Go to Dog hunting gun

Mounthunter987

Button Buck
Guys its been kind of slow in here recently so whats your go to dog hunting gun? What is riding in your front seat? Rifle or shotgun?

Personally its dependant on where im hunting. Currently I have a Browning A5 3.5” (New style). I have a kicks buck kicker in it and shoot Remington 3.5” 00. I carry this gun where ever I go dog hunting. I am in a shotgun only club in Bertie and hunt in Southampton Co. Va.

I also hunt in a club that allows rifles so I have my Browing BAR safari in 25-06 with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50mm.
Remington 11-48. I got an 11/87 I just love the old 48.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Alright...need the dog hunters collective wisdom here...

My lease was clear cut, they didn't start til 10/1 and didn't tell us they were cutting it, so I lost my stands, and hunting it is going to be tough (it's only 50 acres) this year. Wife wants a deer. I want a deer.

It is my plan to try and shoot one in front of my dogs; it's been something I've been debating doing for a couple years anyway. They aren't hounds but German Wirehairs; I've identified a few spots where they've bumped deer and put them in range of me in the past where I can legally run dogs for deer.

Which gun would you bring?
.243 with a 3x scope?
Benelli Duck gun and 00 buckshot, Improved Modified choke (or modified choke)?
Said duck gun with slugs?

I've shot deer with buckshot, but admittedly much closer (like 18 yards.) DRT. I've never sighted in with slugs for this rifle.

Hunting in the woods mostly. Not too thick where I hope to shoot the deer.