Getting Closer Every Day

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Saw a good amount of birds yesterday evening. Mainly teal. Should get a good push with this first mullet blow we have coming in tomorrow. Lows in the 60 tomorrow night may push some teal away. I already started pumping water in one of my places to cash in on the early season. Should be holding some good numbers by the end of the month.

Tomorrow starts the Southern tradition of opening day dove hunt. Full hogs on the grill and lots of shooting in the sunflowers. Good times with friends and family.

Last edited:

TomstoSwans486

Four Pointer
Yep and they need to lock up before February. 4 years ago was the last decent duck season I can remember and every year since then has been horrific. I remember every year prior to that November was always great regardless of weather with the calendar migratory. That has not been the case over the last 3 years. The weather has been terrible, habitat loss continues to be an issue, more and more hunting pressure. Never thought I would see the days of a 2 mallard limit and only 1 bill. That’s not worth Putting the work in for for me. It’ll be another dead season most likely. Unfortunately I think this type of thing is permanent this time and not just a bad stretch. I’ve seen bad stretches in seasons before but still had great hunts those seasons and it was just a grind. These seasons are different. There is NOTHING. I saw a grand total of 3 migrating ducks last November and spent 3 days per week on the water fishing.

I was just thinking about 2016 season too - was a great one. Shot plenty of puddle ducks and bluebills got boring there were so many. Last season I didn't even see one bluebill. If we keep harvesting over 100,000 of the only consistent bird, wood ducks, each season it wouldn't surprise me to see them drop to 2/day