Gobbling Report: What are you hearing?

Hrlhustler

Six Pointer
Was on high rock crappie fishing at daylight and goodness gracious there were birds hollering all over the creek I was in consistently from 645 to 830

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
They’re cutting us loose an hour early tonight. Only 1 hour 38 minutes left, but who’s counting. Then I’ll grab a cup of coffee and head to public land to have a listen. Rain stopped here around 11pm and it’s pretty mild temps.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
They’re cutting us loose an hour early tonight. Only 1 hour 38 minutes left, but who’s counting. Then I’ll grab a cup of coffee and head to public land to have a listen. Rain stopped here around 11pm and it’s pretty mild temps.
Me driving out to game lands this morning after work to listen from the road side turned into me hiking 3.5 miles in my slip on work boots and beating my feet all to hell lol. Had one lone gobbler gobble once . No response from hens or other toms so I hooted at him and he gobbled once more n fell silent. Went to a different ridge top and had 2 firing off at one another on a public/private boundary line. Hiking back to the vehicle I heard another pair doing the same thing in a different area. Saw 4 toms hanging together on private about 25 yds from the road. Got back to Yancey county and drove by a farm with a big ridge. 4 more toms in a group, 1 biggin fanned out staring at the road and being still like a decoy. Shot at him but I missed considering I was using my hand pointed in the shape of a gun like a 5 year old. 5 yds from them was a group of 20+ Jakes and hens meandering around. I tell ya...that 1st gobble of the morning had me get low to the ground and reach for my shotgun with my heart beating like crazy. Till I realized it’s 3/13, had no gun and was just scouting 😑

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
What gobble I have heard has been late evening well after sunset and even an hour later in total dark. I live right in the middle of these turkeys and see them daily but they are really quiet right now. Usually gobble at everything, doors slamming, crowd even my roosters but not so far this year

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Down here in N GA working on a house. Kinda got a hankering to come back for opening weekend, but I ain’t talked to anybody that’s heard the first gobble 🤷‍♂️ I’m gonna head up the mtn in the morn and have a look/hear see(y)

SM270

Ten Pointer
No gobbles this morning. I know birds are there. Did look over a new tract found a good amount of scratching so it’s promising.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Sporadic roost and ground gobbling by I think three different turkeys. No really heavy gobbling.
Then a big group of bearded birds (11 ithink) fought like hell for a few minutes. I was looking thru binoculars and still was a far piece away and i would have swore there were some full fans in the action but that might have been wishful thinking. :) It was a very fluid situation.

Doesnt really matter though because my landowner /farmer that tends this parcel told me they sprayed it friday.
So they'll likely be gone by the 22nd. But it sure was encouraging for a couple of hrs until i spoke with him.

This is SC.

TrkyJedi

Eight Pointer
Sporadic roost and ground gobbling by I think three different turkeys. No really heavy gobbling.
Then a big group of bearded birds (11 ithink) fought like hell for a few minutes. I was looking thru binoculars and still was a far piece away and i would have swore there were some full fans in the action but that might have been wishful thinking. :) It was a very fluid situation.

Doesnt really matter though because my landowner /farmer that tends this parcel told me they sprayed it friday.
So they'll likely be gone by the 22nd. But it sure was encouraging for a couple of hrs until i spoke with him.

This is SC.
That's bad luck OS, can you possibly hunt them in the woods surrounding the fields? Sometimes after a couple of weeks after spraying they start drifting back to the fields. Good luck OS, I hope they cooperate for you.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
That's bad luck OS, can you possibly hunt them in the woods surrounding the fields? Sometimes after a couple of weeks after spraying they start drifting back to the fields. Good luck OS, I hope they cooperate for you.
the history with this spot suggests it goes dead and i go elsewhere.
Happening so soon is new to me so maybe it comes around later. IDK.
i will waste a trip down before the opener to confirm. I havent seen that many turkeys there since the adjacent tract was clear cut 15 years or so ago.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Normally this time of year I have a flock of about 30 hanging out and hear some good gobbling....this year I have 3 hanging out, with ZERO gobbling. This is the farm around my house.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Good bit of gobble this am here in cabarrus but they have moved half a mile away. Same problem as with deer the hunting pressure is extreme, maybe worse for turkey. Already last week for two evenings in a row this guy was driving the roads and stopping, calling at turkeys from the truck and blind calling with owl hoots trying to roost birds. Don't even have permission to hunt within 2 miles from here but he sure is worried about birds on my property. By the time the season starts he will have these birds were they won't come to a call