glass topped stove repair,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
dang, honey-do's cut into goof off time,,,,

so these Invented in Hades devices aren't like the old style,,,, lift up burner, pull out, pop new one in and lower,,,

nooooooo,,,

first, stores don't carry them,, to expensive I guess,,,
ordered it back in July,,,, delivered toward end of August,,,

Wife, in sweet voice "that's OK Honey,,,, fix it when you get back from out West",,,,

sweet,,,

got back,,, had to go find a used freezer (had one die a while ago and never replaced,,, need space for elk meat),,, then the not so subtle hints started,,,

"when ya gonna fix my stove"??? etc

today My Wife,,,

437 screws later, the part is replaced,,, but hole for the last grounding wire is wallowed,,, nothing to correct at homestead,,, off to Store I go,,,

get back just nice,,, all goes together well,,, throw breaker and turn on that burner

POP

flips the breaker,,,,

"What the???"

take it all back apart, check wires,,,

well,,, maybe those two are to close together,,,

adjust everything, have to rotate burner a bit,,,,

put it all back together, turn on breaker,,, and check burner,,,

works

turned them all on,,,

still works,,,,

Wife will smile when she gets home,,,

that chore done,,,

now to get ready for next boondoggle!!

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
ha!

I’ve replaced the top, one burner, both oven elements, and thermostat on our builder grade stoven.

Finally bought a new dishwasher after replacing several parts on the old one. Old one was so loud you could hardly watch tv when it ran.

Replaced Icemaker on fridge, and door hinges twice.

Clothes washer has gotten a new pump and dogs for the agitator (several times). Dryer gets new thermocouples regularly. I keep bags of agitator dogs and thermocouples taped to the side of each. Dryer also got a new heating element a couple years ago, and I feel like I replaced something in the squirrel cage too.

Put a new thermocouple on the HVAC air handler and a new pilot/???? thingy on a gas log fireplace.

All that reminds me I need to replace my water heater anode.

I’ve lived in this house 11 years. By comparison, my grandparents bought a refrigerator in the 40s when my mom was in elementary school.

That refrigerator stopped working in 2017.

…because of a power surge.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
By comparison, my grandparents bought a refrigerator in the 40s when my mom was in elementary school.

That refrigerator stopped working in 2017.

…because of a power surge.

that's the aggravating part,,, made things (appliances, cars, etc) so complicated that they don't last because of this BS or that,,,,

and with ya on the repairs,,, and the sick part is I actually like doing it!! dang dryer belt went out,,, laundry room is tiny in this house, that was a PAIN!

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
@woodmoose got one that works every few years for you, get some points when you have time

Get the vacuum out, remove a couple of screws, take the belt off, or just leave it with the removed screws, sit around, watch TV, catch up work, surf the interweb and as you notice her pulling into the driveway, sit back down with the vacuum cleaner, and when she opens the door, wipe the sweat from your brow, finish the last few screws and say "There thats fixed, glad i was home when that broke so i could fix it" pop it upright and walk out of the room into the kitchen for a coffee/water with a strut like you just figured out world hunger

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My wife grew up in a household where every little minor repair was done by calling someone in the Yellow Pages. Every time I fix something around the house, it's like I'm a hero. I should go around breaking stuff.

Although my better half did not grow up with that luxury, she does treat me well when I repair something she thinks is at the end of it's useful life. I absolutely hate to dispose of anything unless it is at the point of costing more to repair or maintain than a replacement costs...

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
that's the aggravating part,,, made things (appliances, cars, etc) so complicated that they don't last because of this BS or that,,,,

and with ya on the repairs,,, and the sick part is I actually like doing it!! dang dryer belt went out,,, laundry room is tiny in this house, that was a PAIN!

I like doing it too. One of the few things in my day with immediate satisfaction.

...and my laundry room is too small too!

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Although my better half did not grow up with that luxury, she does treat me well when I repair something she thinks is at the end of it's useful life. I absolutely hate to dispose of anything unless it is at the point of costing more to repair or maintain than a replacement costs...

i sincerely believe my girl would much rather get a new one.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just finally fixed my wife's glass top stove this week. We've been using just 3 burners for 2.5 years now. Wife bought the replacement burner 6 month ago, but would not let me replace it without help from one of my cousins...which opportunity has never presented itself. Even though I assured her it should be easy and I could do it alone. Well, the wife had to make an emergency trip for a few days to help her mom. While she was gone, I found the new burner and had it replaced and working in about 15 minutes.

Now, if I can just get my water pressure tank replaced and my truck fixed, I'll be a lot poorer, but all caught up on major repairs...for now.