Gobbling report- What are you hearing?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Since Many if not all are out and about listening/hunting/observing- Could we get some details?
I'll start with the bad and let yall pick us up as we head to the opener here in NC Saturday.
I listened/walked this am for 6. 2 miles worth and heard zero. This was in NC. I "may have heard one as I was leaving area two amongst a crow harassment of an owl. Not really sure.
Yesterday on the same SC plot that @dhesten gets them to walk to the gun gobbling every breath and has to choose which bird to go to I was met with silence. It's hard to kill another man's turkey. :)
This morning and yesterday was one of those "If you aint hearing them- you be in the wrong place" deals. It was a beautiful morning.
I need some hope for the future.
What are you hearing?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
It had been rough sledding in mtns I've been leaving house before 0400 for over 3 weeks and probably made 13 walks 8n that time so e short some 8 plus miles before thisvweek had only heard 7 birds 4 were in locations I wouldn't fool with. But persistence seems to have paid off I think I have everyone in my group a bird to play with Saturday AM in a killable spot now the waiting game. I couldn't care less if I kill one but I'd sure like my bro in law and my little brother to connect.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Four mornings in TN the only tree gobble I heard was the one over my head that I killed. Heard one on the ground Saturday but he wouldn’t play.

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
Nothing in southern Granville County yesterday. That spot has been good to me the last few years, as I've killed one or missed one there every year since 2017 lol. Today I checked another beautiful spot in the more northern end of Granville County that I've had luck in and didn't hear anything, but I did see a coyote :mad:. I guess I need to start carrying a rifle when I scout around out of season. I'm sure things will turn the corner. I will try again in the morning.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
:stir: :wave:It had been rough sledding in mtns I've been leaving house before 0400 for over 3 weeks and probably made 13 walks 8n that time so e short some 8 plus miles before thisvweek had only heard 7 birds 4 were in locations I wouldn't fool with. But persistence seems to have paid off I think I have everyone in my group a bird to play with Saturday AM in a killable spot now the waiting game. I couldn't care less if I kill one but I'd sure like my bro in law and my little brother to connect.
What’s these “I wouldn’t fool with spots?”

I hear a bird gobble… I’d cross the Grand Canyon to get to it (killing it is a different story BUT I’d sure try)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
What’s these “I wouldn’t fool with spots?”

I hear a bird gobble… I’d cross the Grand Canyon to get to it (killing it is a different story BUT I’d sure try)
Oh its not that I wouldnt go there its more of a million others will be there including non hunters. it'd be waste of opening day trust me. I've learned hard way on public where and where not to spend certain days of week/times of season.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Besides the youth hunt Saturday… I’ve heard the least gobbling this year I’ve heard in a long time.

hoping it’s just the Lull… and ends soon. I can’t take another no gobbling year like we had 4-5 years ago
I've been saying for 2 years in Pisgah the 2020 hatch was sorry as could be if they kill more than 130 on that 500,000 acres I'll be shocked. Won't be quite as bad as the 2018 hatch it was one worse I've seen myself. But same as you no where near the gobbling I'd expect and I don't expect a ton. But there are always pockets just gotta stay after em.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Heard a couple Sunday morning but they only gobbled a few times and were way off. All was done by 7:30 am. Birds are moving around a lot, several big flocks of hens with no gobbler which I thought was strange for this time of year

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
on one club tract, until Sun, I heard no gobbles but saw birds. Sunday AM was an orchestra until about 30 min after sun up. I’ll be there Sat AM. The tract I took the youth out to on Sat had gobblers the weeks prior but the loggers moved in on Thur & Fri. Gobblers moved a bit but all on adjacent properties. He’s got plans for Sat, may take him out Sun.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Since Many if not all are out and about listening/hunting/observing- Could we get some details?
I'll start with the bad and let yall pick us up as we head to the opener here in NC Saturday.
I listened/walked this am for 6. 2 miles worth and heard zero. This was in NC. I "may have heard one as I was leaving area two amongst a crow harassment of an owl. Not really sure.
Yesterday on the same SC plot that @dhesten gets them to walk to the gun gobbling every breath and has to choose which bird to go to I was met with silence. It's hard to kill another man's turkey. :)
This morning and yesterday was one of those "If you aint hearing them- you be in the wrong place" deals. It was a beautiful morning.
I need some hope for the future.
What are you hearing?
Its been mixed so far. Heard more on my
son's youth hunt Saturday morning than usual.But silent after hitting the ground. Struck one on private that evening.gobbled one time. Went back Sunday middle day. He fire up but went away.Silent on another place that evening with fresh gobbler tracks. And silent yesterday evening at home.which is rare being on the river.Butmy son had heard a couple the dogs messed his hunting up.Also found someone s boot tracks in the creek .slipping in from another road.I have suspicion it's some kids that live near by. Any ways We hunting Bladen co. Friday and Saturday. So hope we can bring some back .

DozerD

Six Pointer
Heard two on the roost Saturday and Sunday but they shut up quick after fly down. One was going hard Saturday evening. The weeks prior have been silent. It’s the least amount of gobbling we have heard compared to the last few years. Hope it turns up Saturday AM

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Heard one Saturday morning gobbling at day break going off at the neighbors roosters crowing , he keep it up after he flew down untill about 8:00 am (Wilkes co) . Heard one gobble about 11:30 today while I was scouting around ( Stokes co ). Getting up early tomorrow and trying to hear some at another spot at day break( Wilkes co) .

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Started listening last week heard a couple around the house Thursday and Friday morning. Hunted Saturday and only heard 2 gobbles. Was with Helium Sunday and the woods were on fire. Heard zero Monday in Morven but hunted Union this am and birds gobbled hard till 9 am.

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
Nothing on a property in Vance County this am. Try again in the am. Saturday may just be picking a place that has been historically good to me at this rate.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Several scouting sessions. A few birds each time. All limb gobbling and not a lot of it, but they’re there.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I got a gobbler with no less than 8 hens up at the Rock. Comes thru in the evening out in the pasture about every other day. I got no chance right now unless I choose to deer hunt him. There was a time when I could call him away from the hens on a lucky day but I done lost my skills 😉

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I got a gobbler with no less than 8 hens up at the Rock. Comes thru in the evening out in the pasture about every other day. I got no chance right now unless I choose to deer hunt him. There was a time when I could call him away from the hens on a lucky day but I done lost my skills 😉
You need to show that tail....

Reactions: jug

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Heard 6 Saturday. I’ll be in the thick of them if they keep their pattern regardless of gobbles