Glock 43 vs. S&W M&P9 Shield

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Having recently been involved in an active-shooter situation (with my kids), I have decided that I never want to be unarmed in that situation again.
I've narrowed the choices for my dedicated concealed-carry pistol down to a Glock 43 or the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield.

I have done my research, shot both, and am looking for input from the gun guys on this forum to point out anything I might not have considered before I purchase.

Thanks in advance!

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I had a shield and sold it. I preferred with the extended mags, but I am not a fan of compact pistols at all due the my larger hands. The shield I had never gave me any issues and it was a reliable gun. It just wasn’t for me. I prefer full sized pistols and as such that is what I carry daily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Agreed on the large pistols, although I don't have huge hands. I've got a G19 in the truck, and a G34 in the safe for target/competition shooting. Maybe I already have the answer, but at 6'3 and 195 lbs my frame does not conceal even a mid-size pistol very well, especially in the warmer months...

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Both good options. My Brother has the shield and I have the 42. I got it before they came out with the 43 but most likely would have picked it over the 42. I like how the glock fit my hand and it just seemed a little more streamlined for everyday carry. The shield is comfortable but the little things like the rubber grip and extra serrations seem to hang up just a little more.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Naturally, the larger pistols are more fun to shoot, but not to carry concealed. I own the G43 and carry it some, but it is still much more to carry than the LCP II. I find myself carrying the LCP II all the time either in front or back pants pocket.
Have you thought about the SIG P365? Same size as the two you mentioned, but with 10 round mag. Better sights too, I think. I haven't actually seen one yet, but will probably buy one when I do.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
I've got medium sized hands and I really like the Shield. I can't get past the $449 price tag on the Glock 43, when a gen 1 Shield can be picked up for about $350. Not that the Glock 43 isn't a good handgun, but Glock was late to the game and a $100 price difference is substantial to me. I'm a Glock guy too, but Smith stepped up the game with the M&P series to me. The Shield is with me daily, and I carry it OWB. Easily concealed with an untucked T-shirt. I'm 5' 11" and 200lbs.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Both are fine pieces and it will come down to preference for ergonomics, grip angle, feel and natural comfort as Glock has more of a square grip angle compared to S&W, Springfield and others. A good way to see which suits your natural shooting style is to close your eyes, point the gun at a target, open your eyes and see which is more naturally aimed where you intend to shoot. Having shot 1911 pistols for most of my life the Glock grip angle does not suit my personal style so I would defer to the S&W (or my personal favorite any of the XD models), but Glocks are damned reliable and uber durable pistols. Another thing to consider might be the style of sights (obviously these can be changed out) that suits your eye better.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I have a 23 that I carry occasionally...When I started selling real estate I found myself in a situation where I felt uncomfortable with the person I met, the 23 was in the truck...I handled both the 42 and the 43 and felt the 43 was just a tad too large to drop down in your front pocket...I went with the 42 and a sticky holster...I carry an extra mag in the left pocket and can carry without it printing...

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I’ve had both and of the 2 the glock just fit better to me and was a lil easier to carry. They both ran reliably and I’ve got a couple buddies that carry the shield in 9 and .40 daily and love them. But like nchawkeye I tend to pocket carry more so the 42 fit that better. You can’t go wrong with either I tend to sway towards the shield model with no thumb safety since that’s one more thing to remember if it’s ever needed and why I like the glocks so much.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Great input guys - thank you!

I've shot both the G43 and the M&P9, and results were very similar. The Sig is at a bit higher price point than I'm targeting. That said, as Nate pointed out, paying $100 more for the Glock (even though I like the idea of a third Glock 9mm for simplicity's sake) would be tough to do when the S&W is $350. And it already has a nicely-textured grip and an active thumb safety that I like.

Which brings me to one more question: There is an M&P9 2.0 which has no active thumb safety. Why go to the trouble to offer a model without a safety, when if someone does not want the safety, they can just click it off? Am I missing something here - is there something inherently 'better' about a pistol with no safety? I wish my Glocks had one...

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Great input guys - thank you!

I've shot both the G43 and the M&P9, and results were very similar. The Sig is at a bit higher price point than I'm targeting. That said, as Nate pointed out, paying $100 more for the Glock (even though I like the idea of a third Glock 9mm for simplicity's sake) would be tough to do when the S&W is $350. And it already has a nicely-textured grip and an active thumb safety that I like.

Which brings me to one more question: There is an M&P9 2.0 which has no active thumb safety. Why go to the trouble to offer a model without a safety, when if someone does not want the safety, they can just click it off? Am I missing something here - is there something inherently 'better' about a pistol with no safety? I wish my Glocks had one...

No sir, nothing better about them guess it just boils down to personal preference on safety vs no safety. I have a s&w body guard .380 I carry some that I just leave the saftey flipped off.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If the gun has a manual safety, there's always a chance it will be inadvertently engaged. Personally, I think a manual safety is a redundant feature and totally unnecessary on a Glock. If a manual safety is a deal-breaker, there are many other platforms that offer them.

ETA: As a point of context for my post, I think the safety lever on the Shield is too small to be disengaged at speed but just large to enough to be engaged inadvertently. Some platforms have well designed safety controls, the Shield isn't one of them IMO.

Last edited:

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If the gun has a manual safety, there's always a chance it will be inadvertently engaged. Personally, I think a manual safety is a redundant feature and totally unnecessary on a Glock. If a manual safety is a deal-breaker, there are many other platforms that offer them.

ETA: As a point of context for my post, I think the safety lever on the Shield is too small to be disengaged at speed but just large to enough to be engaged inadvertently. Some platforms have well designed safety controls, the Shield isn't one of them IMO.

Exactly. I am not a fan of manual safetys on a defensive pistol.
Just my preference.

As for the Shield and G43, they are both solid pistols. I thought the 43 too be slightly snappier. I am a Glock fan, but I bought the Shield over the 43.

Whichever you buy, carry it. And a spare mag.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have shot most of the compacts and have found that there's not really a whole lot of difference in their shooting ability, it's the carrying comfort that makes the biggest difference. I actually prefer the LC9sPro to all of them if you can find one. It's in your price point and is a great carrying pistol without the safety. Ruger has made these little pistols almost bulletproof and they will eat anything that you want to load in them from day one.
I don't like the Glock, it just sits too high in my XL hands and the grip is just wrong, I like the Shield with a grip cover, they shoot well but have too many square points of contact for carrying to my liking. I prefer the little Ruger at this point...but I'm always looking...that new SIG 365 has my eye.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
There is a longstanding debate about manual safeties on striker fired pistols. Some believe they potentially cause more problems than they intend to solve as the gun cannot fire without the trigger being pressed, most of the guns also have a grip safety and many people do not practice enough to become proficient in properly manipulating a manual safety. Others argue the fact that they are a good idea as it creates a second intentional action in order for the gun to be fired. In a striker fired pistol the manual safety is actually a third safety behind the striker blocking safety and the grip safety. Shooting a 1911 my whole adult life I learned early how to operate the manual or thumb safety and prefer a pistol with one (non ambidextrous) as it is a confidence thing to me knowing the gun is able or not to be fired...regardless of the striker safety and grip safety.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm not opposed to manual safeties, they have their place with certain designs. I just don't care for controls that are poorly designed or appear to be an after thought.

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Glock 43 vs. S&W M&P9 Shield

I have a shield that I really like. It’s a great shooter and fits my hand well. I carry it in my pack while hiking (I go on hikes 2-3 times a week). That being said I just can’t move away from pocket carrying my lcp any other time

It doesn’t hurt I got my shield for 250 last summer when they had the mail in rebate

Last edited:

SCnative

Spike
Agreed on the large pistols, although I don't have huge hands. I've got a G19 in the truck, and a G34 in the safe for target/competition shooting. Maybe I already have the answer, but at 6'3 and 195 lbs my frame does not conceal even a mid-size pistol very well, especially in the warmer months...

Not trying to steer you in another direction, but you already have a midsize (G19), a fullsize (G34), so have you thought about a little pistol like an LCP instead? Mouse gun for summer and G19 for cooler weather. Just a thought. My LCP gets the nod over my others most of the time just due to concealment options via pocket, IWB, appendix, etc. I carry a fullsize M&P when I can and depending where I'm at. I'd like to get a shield too and probably will sooner or later.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well, you guys have given me a lot to think about. There is the conceal-ability of the Ruger, the capacity (12 rounds!) of the Sig, active-safety considerations, various price points, and of course the feel/fit in the hand.

It's nice to have choices - but not so great to have analysis paralysis. This will not be an easy decision, but one that I'm sure will then lead to a "which holster?" thread...

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
The 43 was just to small/short for my hands. I bought a G19 and carry it most of the time. My son has a Shield he carries also has a G19. Guess it boils down to what fits your hands the best and what feels the best when carrying and shooting.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
I have a shield that I really like. It’s a great shooter and fits my hand well. I carry it in my pack while hiking (I go on hikes 2-3 times a week). That being said I just can’t move away from pocket carrying my lcp any other time

It doesn’t hurt I got my shield for 250 last summer when they had the mail in rebate

I bought an extra for this exact reason. $250 for a single stack 9mm of exceptional quality, why would you consider a lower grade firearm with a S&W at that price? Just too good to pass up. My shield is my hiking choice also.

The new 2.0 grip is nicer to me than the original grip which I put a talon grip on. I wouldn’t recommend carrying it against your skin, due you’ll rub a raw spot, but in your hands it locks in. Excellent factory stippling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
S&W 642 with Hornady critical defense...i don’t use a holster with mine, as it has a long DA only pull, but you may choose to...very thin, very light, very concealable...100% reliable...~$350...tucks in any pocket, including the change pocket in my jeans

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Appendix carry!

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Having recently been involved in an active-shooter situation (with my kids), I have decided that I never want to be unarmed in that situation again.
I've narrowed the choices for my dedicated concealed-carry pistol down to a Glock 43 or the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield.

I have done my research, shot both, and am looking for input from the gun guys on this forum to point out anything I might not have considered before I purchase.

Thanks in advance!

I usually refrain from derailing threads as best I can but I thought I'd throw this out there.

One of my Instructor pals took possession of the new Sig 365 this past week. He and another Instructor pal took a few minutes yesterday afternoon to wring it out a bit. I got a report last night and everything was "thumbs up". My pal giving me the low down is a hardcore Glock fan and he is impressed enough that he plans to add one to his inventory.

The gun functioned flawlessly, had a great trigger and he reports the gun is mild shooting for such a small package. The sights (plain rear w/Tritium front standard) are adequate as-is and he reported having absolutely no problem ringing a steel silhouette at 50 yards with boring regularity. 10 or 12 rounds in such a small gun is impressive and I suspect SIG will sell a zillion of them. Long-term durability and overall reliability remains to be determined, but preliminary performance is certainly promising.

The tab is a bit more than the G43 or the Shield but it is what it is. Additionally, SIG magazines have a history of being pricey and the 365 is no exception ..... about $50 a pop last time I checked. This should get better with time.

Anyhow, something to consider in addition to your two initial options.

Glock 43 on left, Sig 365 in the middle, Shield on right

Last edited:

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I usually refrain from derailing threads as best I can but I thought I'd throw this out there.

One of my Instructor pals took possession of the new Sig 365 this past week. He and another Instructor pal took a few minutes yesterday afternoon to wring it out a bit. I got a report last night and everything was "thumbs up". My pal giving me the low down is a hardcore Glock fan and he is impressed enough that he plans to add one to his inventory.

You're not derailing anything - I appreciate the additional input. After a few different responses to this thread mentioned the P365 I did a little research. The article below started to sway me:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/handguns/first-look-sig-sauer-p365/

I may just have to pony up for the Sig, but not until I get a chance to shoot one. The 10-12 round capacity and excellent trigger in a double-stack that has the same dimensions of single-stack 7-round pistols really has me intrigued.

Also, I took the kids back to the same movie theater today to see the 2nd half of the movie that we missed in the 'active shooter' scenario a few weeks ago that started my search for a concealed carry pistol. I felt naked the entire show, and refuse to do it again. Just wish that the new Sigs had fully populated gun shops' cases and shooting range's rental cabinets a little more than they have so far.

Thanks for the input and recommendation - it will definitely be taken into consideration...

BackCreek

Spike
I own two shield 9mm's and I like both, but after shooting my buddy's 43 I have to admit I really like it and will most likely purchase one in the very near future for a personal carry gun.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the input guys.

I ended up getting a Shield. It was much less expensive than the G43, felt better in the hand, and checked all the boxes. The Sig was a strong consideration, but had to be ordered and was almost twice the price of the Shield. I went with the 2.0 with the manual 1911-style safety for under $350...