German Shorthaired Pointer

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
Anybody know of any NC/SC/TN breeders with any litters coming up?

My setter is getting on in years, and it's time to get a pup started.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
If you are on Facebook there is a group called NC Bird Hunters and there are a few litters of GSP's advertised on there. I think Rusty Guns kennels has a litter on the ground right now also. I could be off on my timing and they all may be gone. I haven't checked in a while.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
If you are on Facebook there is a group called NC Bird Hunters and there are a few litters of GSP's advertised on there. I think Rusty Guns kennels has a litter on the ground right now also. I could be off on my timing and they all may be gone. I haven't checked in a while.
I'd second a recommendation on an Rusty Guns. They do have two litters I think. The one is about ready to go home now so not sure if there are any left. The other was whelped two weeks ago.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
all I did was type in at the top of page "nc gsp" and all these breeders pop up

ALWAYS get references!

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
I'd second a recommendation on an Rusty Guns. They do have two litters I think. The one is about ready to go home now so not sure if there are any left. The other was whelped two weeks ago.

I checked them out. Nice looking pups, but they are $1250. I gotta admit I've got a bit of sticker shock.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
The sticker shock is something that would take me back also. I am not a salesman for him but I know his dogs are tested heavily in the NAVHDA system and I think the Dam of one of the litters just got her VC title at the national invitational. That price is high but he does have quality. Check out that Facebook page I told you about earlier. There was a litter in Hickory on there. Hope this helps and good luck.

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
The sticker shock is something that would take me back also. I am not a salesman for him but I know his dogs are tested heavily in the NAVHDA system and I think the Dam of one of the litters just got her VC title at the national invitational. That price is high but he does have quality. Check out that Facebook page I told you about earlier. There was a litter in Hickory on there. Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks NC Quailhunter!

I finally found the ones posted for Hickory. Not sure how I missed them before. $600 bucks is not bad at all. I've messaged about the dogs and I'm anxiously awaiting their reply.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
One is a VC and has passed high levels of the Kurtzhaar testing (the German Import.). The other is a NAVHDA utility prize 1 dog which is no easy feat.

eajusc

Button Buck
IMO, the price of GSPs has gotten a little out of control recently. I have pointers myself and can get dogs with excellent pedigrees that will trial and hunt for significantly less than what I see advertised as the cost of a GSP puppy. But, different breeds, different prices! I do agree on the sticker shock factor though.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
IMO, the price of GSPs has gotten a little out of control recently. I have pointers myself and can get dogs with excellent pedigrees that will trial and hunt for significantly less than what I see advertised as the cost of a GSP puppy. But, different breeds, different prices! I do agree on the sticker shock factor though.
Bananas cost less than Apples at the grocery store too.

Pointers are an underrated dog for many. I think its supply and demand...

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Short hairs have become the new designer bird dog it seems. Anyone living an outdoor life wants one to go hiking and mountain biking with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Short hairs have become the new designer bird dog it seems. Anyone living an outdoor life wants one to go hiking and mountain biking with.

Having fostered for the GSP rescue...You're correct. They want it to go with the center console boat and Ford F-150. From what I see, poorly bred shorthairs are more likely to have goofy temperaments (spooky, or wound tighter than a 7 day clock) than health problems. As opposed to say, a lab, where I'd want a bunch of health certs. All sorts of dogs that get surrendered to the rescue at 10-15 months. If you don't have the means to exercise them (land, 4 wheeler, horses) you better be willing to walk/run/bike a LOT with the dog...and not just on days you feel like it.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Having fostered for the GSP rescue...You're correct. They want it to go with the center console boat and Ford F-150. From what I see, poorly bred shorthairs are more likely to have goofy temperaments (spooky, or wound tighter than a 7 day clock) than health problems. As opposed to say, a lab, where I'd want a bunch of health certs. All sorts of dogs that get surrendered to the rescue at 10-15 months. If you don't have the means to exercise them (land, 4 wheeler, horses) you better be willing to walk/run/bike a LOT with the dog...and not just on days you feel like it.

Yeah I have Brittanys and everyone loves them and their size and I have to remind them, that I’m up at 5 and letting them run for at least an hour if not 2 before I got to work and then again after work other wise they are holly terrors.