Gluten free beer?

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
A blood test says my body doesn’t like gluten & is causing it to attack my thyroid. Lame. But it’s not too late for me to make lifestyle changes.

Given, one change should be complete abstinence from alcohol, but I’m gunna start w a reduction. Anyways…

Anybody know a place to buy gluten free beer, in eastern NC? Google says Charlotte has a brewery that makes some but I haven’t seen & can’t find that beer here (Cumberland County).

I don’t like soda or seltzers. Albeit, I might give them another chance. I do like liquor but the point for me isn’t to get hammered, which is why I like sipping on a beer vs liquor.

Thanks!

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Silver Bullets. Coors Light is rice based, or was years ago when I affiliated with someone in same situation.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The typo in your thread title (fixed it) made me think you were looking for gluten free honey or beee products. lol.

Have you considered just switching to hard liquor? Its gluten free. So are most liqueurs.

rrednek

Spike
Found in an internet search:

• Miller High Life can be a good choice. It has less than 5ppm gluten.
  • The Alt Brew Brewery in Wisconsin has multiple gluten-free beer options. Two of the seven options available are Rustic Badger Belgian Ale and Hollywood Nights Blonde India Pale Ale.
  • Anheuser-Busch has one single gluten-free option, Redbridge Lager.
  • Armored Cow Brewing, North Carolina, USA, has two gluten-free options, Whole Lotta Rosie Blonde Ale and Hell Yeah NEIPA.
  • Aurochs Brewing Company in Pennsylvania has gluten-free beers options in Blonde Ale, Session Ale, and many more.
  • Blueprint Brewing Company of Pennsylvania has three gluten-free options, Elvis White Ale, Blue Skies Pale Ale, and Tribal Stout

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
redbridge isnt bad and is gluten free. had a buddy that had celiacs disease and it was about the only beer he could drink. its sourgum beer i think but doesnt taste much different than a normal lager.

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
My wife has a gluten intolerance and she likes the ciders and lemonade type drinks. Simply actually just came out with a bunch of limeaide flavors and she's a big fan of those.

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
The typo in your thread title (fixed it) made me think you were looking for gluten free honey or beee products. lol.

Have you considered just switching to hard liquor? Its gluten free. So are most liqueurs.

Thanks for the correction, lol

Yeah. I like liquor. The funny thing is that I’ve had a joke the past few New Years that my resolution was to drink more beer. That way I’d drink less liquor, with the hope that the end result would be less alcohol consumed. Reality is probably that I consumed the same alcohol amount. Of course it was mostly a joke anyway.

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
Found in an internet search:

• Miller High Life can be a good choice. It has less than 5ppm gluten.
  • The Alt Brew Brewery in Wisconsin has multiple gluten-free beer options. Two of the seven options available are Rustic Badger Belgian Ale and Hollywood Nights Blonde India Pale Ale.
  • Anheuser-Busch has one single gluten-free option, Redbridge Lager.
  • Armored Cow Brewing, North Carolina, USA, has two gluten-free options, Whole Lotta Rosie Blonde Ale and Hell Yeah NEIPA.
  • Aurochs Brewing Company in Pennsylvania has gluten-free beers options in Blonde Ale, Session Ale, and many more.
  • Blueprint Brewing Company of Pennsylvania has three gluten-free options, Elvis White Ale, Blue Skies Pale Ale, and Tribal Stout
Thanks for the research! There are some beers out there but I can’t seem to find them in the local stores. I’ll keep a lookout for what you found too!

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
redbridge isnt bad and is gluten free. had a buddy that had celiacs disease and it was about the only beer he could drink. its sourgum beer i think but doesnt taste much different than a normal lager.
I missed this. Awesome. I’ll look for it. Apparently it’s at Harris Teeter. Thanks!

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
Watch your Charlotte brewers they are generally woke as heck. Got a long story but called noda one day and a lady stopped me to force her preferred pronouns. Idiot, they were she/her.

Had a buddy that said he likes when people use their pronouns. That way he knows to stay away from them. 🤣

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
I’ll check out these. I’ll do some research on some lower sugar versions. Thanks!
No problem, I think there are different brands that are low sugar or even sugar free like the seltzers, but I know you said you aren't a fan of those. Good luck! She actually has a wheat allergy which is different from a gluten intolerance, but basically if it's gluten free she can have it, she found out because of a bad rash she had on her face and it took forever for them to figure out what it was, let me tell you that SUCKED, for her and me lol. But it's all good now. If you ever go looking for a good gluten free breader for frying stuff I've tried several concoctions

Last edited:

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
The worst will be pasta, gluten free pasta generally sucks. I've heard bread is worse but she's not a bread person anyway so we haven't even tried it

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
The worst will be pasta, gluten free pasta generally sucks. I've heard bread is worse but she's not a bread person anyway so we haven't even tried it
My wife has found some decent versions of gluten free pasta. She’s ahead of the “your body reacts to normal foods” learning curve than I am.

For what it’s worth, gluten is actually pretty horrible for people even without an allergy or intolerance. Take grain fed livestock as an example: grain fattens them right up & it’s actually also bad for your brain.

DozerD

Six Pointer
Omission brewing co makes a good gf pale ale. My wife used to drink it when she cut out gluten. I believe we would find it at Harris Teeter and possibly Lowe’s foods