Give me some book suggestions

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
A walk in the woods is my all time favorite. Read it for sure.

For fiction, I forgot the author, but there's a whole series on Bob Lee swagger (the movie "shooter") that I really enjoyed. Read them in order, but the one about JFK was my favorite.

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
There’s 2 thriller / mystery series about Game Wardens : Joe Pickett by CJBox and Mike Bowditch by Paul Doiron. There’s a cable series been made out of Joe Pickett ( it’s not bad). Anything by Terry Johnson, good series Titus Bass IIRC, on the Fur Trapping history.

kyle7630

Twelve Pointer
I'm on The Fourth Turning. It's an interesting read so far. It's different than what I thought it was going to be but it still keeps me turning the pages.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The lie that wouldn't die: The Protocols of the Elders of Zion
By: Hadassa Ben-Itto

One Second After
By: William Forstchen

Hunting the Jackal
By Billy Waugh

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Anything by Tim McLaurin and also Bland Simpson, both NC authors. McLaurin has passed now but wrote some thought provoking tales about growing up around Fayetteville and being a member of a disfunctional family.

Simpson has written several interesting books about the Carolinas, my favorite being "Into the Sound Country".

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
everything ernest hemingway ever wrote.....his words float like no other author......dylans Tarantula is a pretty good read too
I do not agree on Hemingway.
His books are good for drinking games. Just drink when his character drinks. Doubt most people could make it through a chapter. 😄
ramblings of a well spoken drunk.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Lot of good stuff already posted..... I read all the C.J Box stuff and my all time favorite is western written Louis L'Amour one of my favorites of his is "Last of a Breed" a more modern day story pits a shot down American Indian US military guy against a Russian Indian tracker. Pretty good unfortunately Louis died before he could write the planned sequels to this book.

Randy

Ten Pointer
Men to match our Mountains

It’s by Jay Lawson who retired as the chief game warden in Wyoming. It tells the life histories of several men and women associated with the outdoors in Wyoming during the late 1800s and early 1900s that he either personally knew or heard about during his career. There were some real (and extremely tough) characters back then.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
lots of great recommendations in here so far,,,, a couple not mentioned,,, (and I am semi-kidding, most won't want these)

"How to get out of the Rat Race and live on $10 a month" by George Herter,,, you can't imagine the thoughts that boiled in my 12 year old mind when I first read this book - that was my goal (back then),,, didn't make it past life in my early 20s but such is the vagaries of the real world

A1kxgCa7gAL.jpg

another that will make you go "hmmmm" is another by Tim Ferriss - "Tools of Titans",,,,

and finally, if you've never read them,,, I highly recommend "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey"
"

Haleh

Spike

Wild Sports: Rambling and Hunting Trips Through the United States of North America by Frdrich Gerstacker. One of my favorites. 1651495486814.png

Reactions: CRC

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything by Carl Hiaasen. Humorous, fictional stuff, often based on the culture clashes between "old" Florida (crackers) and new (Yankee imports). Bad Monkey, Skinny Dip, Paradise Screwed are a few I've enjoyed.

C120

Six Pointer
The Education of Little Tree and Watch for Me on the Mountain both Forrest Carter books
Empire of the Summer Moon - SC Gwynne
The Lance and the Shield - Robt Utley
Bust Hell Wide Open The Life of Nathan Bedford Forrest - Samuel Mircham

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Non Fiction
Win - Win Ecology (Michael L. Rosenzweig)
The Perfectionist - (Simon WInchester)
PT Barnum Full Collection - (PT Barnum)
Zane Grey on Fishing - (Zane Grey) This is a must read.

Fiction
Anything Charles Frazier (He's a Carolina boy)
13 Moons (Chrales Frazier) just finished it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pineapple Grenade (Tim Dorsey) He's a humor novelist from FL who writes about a vigilante who traumatizes the local criminals. It's very entertaining but don't expect anything other than a fun quick read.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Do you have any interest in early sports car/road racing in the US?
If you have any suggestions, I’d love to hear them. Anything in the small bore or things like H-mod? Everybody focuses on big tickets like the T70 or GT40, but there were sooooo many great drivers in the smaller classes whose stories were never told.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Last three I read huh?

Guess that would be The Screwtape Letters, 98.6 degrees : The art of keeping your ass alive, and dearly devoted Dexter. That is excluding the perpetual read, the Bible.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
If you have any suggestions, I’d love to hear them. Anything in the small bore or things like H-mod? Everybody focuses on big tickets like the T70 or GT40, but there were sooooo many great drivers in the smaller classes whose stories were never told.
I was referring to the writings of Bert "BS" Levy. He has a series of book which began with The Last Open Road. They are historically based but fictional, sorta, in content. They are the story of a young guy, Buddy Palumbo, as he goes from gas station attendant to race car driver. It begins in the early 50s on many of the now defunct road courses in America and goes on into the modern era. I think it is about 5 or 6 books and Bert is working on the "last" one now. You can find more informatin here:

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I was referring to the writings of Bert "BS" Levy. He has a series of book which began with The Last Open Road. They are historically based but fictional, sorta, in content. They are the story of a young guy, Buddy Palumbo, as he goes from gas station attendant to race car driver. It begins in the early 50s on many of the now defunct road courses in America and goes on into the modern era. I think it is about 5 or 6 books and Bert is working on the "last" one now. You can find more informatin here:
Thank you! That’ll give me something new to look at

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe read something useful? 🤣

Applied Ballistics of Long Range Shooting 3rd Edition by Brian Litz.

It's nerdy, math geek kinda stuff, but it is very interesting.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
lots of great recommendations in here so far,,,, a couple not mentioned,,, (and I am semi-kidding, most won't want these)

"How to get out of the Rat Race and live on $10 a month" by George Herter,,, you can't imagine the thoughts that boiled in my 12 year old mind when I first read this book - that was my goal (back then),,, didn't make it past life in my early 20s but such is the vagaries of the real world

View attachment 90663

another that will make you go "hmmmm" is another by Tim Ferriss - "Tools of Titans",,,,

and finally, if you've never read them,,, I highly recommend "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey"
"
Never read his books but I used to get a kick out of his opinions of certain outdoor items and guns in his catalogs, my favorite being his opinion of the M-16 which he had named the "Pentagon Pansy". Needless to say he had little positive to say about it.

Last edited:

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I read a lot. 2-3 books a week on average.

I’ve exhausted my personal library. I have a kindle to download things or I can go to the local library and check out a “real” book.

I’ll read just about anything besides those stupid romance novels. Prefer sci-fi, mystery/thriller, outdoors and historical non-fiction (war, bios, religion etc)

So hit me up. Tell me the last 3 books you read.

Mine are
Portrait of the Artist as a young man
The lost gospel of Judas iscariot
My side of the mountain (throwback to my childhood)

just started Why Nations Fail. First few chapters are good.

The Life and Times of America’s Banana King
Every Good Endeavor

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
Dope Sick: about the Oxycontin epidemic and the Shackler family who owns Perdue Pharma (non-fiction)
One Second After: about how an EMP effects the town of Black Mtn, NC (ficton)
anything by Vince Flynn....

richard corn

Ten Pointer
Dope Sick: about the Oxycontin epidemic and the Shackler family who owns Perdue Pharma (non-fiction)
One Second After: about how an EMP effects the town of Black Mtn, NC (ficton)
anything by Vince Flynn....
Hey Jake.. I'm a reader of Vince Flynn too. Unfortunate he died so young. Fellow ( I think first name Kyle ) picked up torch and tried to carry on. Mitch Rapp getting older and the novels aren't quite the same.

billyearl

Six Pointer
Contributor
I read a lot. 2-3 books a week on average.

I’ve exhausted my personal library. I have a kindle to download things or I can go to the local library and check out a “real” book.

I’ll read just about anything besides those stupid romance novels. Prefer sci-fi, mystery/thriller, outdoors and historical non-fiction (war, bios, religion etc)

So hit me up. Tell me the last 3 books you read.

Mine are
Portrait of the Artist as a young man
The lost gospel of Judas iscariot
My side of the mountain (throwback to my childhood)
Books by WEB Griffin and his son William E Butterworth, IV will keep you reading happily for a good while ...

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
One mans wilderness by Sam Keith
Education of a wandering man by Louis
L' Amour
Into the wild by Jon Krakaur
Any book about north American game by
Theodore Roosevelt

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
MA in History here. I've enjoyed lately:

A Kingdom Strange: The Brief and Tragic History of the Lost Colony of Roanoke by James Horn. Well wrote and an easy read.

The trilogy of books on Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. Morris does a good job for pacing and getting in depth on TR.

There's a few others on TR that I've read lately that I enjoyed, but Morris is my favorite of the bunch.

Daughters of the Declaration: How Women Social Entrepreneurs Built the American Dream by Claire Gaudiani. A good book on the founding mothers and their contributions to Americanism in the early days. Gaudiani's writing is ok. She's definitely a historian, but still fairly an easy read over all.

None history and a comical read is Tim Allen's biography, Don't Stand to Close to a Naked Man. If you like Allen's humor, you'll enjoy it. If not, probably not one you'll enjoy.

Lastly, Catch of the Day by Jimmy Houston. Houston is my favorite angler and I enjoy reading his Catch of the day as a daily devotional. He has a YouTube channel where he reads from it daily and has a quick devotional message.