Gobblers and big flocks.... who is seeing them?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
rode around little today didn't see any birds out but going to listen in morning for first time hope I stay dry at at least only get damp

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Went a scouted on Butner-Falls today and heard a few gobbles off in the distance, but I don't think they were on the property. Everytime I heard them I was down in a bottom and couldn't really pin down an exact location. Went to another area and got out of the car, closed the car door, and heard a loud gobble not 50 yards away. I immediately got excited and threw out a owl hoot. The turkey gobbled again from the backyard of the house across the street. I walked down the side of the road so I could see around the picket fence and there stands the guys two heritage white pet turkeys. I went from top of the world to complete disappointment in 2 seconds, lol. I will admit that Butner-Falls is kicking my butt. I have walked a hundred miles on different spots and haven't seen one turkey or one track yet. My son drew a youth permit for Butner, so I'm working my butt off to find a turkey for him, lol.
are you starting out in high spot at break of day. No rush we haven't even hit first peak gobbling yet easiest time to find bird is then just pick nice high spot where .can hear in all directions then mark spots don't want to be seeing the birds especially when get close to season they just starting to split will be sign in places where hasn't been soon

are you starting out in high spot at break of day. No rush we haven't even hit first peak gobbling yet easiest time to find bird is then just pick nice high spot where .can hear in all directions then mark spots don't want to be seeing the birds especially when get close to season they just starting to split will be sign in places where hasn't been soon
I have been out there at the break of day, but not in a high spot. I will definitely try that. I think I've been running so many thoughts and scenarios in my head, that I just forgot to just stop and listen. I have a really good area that I know should hold turkeys this spring because there is water, food, and roosting locations. I just need to go back and look again closer to season. I've been checking areas where I have been told that there were turkeys there, but those reports are from deer season. I think I have been chasing ghosts.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I have been out there at the break of day, but not in a high spot. I will definitely try that. I think I've been running so many thoughts and scenarios in my head, that I just forgot to just stop and listen. I have a really good area that I know should hold turkeys this spring because there is water, food, and roosting locations. I just need to go back and look again closer to season. I've been checking areas where I have been told that there were turkeys there, but those reports are from deer season. I think I have been chasing ghosts.
I wouldn't worry at all where seen them in fall/winter that will have you chasing ghosts spring is all about the hens and nesting don't worry about the roosting and water either birds can get water from most anywhere and they'll roost where ever hens roost and that'll be near nesting. Just be there before daylight if gobblers are in area they'll sound off especially here in another week or so I like let gobble on own but I have no issue with pulling a hooter out best is yet to come

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Didn't hear anything this am but saw a group of hens eating my chicken scratch bout 8 am. No redheads in the bunch

Attachments

• 0311190825a.jpg
    0311190825a.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 31

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Is 59 a big flock?:unsure:
I got a roadside video from near beaufort yeterday supposedly of a counted 59 in a field..
Looked like a 159 to me.
We should be relocating those crop destroyers back up here.

witler

Eight Pointer
At our house the turkey eat more corn than the deer. Have seen 10 deer together vs 22 turkeys together, sometimes they are all in the backyard together along with the usual squirrels.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
So a lone hen jogging down the road. Saw a group of birds off in the woods a few miles away where I haven't seen them in a while. I think something was up this morning. Probably a good day to go listen.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
The big flocks Ive been watching for months have disappeared on cue. Every year about the time the maples bloom and the daffodils are their prettiest, they go...
These are the 2 weeks that will fool you. Birds may not be where they are today on the opener.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Haven't been down to where I hunt lately but the Landowner said he seen a flock of about 50 last weekend.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seen a gobbler with a hen on Christian chapel road near the Shearon Harris gameland this evening.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seen a lone gobbler walking behind my neighbors house today which is about 600 yards from my house. :geek:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
From what I'm seeing and hearing even in mtns they've all split pretty good now won't be long now hopefully most hens will be bred in next 2 weeks

Saw a flock of about 25 in a field about 6pm today between Wendell and Knightdale. There were gobblers in the group, but not one was strutting and they were all silent.