getting short

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
it's getting down to the wire - went out listening this AM,,,heard 6 different gobblers on the roost, and three of them after they came down,,,,should be a good last couple of days - good luck!!

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks again for going out this morning John. I hated to leave that bird in Harnett this morning, he was gobbling good too. I watched him flydown with 3 hens..... Working sucks during Turkey season.

Last edited:

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I left work early got rained on.

It cleared up and stayed at it, two came into decoys and I chocked, clean miss,

so pissed.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Trying to get someone their first bird tomorrow. We will see if they want to talk after this rain tonight.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Thanks again for going out this morning John. I hated to leave that bird in Harnett this morning, he was gobbling good too. I watched him flydown with 3 hens..... Working sucks during Turkey season.

oh, believe me, not an imposition at all - I always enjoy the morning woods

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good luck to those out there these last days. It can still happen- a friend of mine shot a very mature bird yesterday afternoon, had 1 1/4 spurs.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Heard 3 this morning. One was accessible. Got to within 80 yards of him on the limb. 2 hens came in answering every gobble with a 3 note yelp that sounded awful. He dropped off to them and left. I'm not 100% convinced they weren't 2 jakes.

Hunting with a first timer. I didn't notice but he was holding his gun up while this bird was still on the limb. I think he got a good workout.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
for those of us still playing, it's time to man up. (apologies to any lady hunters)

Anybody can sleep tomorrow or catch a fish. :)

and unless you are traveling you gotta wait awhile before we get to do this again.

So get out there and find you some like woodmoose and fill the forum with those last day hero stories.

Good Luck.

JFH3006

Ten Pointer
Heard two gobbling on roost.
Called to them but no interest (call shy. That's my story and I am sticking to it)
Did see a hen with 3 very small poults today

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: jug

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I heard 3 this morning down at the club thanks to woodmoose.
I could not get but 1 bird to gobble on the ground. He went away gobbling with his hen. I had to leave at 10 am and check on a job in Aberdeen and then go to Asheboro to pick up a truck.
Guess I will try that bird that I had to leave yesterday morning here in Harnett before working on a irrigation system for a customer.
I am gonna try and get on him tight like white on rice.?

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Going to help guide a feller from work tomorrow. Thanks on the info that birds are still gobbling.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I have a consistent visitor most days between 8:30-9:30. Think my daughter and I may be in this spot tomorrow if we aren't on one that is gobbling.

XPbBsqY.jpg

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well if hearing gobbling helps someone stay out there, this week has been by far the best gobbling i have heard all year. of course 98% of that has been one bird who will gobble at any sound you make. :)

But other birds are gobbling on the ground after flydown. Much more so than early season for me.
I would have killed another gobbling walk on yesterday but the one that gobbles constantly flew down and whipped him as he got in sight. I was calling to the walk on whenever he gobbled and he almost got there.

The gobbling the victor put on after the fight when i did some aggreesive purring was other wordly in it's intensity.

Bottomline yeah they are still gobbling, now go getem.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Haven't been the past couple of days, seems fishing has gotten in the way. Planning on hitting it Saturday morning wide open. Going to a spot where one was gobbling like crazy on Tuesday morning.
He just would not leave his hens.

We tried to go around and head them off at the pass. Long story short, we got busted and they took off across an open field in record time.

SHORT.. just a wake up now.

Side note.. Wednesday we did catch 25 Spanish, 5 bonito, 5 black Sea bass, 5 blues. . These numbers are what we kept, threw a lot back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
1163791b516dedbb9cad26a5caf8b31a.jpg

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like a very long spur. I found 3 in a field on the way back to my truck this morning, no gobbles but just glad there's something to hunt tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
well if hearing gobbling helps someone stay out there, this week has been by far the best gobbling i have heard all year. of course 98% of that has been one bird who will gobble at any sound you make. :)

But other birds are gobbling on the ground after flydown. Much more so than early season for me.
I would have killed another gobbling walk on yesterday but the one that gobbles constantly flew down and whipped him as he got in sight. I was calling to the walk on whenever he gobbled and he almost got there.

The gobbling the victor put on after the fight when i did some aggreesive purring was other wordly in it's intensity.

Bottomline yeah they are still gobbling, now go getem.
Yes,called in one yesterday that gobbled good,and finally heard one today at the housr

ditchbank

Banned
Headed to Halifax for one more go at it!! I get off at 4am and will get there about 5:45 so I’ll be cutting it close. Carrying a buddy that’s never killed a Tom. Gonna make a day of it but boy I will be dozing off at every set. Least I’ll get an 1hr 20min nap on the way there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Haven't been the past couple of days, seems fishing has gotten in the way. Planning on hitting it Saturday morning wide open. Going to a spot where one was gobbling like crazy on Tuesday morning.
He just would not leave his hens.

We tried to go around and head them off at the pass. Long story short, we got busted and they took off across an open field in record time.

SHORT.. just a wake up now.

Side note.. Wednesday we did catch 25 Spanish, 5 bonito, 5 black Sea bass, 5 blues. . These numbers are what we kept, threw a lot back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
1163791b516dedbb9cad26a5caf8b31a.jpg

Oh man, wish I knew you were going! I’d have paid you to save those bonito bellies for me!