Gobbling Report: What are you hearing?

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
They blew the woods down in Union county SC this morning for the opener!!

setup close on 4 gobblers but they had hens with them. Worked them for hours... bet they gobbled 75-100x .

stayed with 1 boss gobbler and his hen for along ways... he would answer etc but of course we were on his back trail.

finally got sort of in his way around 10:30 am BUT not quite close enough... watched him strut by at 75-80 yards with a hen . Even gobbled just to tease me.

I think I will need counseling for the nightmares I will have of that one for months

Ps It was a fun morning, and great day to play chess even if I did lose today to ole Tom
What made today even more special was I introduced my 20 yr old nephew to turkey hunting

he is *diseased” (I mean hooked) now

tk26

Six Pointer
Had one gobble at a passing crow this morning. Gobbled three times and quit. Very windy this morning.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is that you @Lucky Clucker?
@m704- he usually gets us all convinced the uwharries are a hell hole too dangerous to hunt, void of turkeys ....
It's a wonderful NCHF turkey forum tradition. :)
I herd they was shot out, not in there like they useda be, covid pressure from last year got what fews left all messed up, who knows might slip back there with a youngun youth week and just see, but probly nothing, back in the day itd be nothing to hear 10 or 12, mostly silent now, but with coyotes, might just be tight lipped, I know where theres one left though, aint nobody messed with

np307

Ten Pointer
I herd they was shot out, not in there like they useda be, covid pressure from last year got what fews left all messed up, who knows might slip back there with a youngun youth week and just see, but probly nothing, back in the day itd be nothing to hear 10 or 12, mostly silent now, but with coyotes, might just be tight lipped, I know where theres one left though, aint nobody messed with
terrible lc impression, spelled too correctly.

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Headed to Tennessee in the morning after work and will be back in time next Friday evening to try to roost one for opening day.

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
Gonna be in sc for the next week in different parts of the state. Hunting upstate first half of the week and then lower sc back half of the week. Upstate I’ll be hunting 2 WMA’s I’ve never been to. Just got to the gate I wanted to park at from cyber scouting. Fingers crossed I’ll run into a few.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Who else is out listening this morning??
27* here. My FS Rds just opened for the first time since thanksgiving-ish.

GUP

Eight Pointer
Taking my nephew in the morning. Out on his dads farm where I saw 5 gobblers 10 days ago. Not a peep so far. Perhaps cold weather causing lock jaw??

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Walked about 6 miles. No gobbles. Finally found some sign right before I flew 4 hens up.
No other sign around. Don’t think I’ll hunt this valley this year. I’ve covered it from top to bottom and side to side. Just the hens and some buck sign to show for it.
just like most public hunting, it’s more about crossing places off the list than anything else.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Sili
Walked about 6 miles. No gobbles. Finally found some sign right before I flew 4 hens up.
No other sign around. Don’t think I’ll hunt this valley this year. I’ve covered it from top to bottom and side to side. Just the hens and some buck sign to show for it.
just like most public hunting, it’s more about crossing places off the list than anything else.
Even in my younger years I don't think I could've or would've kept up with you and the ground you cover for game. After those nice warm days we had a week ago I don't even want to look out the window this morning

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wife reported that the backyard was full of gobbling birds this morning, at least 6 mature birds together at the same spot at the same time strutting and gobbling. Of course I'm at work today, but maybe she got some video with her camera on her phone. Hers takes much better pictures and video than mine.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Headed to pick up The Young Feller . Gonna try to roost one tonight and see what happens in the morning. Birds have been bouncing all over the place at the property we will be hunting, and from one property to another. Trout season opens so we will have some adventures, or misadventures, either way.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
That’s awesome that you are helping that young man. Good luck!
Thanks buddy. I’m pretty blessed to be in the position to do so. Also it’s nice that he understands there are no guarantees in the woods sometimes so he has fun regardless. We heard one lone hen Yelp around 7:30 this evening in the same area I’ve heard gobbles. We put a game plan together and are ready to rock and roll. Fishing gear is tuned up and on standby as well

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Gobbling

most every morning

except this morning,,,, well, I did hear one,,, but I think it was in Moore county or some such,,, talk about FAR away! thought I was to hard of hearing to hear one that far,,,, or it was in the next block?? :unsure:

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
22 degrees in Grayson county VA this morning... checked several listening spots, some where I can here for miles over the New River valley

we heard 1 turkey way off...Too dang cold for youth

at the local store now, regrouping and letting the sun warn things up... get back after them

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
Chester County, SC this morning. Heard 6 on the roost in all directions. Set up in the middle of them all. They all ended up flying down in opposite directions of me and went onto land I can’t hunt 🤦🏻‍♂️ Gobbled maybe 10 times between the 6 of them once they hit the ground.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
except this morning,,,, well, I did hear one,,, but I think it was in Moore county or some such,,, talk about FAR away! thought I was to hard of hearing to hear one that far,,,, or it was in the next block?? :unsure:
My issue is my tinnitus. By god I can hear a faint gobble from far away, but I’m always looking at the unlucky victim next to me ...”any idea where that came from?”

slugoo

Eight Pointer
Heard 4 or 5 gobbling from 6-10. Was making a move on one that was gobbling like a minute after I yelped everytime and wasn't moving when 2 black labs came howling running straight past me to the turkey. Beautiful dogs, disappointing way for the morning to end. Gobbling shut up after the dogs had their fun.

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
Not heard a turkey all week,we killed some but never heard a.peep. Sc .Dam cold snap. All gobblers still grouped up.

what part of sc? I’m hunting Chester and Kershaw and it surely seems that way here too. Very little gobbling on the ground. Once they get with their groups no gobbling at all.