getting excitable,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
SC bow season near Marion opens 15 August,,,,
New Moon is 18 August,,,,,
got a few velvet bucks I'm eyeballing,,and a 400 lb boar who's only hunt time showing was on the last new moon,,,,(may have to night hunt him),,,

heat be danged,,,,skeeters be danged (what thermacell is for),,,,I am in a stand that week,,,,,,,

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Ya'll enjoy !
I've still not graduated away from having to use a walker just to get to the bathroom.
I'm thinking this season may be shot altogether.

I do look very forward to the stories and the pics from everyone !

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
by 1 Oct I will likely have over 20 days in the field, between deer in SC, birds in Montana, and teal in Louisiana,,,,just saying,,,,all in what floats your cork,,,
By Oct 1 I will most likely start getting the itch bad to turn the dogs loose. Oct 17 I will be right there in the middle of it, I figure by late morning I will be hot as hell and probably have helped someone try to save at least one overheated dog and I pray we were successful. That evening I will be pissed and wondering why in the hell I went through that crap as hot as it was.

By Oct 1 I will most likely start getting the itch bad to turn the dogs loose. Oct 17 I will be right there in the middle of it, I figure by late morning I will be hot as hell and probably have helped someone try to save at least one overheated dog and I pray we were successful. That evening I will be pissed and wondering why in the hell I went through that crap as hot as it was.

Then the next chance you get to go you will do it all over again. That’s why we love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Then the next chance you get to go you will do it all over again. That’s why we love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, I swore last year when we almost lost dogs 3 weeks into the season no more, but here I am getting ready.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
and THATs a fact
I let one of my up and coming deer dog prospects out this evening when I was cleaning kennels and amid the roar of the other I hear him barking. I got away from them enough to hear him well enough to tell he was treed. I waked to him and he was giving a squirrel a fit. I walked to him and patted him on the head and went back and washed down the kennels and fed them and he was still at it. Wet to the shoulders from slobbering when I went to get him. I think he was trying to tell me he didn't want to be a deer dog. Coons will be wearing out a corn field below the house soon, it was planted late. His future depends on what he shows me there.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
It’ll be another month mebbe before I even look for my bow:sleep: And prolly be the 3rd week of October before I get serious(y)

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I will be ready to track wounded deer whenever the call comes in, rain or shine, hot or cold.

As for hunting I like getting the family out early in the year when temps are most comfortable for them, in the 70's, but I will be out there as soon as it opens.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ya'll enjoy !
I've still not graduated away from having to use a walker just to get to the bathroom.
I'm thinking this season may be shot altogether.

I do look very forward to the stories and the pics from everyone !
We used to sponsor the wounded warrior project hunts on my old lease...believe me, if there's a will, there's a way. Those guys would ride in a lawn trailer pulled by a 4 wheeler in their wheelchairs to either have a tent set up around them on the trailer or hunt from a blind if their wheelchair could make it to it. Those guys wanted to hunt and were going to get there come hell or high water.
The fella that had the lease initially had several strokes and built a pvc blind around his 4-wheeler so he could just park, roll down the camo and be hunting. He killed several deer before the strokes finally caught up with him and he started having severe seizures.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Never stop. In 2004 I was at the farm sitting in tractor shed with a TC contender hand cannon just 13 days after getting home from hospital for triple bypass heart surgery still had chest clamped shut. 2006 had a cast on leg from a broken leg. Shot a doe with bow out from tower stand. Tied doe to 4 wheeler and drugged it to trailer Last year hunted until late November with cast on right foot wrapped the cast with trash bag to keep dry. Was able to back truck up to 2 deer to load with winch NEVER STOP

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Not me anymore! I used to get pumped and hunt every chance I had from opener to last day and then onto post season scouting. Got frustrated with bucks transitioning from daylight movement right before bow opener. Just can’t stand the heat nowadays.

I’ve found much better hunts if I wait til mid-late October. Haven’t educated every deer in the county and cooler weather gets me fired up to be there.

Probably will take daughter for the youth day in September. I’d be tickled if I can get her one early!