Go to Dog hunting gun

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Guys its been kind of slow in here recently so whats your go to dog hunting gun? What is riding in your front seat? Rifle or shotgun?

Personally its dependant on where im hunting. Currently I have a Browning A5 3.5” (New style). I have a kicks buck kicker in it and shoot Remington 3.5” 00. I carry this gun where ever I go dog hunting. I am in a shotgun only club in Bertie and hunt in Southampton Co. Va.

I also hunt in a club that allows rifles so I have my Browing BAR safari in 25-06 with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50mm.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I use rifle and shotgun. I have a Rem. 870 Wingmaster w/30" full choke that's deadly with 000, a Rem. SP 11-87 slug gun that has been used to kill a bunch of deer. A Savage 220 slug gun that works good. Rifles that might carry are a .338 Marlin Express or Marlin XS7 7-08mm. A lot of the time I have my .44 Super Redhawk on when my Lady is riding along, I let her do the shooting. Well, most of the time. Haven't shot at one with the .44 yet! What I carry often depends on what seems like the challenge for the day. Parts of the club we can use rifles from the ground some we can't.

Last edited:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Shotgun is a Franchi Affinity 3” with a buck kicker XF, slinging rem 00. I’ll probably have a red dot on it by this fall.

Rifle is a AR, in 6.5 Grendel, with a FF3 slinging 120gr Fusions.

klim

Twelve Pointer
Browning Gold 28 inch barrel with Kicks buckicker full choke shooting my hand rolled 3 inch 16 pellet “0” nickel plated loads.

As far as rifle most of the time it’s one of my 270’s Either my Browning Abolt or Ruger Mark II. Most of the time I leave my magnum caliber rifles in the safe for still hunting.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
If it’s hogs or deer with a rifle I like my 7.62x39 AR or the 450bushy

if it’s bear, I only have one gun I carry bear hunting. It’s my bear gun. An ‘84 model Belgian BAR in 30:06. All stock except for the notches carved all down the stock.

Y’all would prolly laugh, but I’ve never shot game with a round of buckshot. Have never hunted a zone or county that had rifle limits.

Redman6

Four Pointer
SBE bought new in 93. Does not come out of truck much.Comp n choke x full. 3" Win #1. No rifles or slugs where we hunt.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I really want me a 30 06 7600 carbine to bear hunt with but they have gone sky high.
While the 7600 has never exactly been at the top of my list, I did run across a 7600 carbine in .35 Whelen last week that sorely tempted me. First one in .35 Whelen I’ve seen in a coon’s age.

It was the synthetic version, topped with a Leupold Vari X ii 2x7. If I didn’t already have a dozen project guns on my plate, I would have bought it, especially at the price of $300. It needs some work, but nothing major, and I’ve had an inkling for another .35 Whelen.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
While the 7600 has never exactly been at the top of my list, I did run across a 7600 carbine in .35 Whelen last week that sorely tempted me. First one in .35 Whelen I’ve seen in a coon’s age.

It was the synthetic version, topped with a Leupold Vari X ii 2x7. If I didn’t already have a dozen project guns on my plate, I would have bought it, especially at the price of $300. It needs some work, but nothing major, and I’ve had an inkling for another .35 Whelen.

is it still availabe?

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I honestly couldn’t tell you. A guy that works for the city out here in Kansas has it. He offered it to me last Tuesday, so I suspect at that price, he’s likely sold it. I can find out for sure tomorrow when I see him.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I have 2 old 870's that shot factory buckshot pretty good. But since I haven gotten older, and started loading my own buckshot, I tend to favor my Benelli M2. I have a 0 and a 00 load that shoots real good out of it. I also have a new model A5 that shoots these same loads pretty good but I tend to shoot this gun low. Thought about selling it but during these times not sure I want to move any gun. I do occasionally use a rifle and it would be my Browning X Bold Hells Canyon in 6.5 Creedmoor.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
is it still availabe?
Just talked to him, he sold it Tuesday afternoon. Like I said before, if I didn’t have a dozen other project guns I’m working on right now, I’d have it. I just need to finish some of these up and rehome them so I can free up some space...lol!!

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
if you see another 35 whelen or 3006 7600/760 carbine for sale for $300 you better jump on it or call me. That was a steal. THem jokers are $1000 plus right now.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
I prefer rifles over shotguns, if the club permits...a lot of deer know where your truck is and peak out at about 200 yds, and the rifle lets you touch them at that distance.

Action really doesn’t matter bc most often you only get one shot.

Keep the scope set on 6x

I like a bullet that exits...gimme a little blood and the dogs will find him, even in thick brush...accubonds, NPs, fusions, and heavy soft points work well

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
I prefer rifles over shotguns, if the club permits...a lot of deer know where your truck is and peak out at about 200 yds, and the rifle lets you touch them at that distance.

Action really doesn’t matter bc most often you only get one shot.

Keep the scope set on 6x

I like a bullet that exits...gimme a little blood and the dogs will find him, even in thick brush...accubonds, NPs, fusions, and heavy soft points work well
Most clubs around here someone is going to be down the road from you inside of 200 yds. The club I grew up hunting in is shotgun only and there was 20+ trucks hunting on a Wednesday or Saturday. It was gonna be lined up tight if there is a good chase going on.

I ain't much for rifles on the pulp wood paths but that isn't how I grew up hunting. Different strokes for different folks.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
our club has set dog men,,, I am one of them,,,
we have plenty of land, but it's in blocks,,, we keep our dogs in bounds,,,
our dog drives are more like a dog assisted man drive,,,
kind of like rabbit hunting deer,,,

I carry a short barreled 12 gauge side by side,,,
short enough that when I put my arm straight, holding the gun wrist, the barrels don't touch the ground
stout enough of stock that it helps me get up when I inevitable find myself in a sink hole in some clearcut,,,
shots for me are 0 to 25 yards,,, anything past that is left for the standers,,,,heck most of the deer we jump are left to the standers,,,, I shot ZERO times last season during a drive (who wants to drag a deer out of some of the places my dogs and I get into???)

getting ready to work up a "tri-ball" load,,, 3 each 6o caliber lead balls,,,, I reckon that qualifies as "buckshot"

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Get on BoobTube and look up BubbaRountree, he has already done all the legwork on that for you. Ole Wade is pretty sharp on that stuff.

I already have load data,,,, could be the same fellow,,, just tweaking for my guns,,,

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Guys its been kind of slow in here recently so whats your go to dog hunting gun? What is riding in your front seat? Rifle or shotgun?

Personally its dependant on where im hunting. Currently I have a Browning A5 3.5” (New style). I have a kicks buck kicker in it and shoot Remington 3.5” 00. I carry this gun where ever I go dog hunting. I am in a shotgun only club in Bertie and hunt in Southampton Co. Va.

I also hunt in a club that allows rifles so I have my Browing BAR safari in 25-06 with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50mm.

i carry my wicked wing A5 surefire mag ext to hold 7+1 on 3.5's rectifire 687 choke & either winchester double x 3.5 00 or my handloaded 3.5" single ought. My go to doggin shotgun. And my marlin 336 in 35 remington is close by anything farther my buddy keeps his 270 in the truck

Mophet

Button Buck
i carry my wicked wing A5 surefire mag ext to hold 7+1 on 3.5's rectifire 687 choke & either winchester double x 3.5 00 or my handloaded 3.5" single ought. My go to doggin shotgun. And my marlin 336 in 35 remington is close by anything farther my buddy keeps his 270 in the truck
I also have a 35 Remington 336. Great rifle!

Mophet

Button Buck
I just joined a club that runs dogs. I’ll be using my Remington 870 21” barrel with extra full Remington extended choke. I’ll see how that does for this season.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just joined a club that runs dogs. I’ll be using my Remington 870 21” barrel with extra full Remington extended choke. I’ll see how that does for this season.
It will do just fine. You will need to pattern it and find the best choke/buckshot combo it likes.

johnnyk2000

Eight Pointer

I have the same gun and same length barrel. Mine shoots modified choke best with several different types of buckshot

Mophet

Button Buck
I have the same gun and same length barrel. Mine shoots modified choke best with several different types of buckshot
I use an extra full turkey choke and get a really tight pattern with 00 buck. At 25 yards it’s about 6 inches across the pattern.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got a decent safe crammed full and I can't pick an all-purpose for dogging. I usually carry a Browning A Bolt in 300wsm, an old Marlin 30-30 levergun, and sometimes an old long-barreled 12 gauge double loaded with buckshot. Reason being is I never know where they're gonna want me to go but I do know it's most like to involve a beanfield or a swamp...or both, so I choose accordingly. This year I'm gonna slip my AR into the mix loaded with some 75gr Hornady BTHPs.
I always tell the huntmaster to just put me where they least expect the deer to go. My two best have come from doing that, long after the dogs were out of earshot.....