Gobbling report- What are you hearing?

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I got a gobbler with no less than 8 hens up at the Rock. Comes thru in the evening out in the pasture about every other day. I got no chance right now unless I choose to deer hunt him. There was a time when I could call him away from the hens on a lucky day but I done lost my skills 😉
So ... Deer hunt him.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I don't know how frisky they gonna be in mtns Saturday not out of low 40s all day wind and possible snow at some elevations. Thnk I'll get some snow Fri night at camp but stopped by daylight 41 for high Saturday 20s at night Fri and Sat so Sun AM gonna be chilly to

slugoo

Eight Pointer
I haven't heard a single turkey. Not a peep. :) In all seriousness, they are gobbling. Latest I've heard is 8:15am. In North Central NC.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Went down to disc up part of the front field this evening after 5 30 pm ...
and low and behold was a big ole longbeard in full strut with 5 hens here in Harnett. I have not heard him back there yet. The bird I heard gobble yesterday was way across the road.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Finally seen two strutting around a hen first of the week but no gobbling here in cabarrus. Hearing more owl hoots than anything else

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Left a camera out for 3 days and have enough on it to be excited. I can’t wait to screw this one up (and my buddies can’t wait to hear the whining, I’m sure 😁)

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Left a camera out for 3 days and have enough on it to be excited. I can’t wait to screw this one up (and my buddies can’t wait to hear the whining, I’m sure 😁)
Truth.

I hate it when I get a good sighting pre-season, because something will screw it up like a soup sandwich, sure as bird crap on a clean window.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Roamed the Pee Dee NWR yesterday. First time on that land and had to leave at noon to sit for granddaughter. River was up because they had 2" of rain. Did not hear nor see turkey.
Still not a waste...
IMG_0788.jpgIMG_0792.jpg

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Roamed the Pee Dee NWR yesterday. First time on that land and had to leave at noon to sit for granddaughter. River was up because they had 2" of rain. Did not hear nor see turkey.
Still not a waste...
View attachment 88995View attachment 88996
There isn't enough turkey left on the refuge to worry about.I stopped putting in for the draw 4 years ago.The hogs and management in that area have wiped them out.

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
Took my son out this afternoon to try and put him on one, no gobbles. Almost closed the deal on one coming in quietly right around, but caught movement about 80 yards out and boogered off

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
We were on the way to Boggs feed store in Fallston today about 1pm. Sunny and temp about 69°. About 300 yards, in a field was, a big ole bowed up Tom. Beautiful, there were 2 other birds close by eating. I had my wife turn around so i could get 2 more looks.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Ripping it up on the limb in SC this a.m.

Like a bunch of Kansas rio birds, fly down and walk away fast gobbling their brains out.
If you are behind them you are done.
Gonna try to pull a big loop....
I'll bring your truck around to meet you on the other side....

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
You should only be deer hunting deer. Don’t waste a perfectly good turkey:)

Honestly, I don’t care how you(generally speaking) hunt, you ain’t cheating the turkey, you only cheat yourself🤷‍♂️
Nah. I would be cheating myself if I wasn't hunting the way I like to hunt. I don't have to fit within the constraints of the way you like to hunt.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Coyotes were howling exactly where i expected to hear gobbling. They caused one to gobble a long ways away in a direction I would have thought useless for turkeys. He quit when the coyotes quit. Not a peep where I need them to be. Coyotes on patrol may have stymied them or perhaps a 4 wheeler scooting around at 6:45? 🤷‍♂️
At least I know where I wont be in the am.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks like me and my 2 neighbors gonna all be hunting the same bird tomorrow. 😜
Should be interesting 😄
Here in Harnett gonna be like a gameland on my road tomorrow

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I've been saying for 2 years in Pisgah the 2020 hatch was sorry as could be if they kill more than 130 on that 500,000 acres I'll be shocked. Won't be quite as bad as the 2018 hatch it was one worse I've seen myself. But same as you no where near the gobbling I'd expect and I don't expect a ton. But there are always pockets just gotta stay after em.
as bad as the mountain region is down on reported kills I think you hit this prediction on the mark.
It's down 37% in the region versus the past three year average. Yikes.
745 versus 1186.