"Ghost" police cars

JoeR

Eight Pointer
The law has an exemption for law enforcement window tint. Somehow I doubt the latter.
I picked up a 2014 Caprice on govdeals from an NC police department last summer. It was tinted pretty dark and I was sure I'd be changing it. I ran it to a shop around the corner from me before I brought it in for Inspection and it tested only 1% over the mark. As I understand it that should put me within the margin of error on it. So I can attest to at least one patrol car ran legal tint.
Joe

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Join a Police force, work your way up - one day you might be authorized to drive one of them cars home so you’re immediately available to deal with things
No thanks. I got my old badge in there in the drawer where it belongs. Not interested anymore. Plus, with 2 titanium hips I'd never pass a physical again.
You completely missed the point but that's the way to spin it back on me.

What some of ya'll are talking about may work well for small towns and counties with low populations. Around where I live, it's total BS. Deputies and normal patrol cops go to pre shift briefings at the station. No "quicker response time". Troopers may not do that. I get that part of it.

But. When you get on the highway behind a cop car from a neighboring county and they set sail at 80+ in a 65 zone no lights on, out of their jurisdiction, on multiple occasions... it gets old. Above the law ? I guess. I say it's just abuse. No need for it.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
No thanks. I got my old badge in there in the drawer where it belongs. Not interested anymore. Plus, with 2 titanium hips I'd never pass a physical again.
You completely missed the point but that's the way to spin it back on me.

What some of ya'll are talking about may work well for small towns and counties with low populations. Around where I live, it's total BS. Deputies and normal patrol cops go to pre shift briefings at the station. No "quicker response time". Troopers may not do that. I get that part of it.

But. When you get on the highway behind a cop car from a neighboring county and they set sail at 80+ in a 65 zone no lights on, out of their jurisdiction, on multiple occasions... it gets old. Above the law ? I guess. I say it's just abuse. No need for it.

Not spinning just trying to figure out what your issue is with it
From the way you write it’s all about the tax money being spent for those guys to drive cars home

I look at it it’s just a benefit of the job that don’t pay as much as lot easier jobs

Kind of like some of the side benefits I enjoyed when I was serving in the military - we didn’t make big paychecks but we had some other benefits that make it worthwhile - that’s why people do those kind of jobs - there’s things that make it worthwhile - but you should know that since you have a badge in a drawer

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Hey. What private employers do with their money, is their business.
Tax money is a totally different story.
I don't see no free hot rod in my driveway. With tinted out windows and a custom paint job.
I don't think that kool-aid :poop: is that good !
Some folks bitch about anything it seems. Take home assigned cars have year over year cost taxpayers less in several studies, not to mention it’s one of the benefits of their employment, just like pto or insurance.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Being used as a civilian car is one of the issues. Dropping kids off at school, daycare, going to sporting events, grocery shopping. There was an issue around here where the wife of an officer was driving his car to run errands. He did get in hot water for that. Just abuse.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Some folks bitch about anything it seems. Take home assigned cars have year over year cost taxpayers less in several studies, not to mention it’s one of the benefits of their employment, just like pto or insurance.
Yeah. I agree.
And you do more than most.
So there.

A hit dog hollers. Don't it ?

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah. I agree.
And you do more than most.
So there.

A hit dog hollers. Don't it ?
Nope, just call the BS when I see it. You’ve provided plenty of it. I’m curious, were you a “special deputy” or some such with that old badge? Seems you’re clearly out of touch with those doing the job today and obviously have some issues with the profession as a whole.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Nope, just call the BS when I see it. You’ve provided plenty of it. I’m curious, were you a “special deputy” or some such with that old badge? Seems you’re clearly out of touch with those doing the job today and obviously have some issues with the profession as a whole.
No. Are you a "special deputy"?

I genuinely appreciate the job most officers do. I don't like the one's that abuse their power.

The issue I have is not with the officers themselves about the cars. It's the policy and policy makers. That's where some of ya'll are going all knee-jerk on it. I fail to see the fiscal responsibility of some officers driving back and forth to work through two counties in a patrol car. I'm just voicing my opinion about it. And getting kind'a bashed for it.
I'm just saying gas goes up weekly around here. My taxes go up every year. Don't see why taxpayers should foot the gas bill for the cars.
My opinion ain't gonna change anything. The general public can't balance their own household budget, let alone look at other problems.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns

I genuinely appreciate the job most officers do. I don't like the one's that abuse their power.

The issue I have is not with the officers themselves about the cars. It's the policy and policy makers. That's where some of ya'll are going all knee-jerk on it. I fail to see the fiscal responsibility of some officers driving back and forth to work through two counties in a patrol car. I'm just voicing my opinion about it. And getting kind'a bashed for it.
I'm just saying gas goes up weekly around here. My taxes go up every year. Don't see why taxpayers should foot the gas bill for the cars.
My opinion ain't gonna change anything. The general public can't balance their own household budget, let alone look at other problems.
Your appreciation is shining through, clearly.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

You are painting with a broad brush and not expressing yourself well in your initial posts so the bashing is kind'a deserved. Not all officers drive two counties home. Instead of a blanket opposition to taking a car home, how about limiting it to "x" miles from base if you're concerned about taxpayer money.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
One of the biggest things I see is this : police depts. allow officers to drive their squad cars home to be "visible" and they say this helps thwart crime. Slows speeders down, etc...
If the cars are "ghosted" and blend in more or, are unmarked how can they justify allowing officers to drive service vehicles home ? They have shot their justification in the foot. Tax payers afterall, pay the fuel bill.
It's just effing idiotic to me. Bunches of cops wanna look cool in a "hot rod". Others wanna look like Marines wearing the BDU's with bloused boots. And now the fire dept wanna look like the cops.... :rolleyes: 🤯🤯🤯
Damnation ! Go be what you wanna be and quit pretending !
Who cares? Lots of jobs allow you varying degrees of use of the company vehicle.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Years ago in South Carolina I passed a cop, I assume Highway patrol in the median. It was an all black car, the only markings were “the heat” in silver letters on the rear fender.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer

Most agencies have policies that limit how far an officer can live outside jurisdiction to be able to drive a car home. Also people tend to take better care of a vehicle when it’s permanently assigned to them so it minimizes maintenance cost.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Then how do ya;ll explain a CLT City cop car that stays parked for days across the street from me?? Well hidden behind the house..... I guess they don't do mileage reports anymore?? I'm off I-85 at exit 60, NOT a short drive from downtown CLT......

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Then how do ya;ll explain a CLT City cop car that stays parked for days across the street from me?? Well hidden behind the house..... I guess they don't do mileage reports anymore?? I'm off I-85 at exit 60, NOT a short drive from downtown CLT......
CMPD covers a lot more than just “downtown CLT”. Guess what that M stands for 😂 and if you’re talking about Dale Earnhardt Blvd area that’s about 28 miles from downtown anyhow.

Unless something has changed, CMPD only has assigned take home cars for special teams members, like SRT, so they can respond to emergency situations as they are on call.

Last edited:

bte0816

Eight Pointer
My town got one a couple of years ago, blacked out and the taillights were non reflective. The officer lived and parked on the side of the road on one of the main streets. At night nothing on the car reflected from the back while parked. You can imagine how that turned out.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I was hoping to see more pictures of the ghost cars or the unusual unmarked vehicles

well,,, I sure ain't stopping and taking a picture of a police car,,, marked, unmarked, or "ghost" marked,,,, the Officer MAY get the wrong idea that I was casing him,,,,,