Gobbling Report: What are you hearing?

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
Funny how diff areas birds can be vocal or silent.
I was in Kershaw SC this morning and not a single gobble the day before in the same area 4 were firing off!
Might be headed down to hunt Kershaw next weekend. Are the birds still grouped up down there?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My wife took pictures of 6 birds strutting at my house yesterday at one time...I'm still not hearing gobbling in the mornings before I leave for work.
She said there were more mature gobblers than hens in the group yesterday.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
Heard three in Carteret County while I was trout fishing Saturday. First ones I’ve heard all year but I haven’t been to listen yet.

np307

Ten Pointer
Man alive they were burning the woods down this morning. So many turkeys I lost count. They started up around 630 and gobbled consistently until after 715. Found a couple on the ground around 8 and messed with them a little but they had hens and the hens didn't like me being so close. They kept gobbling even as they left me. Poking around now to see if I can find any morels.

m704

Six Pointer
Man alive they were burning the woods down this morning. So many turkeys I lost count. They started up around 630 and gobbled consistently until after 715. Found a couple on the ground around 8 and messed with them a little but they had hens and the hens didn't like me being so close. They kept gobbling even as they left me. Poking around now to see if I can find any morels.
I hope that wasn’t in Uwharriei the woods will be full of hunters again this spring

np307

Ten Pointer
I hope that wasn’t in Uwharriei the woods will be full of hunters again this spring
It was on gamelands but I won't say which one. All that pressure on Uwharrie last year may have saved some gobblers.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
It was on gamelands but I won't say which one. All that pressure on Uwharrie last year may have saved some gobblers.
Bet I know where it was

and it will stop opening day or shortly after...

If correct, then Youth week in that place was killer last year UNTIL all the pressure began

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Went to listen at my primary farm this morning...nothing happening. Found scratching in some of the regular places they like to hang out and roost . They're there, just didn't have anything to say today.

There was a Bald Eagle circling & screaming over the big pond on the neighboring property. I suspect they are nesting there again. Not sure if that's a bad thing for turkey hunting or not. No matter what, there's nothing I can do about it. Very cool thing to see and hear though.

Jim

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
We'll separate the men from the boys the next couple of mornings. It's going to be a tad chilly isnt it?
Yall suck it up and get out there to get that youth opener located. :)

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Have a friend and his grandson lined up to hunt youth week I hope the cold mornings this week don't shut the turkeys up. They haven't been very vocal so far

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They've split up a bit. Still 3 mature birds and a jake with this group of 12 birds.
Wife said they were all strutting yesterday and gobbling, only two strutting and no gobbling today.

Attachments

• IMG_20210401_073900014.jpg
    IMG_20210401_073900014.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210401_073855272.jpg
    IMG_20210401_073855272.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 11

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
They blew the woods down in Union county SC this morning for the opener!!

setup close on 4 gobblers but they had hens with them. Worked them for hours... bet they gobbled 75-100x .

stayed with 1 boss gobbler and his hen for along ways... he would answer etc but of course we were on his back trail.

finally got sort of in his way around 10:30 am BUT not quite close enough... watched him strut by at 75-80 yards with a hen . Even gobbled just to tease me.

I think I will need counseling for the nightmares I will have of that one for months

Ps It was a fun morning, and great day to play chess even if I did lose today to ole Tom

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Despite being windy and cold this am had a Tom gobble twice at my hen Yelp leaning out the front window of the house. I hope Saturday he will respond as well to calling for my buddies grandson here in cabarrus