Giant Golden Palomino Trout

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Why do the trout have their tails cut straight?
Typically a sign of a hatchery fish where their tales are subject to wearing on the concrete races they are raised in. You'll see some wear on wild fish after spawn, but that example looks more hatchery fish to me.

TJG358

Button Buck
Typically a sign of a hatchery fish where their tales are subject to wearing on the concrete races they are raised in. You'll see some wear on wild fish after spawn, but that example looks more hatchery fish to me.
I came from Colorado ( lived there 60 yrs) I never saw them with tails cut off even after spawn. These fish must be in hatchery a long time to have that effect.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I came from Colorado ( lived there 60 yrs) I never saw them with tails cut off even after spawn. These fish must be in hatchery a long time to have that effect.
yes, one that size is a brood fish from the hatchery,,,lived it's whole life there till dumped in a pool at a bridge (guess on my part of location)

meat like mush

but the golden hybrids are pretty

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I see a couple a year up there on canoe fishing trips, easy to spot from a distance, but hard to catch. Congrats!

Found 3 giants already this year surprisingly. First few years here I found 0. Last year I finally landed a few. Yesterday I was finishing a work call by the creek and managed this one. 24” on a size 18 wire hook.View attachment 64079View attachment 64080View attachment 64081
Excellent fish. However, not a palamino trout. What you have there is a West Virginia Golden Rainbow Trout. I have fished for and caught many of these in my home state. They are excellent to eat, much better than other trout with a more tender and sweater meet. Enjoy!

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Yeah it’s a WV Petri dish fish. There’s always a debate on the best name for it so I play the middle road here and use both LOL.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Excellent fish. However, not a palamino trout. What you have there is a West Virginia Golden Rainbow Trout. I have fished for and caught many of these in my home state. They are excellent to eat, much better than other trout with a more tender and sweater meet. Enjoy!

Pennsylvania has always referred to them as palomino trout or palomino rainbows.

They are just a color morph of rainbow trout.