Giardia! for people

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
nccatfisher's thread in the Dog Hunting forum reminded me. People can catch this stuff too and it is just as nasty. I have a friend in Vermont who is an avid duck hunter. He fell in while hunting a beaver swamp and ended up in the hospital with giardia after getting a few gulps of swamp water before he got out.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
nccatfisher's thread in the Dog Hunting forum reminded me. People can catch this stuff too and it is just as nasty. I have a friend in Vermont who is an avid duck hunter. He fell in while hunting a beaver swamp and ended up in the hospital with giardia after getting a few gulps of swamp water before he got out.
If you are messing with dogs with it you would do well to wear PPE also. I am not a germophobe, in fact about as far from it as you get. But when stuff is that nasty and humans can contract it I do tend to be wary of it.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I got it from contaminated water. Thought I just had a stomach bug. After several days of not being able to keep anything down, or in ( 💩) , I went to the doctor and ended up getting sent to the ER. It’s brutal.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I got it from contaminated water. Thought I just had a stomach bug. After several days of not being able to keep anything down, or in ( 💩) , I went to the doctor and ended up getting sent to the ER. It’s brutal.
If you get it again come on down, I am getting pretty good at it. I'll dose ur azz up and have you crapping dog turds in no time!🤣

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I had a hunting buddy just after high school that got to hot in the swamp and drank from a ditch . He died a week later. We had never heard of it and drank that water a lot. Hard lesson learned

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a hunting buddy just after high school that got to hot in the swamp and drank from a ditch . He died a week later. We had never heard of it and drank that water a lot. Hard lesson learned
I had a co-worker that was running fence in a swamp and cut his leg with a post hole digger. He died a week later as well of sepsis.
There's some bad stuff out there.
I worked in infectious disease in Florida, the flesh eating bacteria that folks were getting from eating raw oysters was amazingly scary to watch work, folks would be getting limbs removed as fast as the surgeons could remove them, sometimes multiple surgeries a day, to try and save their lives. Scary stuff.

nettereo16

Six Pointer
I've had giardia, twice. I used to do a lot of traveling/backpacking. I was careful about my water but evidently slipped up.

First time put me in the hospital. They thought my appendix burst.
I knew what it was the second time so went to urgent care and told them I needed the appropriate antibiotics. Clears up fast but both times were gnarly. You can't hold anything down.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
One of my bird dogs will catch this at least once a year. We live in the middle of Goldsboro and walk them in Stoney Creek Park several times daily. and the only exposure I can put my finger on is mud puddles they like to drink out of while we walk them.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I’m at work fighting giardia for the folks of Forsyth county. It’s a thankless job. All that water I send out… the least they can do is buy a beer here and there.
:what:
When I travel out of the country, I either have to open the water bottle myself or see it opened. Otherwise, just bring me a beer. I brush my teeth and rinse with beer when necessary.

Jim

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I worked in infectious disease in Florida, the flesh eating bacteria that folks were getting from eating raw oysters was amazingly scary to watch work, folks would be getting limbs removed as fast as the surgeons could remove them, sometimes multiple surgeries a day, to try and save their lives. Scary stuff.
Not just from eating oysters. Vibrio is in the water here as well and a lot of people get it in a cut or scratch. :donk:donk:donk:donk is no joke and seems like a lot more people are getting it every year.

I get poked, cuts and scratches working on the water most days. To say I’m paranoid about it would be a understatement.

old school

Six Pointer
Had it twice, over 15 years apart. Stool samples taken to the E.R. confirmed both cases. High powered anti-biotic called Flagyl (Metronidazole) is your new best friend!