Gobbling report- What are you hearing?

huntngolf

Six Pointer
I hunted 3 days in Caswell......Heard few birds but shut up quick. Our club killed 3 Sat/Sun....I went home Monday as I feel like spring has sprung way late in upper NC. The birds will be 6-7 more days before you'll begin hearing them talk on ground and begin coming to a call....Been chasing them a long time, just got to givem' time! BTW...Just got news NCST8GUY tagged a nicun'!

I hunted 3 days in Caswell......Heard few birds but shut up quick. Our club killed 3 Sat/Sun....I went home Monday as I feel like spring has sprung way late in upper NC. The birds will be 6-7 more days before you'll begin hearing them talk on ground and begin coming to a call....Been chasing them a long time, just got to givem' time! BTW...Just got news NCST8GUY tagged a nicun'!
What part of caswell you guys in? Turkeys seem to be all but extinct now around Leasburg area

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
I've not heard a gobble in a week.andit was one times half mile on property I can't hunt. Kids on 4 wheelers keeping him do spooky. Walked close to 25 miles this week on public and private land .maybe found 2 different gobbler tracks. Its pitiful on Uwharrie.and now they burning again .found hens on about every walk just no gobblers. I'm about burned out.my feet are blisters.my back is almost out. I'm traveling far this weekend some where where they are more plentiful. Already think šŸ¤” f hunting multiple states next year.It sucks in most parts of NC where I had hunt.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I have not heard a single gobble during turkey season while fishing. First time thatā€™s ever happened. I havenā€™t hunted any due to the wind that blows every day after 9am.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Heard nothing at all today. Thursday morning went out before work to listen and heard no gobbling at all but did here two hens fly down

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
It was a sad day for gobbling it seems in many places. I was in one of those. Good thing (for the turkeys) too because I had a fine guide ready to work one to his death.
This time of year that (no gobbling) can change seemingly instantly ... or not. You just have to play to find out.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The only bird I heard at the Rock gobbled intermittently between 6 30am and 9 30am..... staying on the ridge across the creek the entire time.
Stayed till 2pm.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Got one to answer yesterday evening one time on Uwharrie. My back is getting better but wasn't able to get back there until 1230 today. Almost a mile as the crow flies same block of woods. I ease upon a monster gobbler just off the road. Went past him about 300 yards and seen him cross. So I turned around.and went fast as I could to go in and get around him. Set up and called some,About5 minutes later I heard him walking behind me know n back side of the small hill.and kept going. Never gobbled or drummed. Stay in there till 5. Nada.went on to where I heard one yesterday at 630. Bam had a hen come in wide open cutting up and yelping. No gobbler in tow.nada.stayed till dark. Think the one I seen was the one I heard yesterday. Just not many gobblers over there.some hens,I'm afraid haven't even seen bred. Might go back and see if he gobbled in the morning.Im about done with these devils.

JWH15

Six Pointer
Gobbled good yesterday. Heard around 6 different birds I believe. Gobbled good all season so far so canā€™t complain about that.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Gobbled good on the roost in Harnett and still got 3 sounding off but........alot of water between us unfortunately šŸ˜•

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Gobbled just enough this morning for me to have some hope on a spot. Only turkey i had heard there i killed last week.
These will get a lot of opportunities next week to give me the slip. :)

TarheelTurkey

Six Pointer
although I feel most of the lack of gobbling is due at least here where I am , to the phase the birds are in. One thing I hadnā€™t read mentioned to take into consideration is we are two years after 2020. Depending on that years hatch there could be a shortage of loud mouth two y/o birds

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I hunted yesterday in a new spot where i have hunted four times.
Everyday roost and ground gobbling by multiple birds.
Yesterday not a peep on as good a morning for hearing one as you could expect.
And i covered several miles trying to force one to open his beak.
Had it been like that on trip one I would likely have not been back.
It amazes me how on some days they all just stay shut up.
Like they get a memo. LOL

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bird in the backyard gobbling his fool head off this morning. Young jake, but he's doing what nature has given him the tools and the inclination to do.
Pretty cool...unless you're trying to sleep in on a Sunday morning.

Reactions: jug

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I got one around here been gobbling about every freaking evening. The jack leg couldn't do it the last day for me.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
We heard one gobble this am while fishing. A heron squawking at our intrusion pulled a quick gobble that was in sync with the herons squawk.
I couldnt get him to repeat.