Getting bad in the country.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We've got two rather large alarms of the Pyrenees brand. Their sensitivity changes throughout the day. Sometimes I swear they'll bark at a squirrel fart.

The two small ankle snatchers, in the house, usually follow suit.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I still have the occasional vehicle come down my driveway and I can't, for the life of me, understand why. I have a sign at the head of the driveway, which butts up to the back of a cemetery, that says "No Sightseeing". There are posted signs beside the driveway, which is graveled and ,most of the time, neatly mowed. The driveway is .3 miles long with no outlet and the only public road is on the other side of the large cemetery. People still drive all the way back to the house, turn around, and drive off. Most of them don't make it to the cemetey before I stop them and find out who they are.

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
I still have the occasional vehicle come down my driveway and I can't, for the life of me, understand why. I have a sign at the head of the driveway, which butts up to the back of a cemetery, that says "No Sightseeing". There are posted signs beside the driveway, which is graveled and ,most of the time, neatly mowed. The driveway is .3 miles long with no outlet and the only public road is on the other side of the large cemetery. People still drive all the way back to the house, turn around, and drive off. Most of them don't make it to the cemetey before I stop them and find out who they are.
I'll never understand why people do that.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
I usually try to stay calm with these types of posts, but about 10 minutes ago my neighbor called. At 6:30 am yesterday a woman was pounding on their back door. She was claiming she needed help. Man was about 50 yds to her south. Was an ambush type setup to get her to open the door. We live in Weddington and my back door is 50 yds away to the East . They could have just as easily knocked on my door. I do have a fence and two large dogs, but I was robbed 3.5 years ago.
I am almost always out at that time with dogs, but yesterday they had me up around 5am and I watched tv with the wife.
My neighbors husband has Parkinson’s and a daughter home from college. They are fairly liberal but she told my wife she now wants a gun.
I didn’t want to tell her it’s too late, but I did let her know to call 911 and us at any time of day.
My boys are 14 and 16 and know their way around any gun in the house and have access to a 20 gauge, but still makes me uneasy to think about how I would have handled.
My wife is firmly in the camp of feeling comfortable with guns, but man people are going to find out quick just who is looking out for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Been seeing strange vehicles here too. We are in a small neighbor hood on a cul-de-sac. Only 5 houses on a 300 yard dead end off a main road.Not country by a long shot but not in town either. Shotgun is at ready and Roobie, the pit bull, is in the house at night. We know her people bark too, when she is in the fenced yard. Hope it don't, but it would not take much for all Hell to break loose.

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
I usually try to stay calm with these types of posts, but about 10 minutes ago my neighbor called. At 6:30 am yesterday a woman was pounding on their back door. She was claiming she needed help. Man was about 50 yds to her south. Was an ambush type setup to get her to open the door. We live in Weddington and my back door is 50 yds away to the East . They could have just as easily knocked on my door. I do have a fence and two large dogs, but I was robbed 3.5 years ago.
I am almost always out at that time with dogs, but yesterday they had me up around 5am and I watched tv with the wife.
My neighbors husband has Parkinson’s and a daughter home from college. They are fairly liberal but she told my wife she now wants a gun.
I didn’t want to tell her it’s too late, but I did let her know to call 911 and us at any time of day.
My boys are 14 and 16 and know their way around any gun in the house and have access to a 20 gauge, but still makes me uneasy to think about how I would have handled.
My wife is firmly in the camp of feeling comfortable with guns, but man people are going to find out quick just who is looking out for them.

When things get bad, we still have to look out for our neighbors. Funny how one encounter can change someone's mind about guns.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
We have increased the security level here at the homestead. Range card out to 500 yards with all significant landmarks ranged. I've had a few vehicles down our driveway too. I now take a phone pic of their license plate. They are already trespassing since we have good signage. When they ask me what I am doing I tell them it is for both their and my protection in the event something happens. What is nice is that the phone pic has a time stamp and a GPS location. I tell them that in the event something happens I will turn all of the info over to law enforcement, again, for their own protection. :rolleyes:

And I'm at Condition Orange the whole time and they haven't a clue. I've never seen any of them return. :)

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I just took a stroll (in the dark of course) up to the mailbox with the dogs (1/2 mile walk, one way) and I have to say it was a bit creepy. No traffic out on the highway, no noise from the local town a few miles away. Everything deathly quiet and still.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
This works! I set camera in the edge of a swamp "trail" that I kept finding trespasser boot tracks on. Camera was taken. I set another in the same place but added a legal set submerged 330 at the base of the camera. Came back to find the trap sprung, camera in place and great pictures of the thief. When I confronted him (with a deputy sheriff in tow), he was wearing a "boot" on his left leg ;). I didn't even press charges.
This is great!

buckman84

Eight Pointer

Where abouts in Weddington are you located?

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
My man!!!! Just need a MK-19 to cover dead space!!! I don’t know why, but this made me think of you with a M4/203, old lady behind a crew serve and the shitlins dropping 60’s down the tube on some crackheads trying to loot you... It’s really a feel good story 😁

Now that would make a great movie! (y)