Get together public bow hunt?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I’m planning on being at roaring creek Thursday evening and parking at same field as last year ( the fat boys parking lot ) and hunting the same hillside. My plan is too hunt Friday-Saturday evening maybe Sunday. Looks like weather is going to be good. Chris I have you a hawk screamer also
Can you explain to me where your parking? I'm kinda familiar with area but not exactly sure where y'all camping

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I'm not to good at trout fishing but I'll bring plenty of seafood.
I don’t think it has to do with your ability to fish. Just seems like you tend to have time to come west and fish when the water temps are really warm. Hopefully it’ll be a cool weekend and the morning and evening fishing will be more active.

I got out of the jury duty for this week, but in one of the worst ways, having a nasty tooth infection that started friday. Apparently I should have gotten my wisdom teeth out long ago. I'm getting them out friday, so I'll be traveling the astral plane this weekend. Hate to miss it. I still want to get up there before ML starts.

Good luck! Weather looks great.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Archery camp on Roaring Creek/ Yellow Mountain Gap Trailhead.
Who's all camping Friday night?
I will be coming up 0-dark early Saturday morning. Would like to link up with you folks before we scatter to the 4 winds.
I have an area im thinking of hunting that morning, from map scouting, but dont want to step on anyones toes.
I would bring coffee and donuts, but nothing will be open.

SnowMaker

Eight Pointer
Archery camp on Roaring Creek/ Yellow Mountain Gap Trailhead.
Who's all camping Friday night?
I will be coming up 0-dark early Saturday morning. Would like to link up with you folks before we scatter to the 4 winds.
I have an area im thinking of hunting that morning, from map scouting, but dont want to step on anyones toes.
I would bring coffee and donuts, but nothing will be open.
Excuses excuses...

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Well it looks like my plans to be up there tomorrow afternoon just got changed. I’m thinking I can make it Friday afternoon or dark thirty Saturday morn. Have to finish up a big order of Sika deer calls and get in the mail before I can leave to hunt.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
This one got cut a little short tonite. Got to see the @TobyScreams family again and got to meet @valetroutfisherman but the meth heads won out.
Roaring Creek never has been a safe place to be and it lived up to its rep tonite.
Me and Turkeyfoot grilled up a dang fine meal and waited for the other to come back to camp...when the sun started setting that place came unglued...and i'll
leave it at that.

SnowMaker

Eight Pointer
It's been kinda stage for me. Like I've wanted to say no Roaring Creek but it seems like they had fun last year. Sounds like it turned into what I was afraid of. As long as everyone got out ok

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
This one got cut a little short tonite. Got to see the @TobyScreams family again and got to meet @valetroutfisherman but the meth heads won out.
Roaring Creek never has been a safe place to be and it lived up to its rep tonite.
Me and Turkeyfoot grilled up a dang fine meal and waited for the other to come back to camp...when the sun started setting that place came unglued...and i'll
leave it at that.
Man that sucks.

I’ve camped there and parked over night several times including 2x this summer and never had any issues. Always a few odd balls around but my vehicle and my stuff have never been messed with.

The group last year didn’t have any issues that I know.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
It really is a shame. Drugs are a bad problem but most people dont understand what meth has done to the mountains...
My wife grew up about 5 min. from Roaring and Hensons Creek. She knows, and went to school with every one of them and she wont go up in there.

She met me at the door at 1am with that look on her face 😀 but at least she didnt say "I told you boy". She's a good woman.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
I got up to Roaring Creek at 5am on Saturday morning. Hunted the morning on up on the west side. Saw tons of trails thru the briars and golden rods some bedding spots too. But no deer. Beautiful.
Walked by this big ole active wasp/ hornet nest. On the egde of the field, close to camp, about 3ft off the ground. Wanted to throw something at it, but if i would have run, probably would have stumbled and fell, cause my legs were tired. Lol
I came back down to find camp and rolled up on three hunters chilling. Thought they were a group on NCHF guys, nope. Just 3 family members from Linville area, been hunting up there for years. Nice fellas, talked with them for about 30 min.
Looked back from them, across the way and saw @TobyScreams' Gladiator. Headed on over there, and he is rolled up in his hammock, and he had slept in.

Attachments

• 20220917_065439.jpg
    20220917_065439.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220917_065444.jpg
    20220917_065444.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220917_102711.jpg
    20220917_102711.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
That awake for a day and half caught up with me! As usual with these trips all animals are safe and the company (from the forum) was outstanding. Had decent faith in this mornings hunt but wasn’t willing to leave my truck or it’s contents with the drugged out losers. May go back once it gets cold but idk. Only saw one and it was plumb dark. It just stood there and stared. Finally left with its tail high but still didn’t run. Maybe next time.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
After chit chating for a bit and eating me some lunch, @TobyScreams wife and daughter show up then @Ol Copper & @turkeyfoot roll on in for the day. Gets to be about 3:30ish @TobyScreams and I head out for the evening hunt. Toby goes west, i got east. Heres where i ended up. Only about 200yds from the road up the mountain. Lightly used and heavily used game trails. Found this spot. Looks like a bedding area, not sure, had no animal smell, but was only about 20' from the apple tree.
Picked me a spot to sit and wait to see if something would come by. Nope. And i only dozed off 2x. And i only realized it when i started sliding sideways off my leaning tree. 😴
Got back to came b4 dark. After dark it then begins with a party caravan of trucks and and suv come barreling down the road and set up, across the creak from us, about 100yds away.
Great to meet @Ol Copper & @turkeyfoot and Toby's family.

Attachments

• 20220917_182928.jpg
    20220917_182928.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220917_162039.jpg
    20220917_162039.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220917_162004.jpg
    20220917_162004.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 12