a jake in my work clothes. I just froze and i heard a fly down. Two minutes later 3 other jakes showed up. They put on a show for about 15 minutes. They at least tried to gobble.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
heard two maybe three this am. Only gobbled as i was ready to leave and hurled out a crow sound from my old old old Gibson call.
they should be dead by 7 in the morning. :) good hunters with older youths with access to the place they were at this am.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Got to my listening spot around 6:45, right at daybreak here. Breezy on the jackknife ridge walking in off the parkway, but not too bad at the bald where I posted up. Pretty sure I heard two distant gobbles down the mountain from me in two different directions between 7:15ish and when I left at 7:30. Chilly up above 5000’ but the views are nice.6D551EAA-A3EE-4193-87E9-6F89BEDD3355.jpeg811CA64E-2E97-4E43-AB9D-DF518A73C332.jpeg

Wildgamechaser987

Button Buck
Went again to listen this morning.... nothing, but I was scouting and heard two birds fighting. Thinking a strutter and gobble tube might bring these fired up boys in.
Thoughts?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I saw a flock with one strutter and a hanger-on gobbler waiting on the edge for one of the hens to move his way this morning...in someone's back yard. Good to see those birds fired up even though I don't really have a place to hunt them this season.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Buddy and I were all over birds in Lancaster , SC this morning. How that one bird that gobbled for 2 hrs didn’t die is beyond me.

Saw some lone hens so looking good

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Went again to listen this morning.... nothing, but I was scouting and heard two birds fighting. Thinking a strutter and gobble tube might bring these fired up boys in.
Thoughts?
well if they dont get brought in and you hear them fighting again just walk up (even with a youth) and shoot one. Assuming you think it's safe to move on them.
They wont know youre in the world until you have a chance to kill one. You get that chance with a youth and he/she will be hooked.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Went again this morning. One bird sounding off at 6:51am that was within 100 yards of me. I eased back out and went on in to work. Hopefully he will be there in the morning, is an aspiring actor, and wants the leading role for our new movie.

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Heard 2 gobbling across the road from the house this morning. Finally got to sleep at 3am woke up at 6 30am to pee , figured I might as well go outside and listen.
Glad I did.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I heard 8-10 gobbling this morning.....about 4 of them were jakes...sounded like they were all on the same limb.....one gobbles all gobble....hit about 4 different spots on the farm.....birds pretty vocal all over....NOW THE SPRAYERS HAVE MOVED IN.......that ends the scouting the fields! At least they are getting it done this week......smell will dissipate in a couple days......birds should be back in a few days and ready by next Saturday!!

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Just back from a long hike where I listened the other morning. Got up there probably around 10:30. Found where one dusted itself at the back of this meadow they’ve cleared out recently (grown up last year) on my path back to where I wanted to look for a spot to setup camp ext Friday evening. Got that spot picked out and dropped off the mountain and low and behold a couple hundred yards below camp I find a ton of scratching sign in this big bowl area. Pretty sure if what I heard were two gobbles yesterday morning it was in that general area and elevation band. Hit some wild water way in down below that with no luck and then the suck started, around 1700’ elevation to gain back. I’m beat but feeling good about next Saturday based on what I found (also for deer season with the amount of rubs and some scrapes back in there).

np307

Ten Pointer
Definitely weren't hammering this morning on a game lands spot. I did hear a couple gobbles but couldn't get a good bead on them before they went quiet. Found a feather on the walk through, so that was good.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Hunting in SC with a long ago "youth" all growed up.
Went where i was last saturday. His family's land. He was the shooter today.
Had one gobble in same little patch besides a cutover and big fields.
He gobble 5 times on the roost.
4 times on the ground.
He will never gobble again. :)

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Had 5-6 toms just hammering on the limb this morning in east TN.
Went dead silent after fly down but Im still in the game I think...

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
It’s been a fine spring morning so far. They burning the woods down in Person co this morning. I’d be done listening if my ute hunter could shoot;)

blackheel

Twelve Pointer
On gamelands yesterday heard maybe 5 roost gobbles from 2 birds, 3 single gobbles on the ground mid morning, and 2 birds gobbled together at 5:44 pm. Nothing wanted to play and the ones we saw had plenty of hens.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Finally after 3 weeks located 2 birds in different areas walked from 0500 till 1030 this morning to find them. But one I've already decided to call Little Caesar bird because he is HOT AND READY. Only way you shutting him up is to shoot him non stop gobbled for over hour half and left him still going plus he is very deep in and 3/4 to top of mtn nice way stay alive only issue is he still has 6 days to roam and they jump around lot in there.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I heard 3 birds gobble this morning around the house here. Only 1 gobbled 3 times.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
My son and I setup in the middle of two that were gobbling this morning. I wouldnt say they were on fire but probably each gobbled about 5-6 times over the course of an hour before going silent and nothing more. Neither moved from their respective areas before going silent. This was the first time my son got to hear one gobble and hes pretty fired up now to get one.