Gobbling Report: What are you hearing?

slugoo

Eight Pointer
^Hide the hen. He knows exactly where that call came from, and you now knows what happens when he don’t see that ol girl...
Do you mean that I need to muffle it/ be quieter? I have 2 hen decoys,got them as gifts, wouldn't ever bring both. I won't bring one unless I hunt a field. If you meant that I need to ditch the decoy, I didn't use one this morning. Should I have set up somewhere where he needed to come to me in range to tell exactly where I was?

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Didn’t have work to do when I got to Ohio this afternoon so went to scout some public close by before dark for deer. Found deer sign but also found a spot that seriously has me debating getting a license and tag when season comes in. Ton of tracks in the roadbed, fresh scratching and walked up on what I think was a big, lone Tom next to said roadbed when I was looping back through the woods. I might be willing to trade info for tagging along with you Ohio Turkey killers aka @turkeyfoot and @Ol Copper lol.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
The hens were going nuts from the roost this morning yapping back and forth. Didn't hear any gobbling (one possible distant gobble, but a school bus was going by so it was hard to tell), but this was only 10-15min of sporadic listening from the back porch. N Guilford 0635-0650. Didn't see any birds in the fields on the way in to work. Saw several lone hens and a gobbler in different areas yesterday morning ~0730.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Didn’t have work to do when I got to Ohio this afternoon so went to scout some public close by before dark for deer. Found deer sign but also found a spot that seriously has me debating getting a license and tag when season comes in. Ton of tracks in the roadbed, fresh scratching and walked up on what I think was a big, lone Tom next to said roadbed when I was looping back through the woods. I might be willing to trade info for tagging along with you Ohio Turkey killers aka @turkeyfoot and @Ol Copper lol.
Always up for little horse trading. Overall numbers little down up there but there are always pockets where can be great you only need couple birds half decent weather and hopefully low hunter pressure and your golden

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer

I love Ohio, always up for helping other turkey killers.

Im still trying to figure out how we're gonna drive straight thru our Ohio area on the way to MI in a few weeks and not stop and yelp up a gobbler 🙄 @turkeyfoot

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
The gobbling at the farms I regularly hunt has been less than overwhelming. Checked out a new spot on a farm with minimal hunting pressure surrounding it. The two grown gobblers sounding off in the creek bottom beside the pasture was music to my ears. I should be able to slip in across the other side of the pasture ridge unseen and follow the fence line right to the end of the bottom they usually leave from. Unless they learn how to walk on water to cross the pond or go up to the house to visit, I like my chances.

Jim

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Heard 2 on the limb this morning on government land. Gobbled about 5 times between the 2 of them, then nothing for the rest of the morning. Put 7 miles on the boots again. Was able to find some good sign all down low. Heard grouse drumming and was able to find a shed antler.20210407_072423.jpgall in all it was a good day.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
Heard 4 in one block, then 2 at another, and 2 at my final spot. Won’t be able to make it Sat., hopefully 1 of them will make it to play on Sunday.

Heard two gobbling on the roost last night above the house and a buddy had at least two gobbling at his place on the roost last night as well.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It has been dead quiet on the roost ( and after) where we hunt. Strange. Might have to switch it up.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
N. Guilford Co: Single bird behind the house around 0635-0640 gobbling...then saw a tom in full strut in a field with 6-8 other birds at 0730. I was doing 60, couldn't tell if all the other birds were hens or not.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Had a old wise gobbler at 70 yds... just wouldn’t commit

Saw several hens this eve... great day to be in the woods with my daughter and new friends!
You shoot lead? Tss will flat wreck one at 70. He committed suicide if they get that close .lol

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
You shoot lead? Tss will flat wreck one at 70. He committed suicide if they get that close .lol
No I shoot TSS and yes 70 is doable... I’ve killed one at 71 yds

Just sat down and gun was laying beside me

looked up and here he came strutting ... got behind trees and then it was only glimpses.. too much brush

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Plenty of roost gobbling then one would respond nicely on the ground until I shut up to "let him come"
He had a long way to come and shut up and did not come.
It's my fault. I expected to duplicate my success in the spot by setting up and playing the same hand as a couple of weeks ago.
They are roosting in a tiny confined area - I hate to tell them but i have been sneaking into that head for decades in the dark and killing them on flydown. Which is what i needed to do this am.

To be continued.
This is SC.

Reactions: jug

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My brother heard one gobbling hard this morning way off on the creek. I heard one gobbling this afternoon at 3 30 pm.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
One hit once at 7:45 this morn. Been bouncing around so they either ain’t gobbling or my spots suck... :oops:

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Heading out here in hour or so to set up camp hope chime in on some gobbling tom AM. If your in Pisgah see old brown beat up Ford ranger stop in for cup coffee. Good luck to all and above all else be safe
I’ll be that way in the morning. Somewhere between Marion and Boone looking for a bird.
Pm where you’re gonna camp and I’ll stop by if I’m round that way.