Glock handguns

trjr3700

Button Buck
My wife and I are going to fund the purchase of a Glock pistol for our daughter (her preliminary choice). I am looking for feedback on Glocks - positive and negative. Also, suggestions for alternative manufacturers with models geared for females.

Thanks

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Glocks are great guns but id look at a revolver for for several reasons unless she is very familiar with semi auto pistols. I've seen Glocks and other autos jam when fired by females that don't have the wrist strength to hold the gun firm to allow a solid and smooth shell ejection. Also a revolver will very simple to load, unloaded and chamber so to speak. My wife has trouble working slides on automatic pistols. Magazines can also get hard to load when near capacity. Now if she is an avid shooter and knows guns throw all this out the window, its hars to beat a Glock. They are simple and extremely reliable. Reasonably priced considering as well. No disrespect meant to you or your daughter, please don't think I am being negative.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Glock G43 or G43x would be good choices.

Glock alternative would be a S&W EZ9 or Shield 9. Taurus G3. Kahr CW9 or P9. Sig 365.

A G43 would be really hard to beat unless she has trouble racking the slide on the 43 then the S&W EZ9 is the top choice. There's a Pro model of the EZ9 now that is really nice and shoots well. The EZ magazines are really EASY to load.

<>< Fish

pikepole20

Four Pointer
I have several glocks and like them all. Good firearms. If it is a first gun it is hard to beat a revolver. I would opt for stainless and good sights in .38 special. A model 66 comes to mind. If auto is the decision. I lean to to Glock 43x or EZ9. The EZ 380 is easy to operate also with little recoil.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

gpduxbak

Six Pointer
Glocks are great guns but id look at a revolver for for several reasons unless she is very familiar with semi auto pistols. I've seen Glocks and other autos jam when fired by females that don't have the wrist strength to hold the gun firm to allow a solid and smooth shell ejection. Also a revolver will very simple to load, unloaded and chamber so to speak. My wife has trouble working slides on automatic pistols. Magazines can also get hard to load when near capacity. Now if she is an avid shooter and knows guns throw all this out the window, its hars to beat a Glock. They are simple and extremely reliable. Reasonably priced considering as well. No disrespect meant to you or your daughter, please don't think I am being negative.
i have 8 glocks but this is all really good advice. I rarely ever remember a malfunction but I’ve seen it happen with my 14 year old son from the wrist strength comment. If you go with Glock I’d look strongly at the 43x and purchase the aftermarket shield arms magazine. Essentially You’ll end up with a 16 round single stack that way.

Lee

Six Pointer
I would recommend letting her test fire a Glock or other semi. If she can rack the slide and grip it tight enough for proper cycling then it should be near the top of the list.

I love revolvers for hunting and plinking and have multiples. but a semi is better for defense. Quick to load and reload.

I enjoy firing night courses with revolver shooters. Everyone should have to reload their handgun in total darkness a few times. Dropping an empty magazine and inserting a full one is easy even with your eyes closed.

Having to feel to know that all the empty brass fell out of the cylinder and then loading a revolver with speed loaders or singles is entertaining.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
In terms of reliability, you’ll do no better.
I have a bucket full of Glocks, all the way up to 10mm. They’ve been flawless. I carry one daily and have thousands upon thousands of rounds through it.

My 642 airweight is my wife’s least favorite gun to shoot. The recoil is stiff, it’s loud, and hard to shoot accurately. She runs a 9mm Shield/G42/G43 like a pro.

Oh, and as far as revolvers not jamming...my 642 has. Dads 442 blew up in his hand, cylinder got out of time. Revolvers may be less prone to jamming but when they do jam, they’re a paperweight.
I can clear an auto.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A .22 caliber double action revolver would be a great gun for a first time owner. Easy to load, easy to tell when it is loaded, easy to shoot, accurate, no recoil, and deadly to an intruder. And it will not blow up in your hand. Glocks are great guns, but all the things mentioned above about limp wristing, difficulty loading ammo into the magazines, operating the slide, etc., are legitimate issues.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
As a family we own several and have never had any issues what so ever with any of them. I have a G36 and a G33. My son has a G36, my 20yr old daughter a G43 and my wife a G42. I currently have a G43 on order for my wife because after spending some time shooting our daughters she decided she wants a 43. Glocks aren't pretty or flashy but they are reliable and seem to shoot anything you feed them. You can't go wrong with a Glock imo.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I got my wife a G43, she likes it but limp wrist's it on occasion and it will jam. If I was starting over I would probably go with a revolver.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Own a G43 and G42 currently. The 43 is my standard carry and have never had trouble with it. We just purchased the 42 for my wife.
First time out it kept jamming on her. I would take the gun and run 2 clips through it with no issues. Back to her and it would jam. I can only assume it was the limp wrist syndrome.
I burned 200 rounds through it and added a Taran Tactical +2 base and new spring to both mags. She can shoot it just fine now. Probably needed some rounds to work the kinks out.
Now we are just waiting on her CC paperwork to come back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanAmMan

Twelve Pointer
Just bought a Glock 48 and love it! We got my wife a S&W Ladysmith 38special and she loves it! One reason we got it is because it is hammerless and when carrying in her pocketbook there is no hammer to catch on anything.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
I appreciate all of the feedback. Good stuff. My daughter is completing BLET and really likes the Glock. Sounds like they are a solid, reliable choice. Thanks again!
This above (y) and unless she was sponsored by an agency that she knows what they run, the likelihood of her service gun being a Glock or Smith M&P is 99%. Both are very popular with LE Agencies because of adjustable backstraps and interoperability between 6'5" 275 lb "Big hands Bubba" to 5'1" 120 lb small hands suzie. I own Glocks from Gen 1-5 most in. 40Cal but when we bought my wife an M&P compact in 9mm I liked the gun so much I now own 3 of them ( in .40 and .357 SIG )and 1 full size. They are awesome firearms and are a little more rounded and refined than the Glock IMO.

Last bit of advice is gonna contradict all that above LOL. After you buy a Glock and spend the money (lets say $300) on tuning gear (guide rods, better springs, trigger work, tritium day/night sights to get rid of the crappy factory sights, etc...) you now have a $8-900 Glock than runs and shoots almost as good as my Sig 226 or 229 out of the box for the same money or a little less. Have her look and shoot the Sig 229 for comparison. The difference out of the box in triggers is night and day.

sparkyemtp

Eight Pointer
I appreciate all of the feedback. Good stuff. My daughter is completing BLET and really likes the Glock. Sounds like they are a solid, reliable choice. Thanks again!
I will go along with what some others have said. If she is about to complete BLET, then she has been through her firearms portion or will very soon. The firearms that she will utilize there would be something that I would look very close at. She has become familiar with that model which most places now use the Glock 17 or a S&W model. The 17 is a good gun and functions well. I shoot regularly and my 17 does well.