Gobbling report- What are you hearing?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have heard nothing. I also have nothing on camera. It is the strangest thing. I should at least hear multiple birds even off the property. Already looking forward to my permit hunt because that may be my best experience this season.
Same here. Our primary turkey farm, which was awesome for years, began to dry up about 3 years ago. We had a couple years of down numbers, and then last year it was like a ghost town. Just quiet. Every single hunt. It was the first year in a long time that no one in our family killed a turkey. This year is the same story. No gobbles, no tracks, no scratching. And the way this land lays, I ought to be able to hear a turkey for a mile in any direction with the leaves off. So it's not just this one property, it's the whole area that's gone dead. No real habitat changes, no changes in land use, same crops in the fields, no influx of predators, it's the same place it's always been, just without the turkeys. It's pretty depressing.

Our lease, true to form, saw tons of birds all year, and all winter until about March 20th. Then they left. A couple hens hanging around, but the 6-7 gobblers that I would see at a time, have gone wherever they go when April hits.

I have a couple long shots left to try, but if those don't pan out, I guess I'll be fishing.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
SC gobbling was rare from 22 March thru yesterday

NC between Saturday and this morning I’ve heard around 10 birds gobbling multiple times, roost snd on the ground

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
as bad as the mountain region is down on reported kills I think you hit this prediction on the mark.
It's down 37% in the region versus the past three year average. Yikes.
745 versus 1186.

I wonder if this is the year where the last two years of above average harvests and unlimited vacation days finally catches up with us.

The two counties I hunt are sitting at just over half of their 3 year average for this time. Is the harvest database correlated for number of days into the season or just the date?

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My landowner that let's me turkey hunt on his farm down the road from me here in Harnett, told me yesterday at church that there was multiple turkeys gobbling their heads off yesterday morning.
That place is either feast or famine. One day they are in there the next day they are gone though.
Not a peep on opening day

GobblinNC

Four Pointer
I wonder if this is the year where the last two years of above average harvests and unlimited vacation days finally catches up with us.

The two counties I hunt are sitting at just over half of their 3 year average for this time. Is the harvest database correlated for number of days into the season or just the date?
I think the harvest database tracks the number of days into the season. This year on top of the huge 2020 & 2021 harvest we are seeing the effects of the 2020 hatch which if I remember correctly was the worst on record.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

yes it is correlated. same day in season not calendar date.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
zero gobbles opening weekend- two this am- both after flydown- one came from a long way henless - made the peek over the ridge I was on- beautiful fanned out with sun behind him. Too far- obstructed- no shot-Then he decides to move parallel with the slope rather than come in my lap. Oh well at least I heard one. I was wondering if I knew what one sounded like. :)

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Haven't seen a Turkey since youth week Monday and haven't heard a gobble in over a month. A few years ago you couldn't shut the truck door hard without getting a gobble around here. Something has definitely changed with spring Turkey activities, I had several full bearded Tom's in my corn all fall and winter until February. Even the last 30 days I had cameras and corn out not one picture of even a hen

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
It has been hot and cold in Halifax County, and really no middle ground. Youth week heard a ton, same spot opening day nothing. I hunted a spot on Sunday and the Tom gobbled 2 times on the ground, up the road the next day I heard easily 75+ gobbles from 3 Tom’s and 6 jakes.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
all i know is I have to go north to hear one- Monday Rock co. Fine on ground gobbling- yesterday VA hiils/ mountains- I woulda been hell if I had known how to get to them- I always figure that out after they get done. but it was my first trip there.
today Chatham- not a peep couldnt even get two scratching along jakes to gobble.
Three mornings since season opened and back to last week listening two more without a peep from here.
Message received- going to stay mobile. :)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Heard about a million gobbles this morning at least seemed like it only 1 bird following 1 single hen all over the freaking mtn side started at 0620 never stopped till guy walked in on me just passed noon gobbled on own and to calling entire time if they all would only do that

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
I am gonna tell ya'll right now. I am somewhat of a young guy but have been hunting turkeys for 21 yrs and this is the slowest I have ever seen it where I hunt. I ain't heard a dang gobble since opening day. I have checked for sign in the open woods and around a few fields and there just ain't much sign either. No strut marks or tracks. I am really concerned for where I hunt. There sure has been a lot of killing the last 2 yrs and I think we are starting to see the results.

I didn't hear much or see much before season and thought maybe it was my lack of scouting due to having two youngins under 3. Now I just don't think the birds are here like they were.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
my county that i cant hear much gobbling in is down 36% in reported kill after youth and opening week- That deficient wont be made up.
I guess we really did have a crappy 2020 hatch. LC was right again. :)

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
I heard one gobble youth opener and killed a silent bird on the general opener. Hunted this am and was the same as last weekend, silent.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Third trip today. Heard one gobble mid-morning on Opening Day and 4-5 gobbles in the distance before 7:00 this morning, nothing on Wednesday. Too quiet. They're still busy with hens around here.

Jim

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Not surprised at all where I hunt on lack of gobbling the 20 hatch was very poor in my area almost as bad as the horrible one in 18 we'll see how harvest ends up.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Past 2 days permit hunt have heard birds at first light but they shut up quick. Thought we had them today but they stayed on private. Partner got a silent one at 5pm yesterday. One more day. Great fun. Logged 9 miles today.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Ebbs and flows…we have had it good in NC the last couple years. Due for less than a record harvest at some point. Good gobbling so far in the pockets I hunt.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I didnt hear a single gobble last weekend and very little from the hens either. Today was a different story. They blew it up from before flydown until around 8:00. It turned off quick and never heard another thing. I had 11 in a field this morning. If I counted right, i was at 2 hens, one tom, and 9 jakes. I also counted 8 jakes in a group on Wednesday from that same field. Most of the gobbling is probably due to that group of jakes. Went to a second place and saw 4 hens over there. Ive seen turkeys all three trips this year so far, but once they are in the field, there is just nothing to do other than sit still and hope they end up in your direction. The two hens this morning left the field and 8 male birds stayed behind. Im a little confused.

gobblr addict

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I hunted 3 days in Caswell......Heard few birds but shut up quick. Our club killed 3 Sat/Sun....I went home Monday as I feel like spring has sprung way late in upper NC. The birds will be 6-7 more days before you'll begin hearing them talk on ground and begin coming to a call....Been chasing them a long time, just got to givem' time! BTW...Just got news NCST8GUY tagged a nicun'!