Gobbling Report: What are you hearing?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
VA mountain birds are still flocked up. Spring is a few weeks behind the normal there...
Just got back from Va Easter flowers still not bloomed red maples not bloomed still dead of winter in SW Virginia mtns down here everything blooming away the March bloom has taken off last 3 days

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Dropped my wife off at work (which happens to be the one private spot we have permission on) at 6pm. Saw two jakes cruising around. Neighbor said he seen a mature bird out there mid morning yesterday. It’s a real shame I’m picking my wife up in the morning and will have an hour to kill before she’s done working. Guess I’ll have to poke around at sunrise and have a listen. What a shame

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sat and listened Sunday morning. Turkeys were lighting it up! Heard at least six different gobblers. Saw 11 turkeys fly down. On the way out I had a big gobbler walk within 15 yards of me. I was standing still in the wide open.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Dropped my wife off at work (which happens to be the one private spot we have permission on) at 6pm. Saw two jakes cruising around. Neighbor said he seen a mature bird out there mid morning yesterday. It’s a real shame I’m picking my wife up in the morning and will have an hour to kill before she’s done working. Guess I’ll have to poke around at sunrise and have a listen. What a shame
Got to the farm and was listening by 6:50 this morning. Heard 3 birds gobble on the right side of the ridge and 1 on the left side. Few more weeks !

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Crickets...I still might come back next weekend but I ain’t jonesing quite as bad now 😂
Hope they fire up I'll be to west of you in 9 more days. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was concerned about the huge harvest last spring but its spring I'm off and I'll be trying worse can happen is I get little exercise

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Hope they fire up I'll be to west of you in 9 more days. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was concerned about the huge harvest last spring but its spring I'm off and I'll be trying worse can happen is I get little exercise
beats the alternative for sure. Good Luck with them.

np307

Ten Pointer
Figured the weather wouldn't be conducive to gobbling but went to listen anyhow. Suspicions were correct. Did see some tracks though. Drove by some fields and was kind of surprised not to see anything.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Feeling under the weather, so I was trying to get in a nap before my wife got home.

Hard to do with this guy banging away. Sorry for the crappy pic. He's at 150 yards from the house.

Attachments

• IMG_20210318_155230344~2.jpg
    IMG_20210318_155230344~2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 24

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
A927C53D-09C5-438C-9D54-5ABFD3C365EE.jpeg26C774F7-1625-4C0B-8352-ABD1AF937F7B.jpegNo gobbles so far. But I’ve heard every other sound a turkey makes. Cawking, yelping, cutting, keekees, drumming...even the sound they make flying and running from a poacher taking pot shots :mad: ...and that was a real shame because that hen was pissed and coming to me on a rope with him hot on her heels. Last I saw he was running for the road hollering at his phone come get come get me...

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
^^ Those pics gets me fired up.
Beautiful ridge you're sitting on !!
Sucks that they had a swiper on their heels 😡

Say you heerd drumming ? 👍🏻

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This morning they got here early and didn't stay long

Attachments

• IMG_20210320_072834624.jpg
    IMG_20210320_072834624.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 21

DeerJerky

Six Pointer
Contributor
I usually hear Gobbling from my front porch by this time of year but haven't heard a peep yet this year.
dj

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Heard a tight bunch that sounded like 10-20 gobblers down in a creek bottom out of sight. They are bunched up in breeding flocks right now as far as I can tell.....

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Heard a tight bunch that sounded like 10-20 gobblers down in a creek bottom out of sight. They are bunched up in breeding flocks right now as far as I can tell.....
@wood moose you better get the 2021 kill thread up. Hal’s gonna need it if he’s around that many. 😊