Getting bad in the country.

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
I live way out in the country at the end of a dead end road. The only car that ever comes to the end of the road is mine and the mailman. I've had six cars in two days ride down the road and turn around in my drive. Most haven't concerned me but two in the last few days have. They have set in the driveway to long looking around. One car last night came in with the lights out. I just noticed a red glow in my driveway from the brake lights. With shotgun in hand I went out the back door and around house as they backed out with lights still out. Now I may be paranoid, but people are probably out of money and getting desperate. Be careful out there folks.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I live way out in the country at the end of a dead end road. The only car that ever comes to the end of the road is mine and the mailman. I've had six cars in two days ride down the road and turn around in my drive. Most haven't concerned me but two in the last few days have. They have set in the driveway to long looking around. One car last night came in with the lights out. I just noticed a red glow in my driveway from the brake lights. With shotgun in hand I went out the back door and around house as they backed out with lights still out. Now I may be paranoid, but people are probably out of money and getting desperate. Be careful out there folks.

Paranoid? Nope. Prepared? Yes. đź‘Ť

pikepole20

Four Pointer
We have a rental house about one hour from where we live in a rural area. It is currently not occupied, I am going to check it out tomorrow. It is the former family farm.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I also live at the end of a dead end dirt road, and know what your are talking about. Do you have a trail cam you can put on the driveway?

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Neighbor has always had a gate on his driveway but has NEVER used it...until SIP order came from ole'roy.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thieves still thieving... put a trail cam out last Sunday on a strut zone on my private property. Went in yesterday to check it and it’s gone. Whoever took it is not following the SIP guideline.....

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
My 40# male APBT doesn't take too kindly to strangers unless I tell him it's ok. His name is Hobo
Screenshot_20200324-200122.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jug

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
During the depression 80 percent of the population lived in rural America and 20 percent in the cities. People struggled for food in the cities and came to the country to steal.
Now 80 percent of our population live in the cities and 20 percent in the country.
Theft is up. Last thing we need to do is release any more prisoners. They were not put there because of a misdemeanor.
Over 1000 police officers in NY are out sick with Covid 19.

My Dad had my Mom out shooting yesterday. He said he was doing this because he could take care of three people but he would need help if there were more.

I hope law enforcement is monitor Gang Activity. If they get desperate they could do some damage.

Neighbors, Church families, etc need to start getting organized. You may think that I am paranoid but did you think we would be living like this a month ago?

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Always good to be prepared, but my address for my new house doesn’t register on google. Ive been to similar places. There’s a house below mine, on the lake, that sat empty for a while(30 years? One or two visits a year), and they’ve turned it into a VBRO/Air B&B, and that address doesn’t pick up as it should, and a lot of cars turning into places they’re not supposed to.

I’ve done it myself, and if I turn around at someones house after dark, I normally turn night lights off as to not cause alarm and shine into the house, and be on my way.

Good in you for being prepared. I’m just playing devils advocate here.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Put steel trap around the cam so they'll have to step in at least one .

This works! I set camera in the edge of a swamp "trail" that I kept finding trespasser boot tracks on. Camera was taken. I set another in the same place but added a legal set submerged 330 at the base of the camera. Came back to find the trap sprung, camera in place and great pictures of the thief. When I confronted him (with a deputy sheriff in tow), he was wearing a "boot" on his left leg ;). I didn't even press charges.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
A little extra traffic in my neighborhood but mostly looks like families trying to get out and take a drive.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was watching one of my YouTube channels last week...guy from the NC mountains that reviews outdoor gear and records some of his outings. He recommended not leaving your home unattended, at least not for long, during these times. His wife often goes on outings with him, but he said that would not be happening for the duration. I think he gave some good advice.

My neighbor warned me that there are reports of folks coming to doors posing as salesmen of some sort or another, but it is really a scam to get in your house to see what is worth stealing.

We have two driveway alarms. One on the driveway, the other in an open shed. They work pretty well as an early warning.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have two driveway alarms. One on the driveway, the other in an open shed. They work pretty well as an early warning.

These are good wherever you live. Always nice to have a heads up as soon as someone comes on your property rather than when they are already standing at the front door. Let's call it a force multiplier. It only took a couple odd encounters at the front door before I put in some myself.

My wife had an odd encounter with a stranger Friday in the middle of the day. I won't go into the details, but it was very strange activity. It was someone dropping something off for my neighbor, but they (and their young son) just wanted to "look at" something on our property. Turned out to be completely benign, but now's not really the time (or ever) to be driving onto strangers' property just to look at stuff.:confused:

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I live in a neighborhood and it has been (knocking on my head) relatively crime free since I've been here. Every once in a while open cars will be rifled through but that has happened only 2-3 times (that has been reported) in the 15 years I have lived here. My motion lights come on when some one enters my driveway. If I lived alone I would have some sort of outdoor camera or as stated alarm.

Had a girl try and sell me some home repair the other day as I was painting some cabinets in the driveway. I politely told her that If I needed home repair I would do it myself as I was too cheap and like to punish myself, or if I really needed to hire someone, I would know how to contact them.
I always feel people like this are casing the joint out. IDK. Seems like an odd time in the history of the USA to be going door to door trying to sell repairs or anything? The good thing was even though she practiced social distancing, I saw her look at the pistol on my hip several times.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hopefully people’s increased situational awareness due to this “virus” lasts long after it fades.
not so much among this group, but in general, people don’t have any idea of the world around them.
People will continue to do bad things long after this virus. Be prepared to do bad things back.

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
Just ran a couple off walking in a field near my house. She stayed in the car and he was looking around. Claims he was looking for a drone. I told him people around here use those for target practice. He said it was in this area when he lost camera use and it never came back. Maybe those of you with knowledge of drones will understand this but I don't. I may have some used drone parts in the future!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Supposedly, he lives nearby, or was flying it nearby. Those things are supposed to stay in line of sight of the operator I think.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
No doubt I'm on more alert now than usual. I live down long dirt road dead end with multiple West Va family members you gotta pass to get here and they are super nosey wouldn't be good idea come down in here. I have special dislike for them scammers