Georgia and Mississippi makes changes

I hunt private land in northeastern Ohio and the bird numbers are way down the last 4-5 years but the last 2 years they are really down. I don't know what is going on but on the land I hunt they have timbered some of the tracts, the best spot for me they totally wiped it out with anything bigger than 4", took all the feed trees and roosting trees, nothing will make the turkey disappear quicker than that!
Yep! Habitat destruction be it logging or burning during nesting. Along with higher bag limits and more hunting pressue all play a role in the current population. In Georgia the wild hawg population is getting worse and worse every year. Hawgs will raid nests as well as coons and fox. I dont know why there is such a short season on bobcat either. So many variables to it but seems like more could be done with the timing of burns and preditor control. I saw 3 bobcats during deer season and couldnt take any of them due to the short cat season.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep! Habitat destruction be it logging or burning during nesting. Along with higher bag limits and more hunting pressue all play a role in the current population. In Georgia the wild hawg population is getting worse and worse every year. Hawgs will raid nests as well as coons and fox. I dont know why there is such a short season on bobcat either. So many variables to it but seems like more could be done with the timing of burns and preditor control. I saw 3 bobcats during deer season and couldnt take any of them due to the short cat season.
Hogs are quickly becoming a PITA in Ga. When I first started hunting Ga 30 years ago, they were mainly in South Ga along the Florida line. Now, they’re thicker than fleas on a dog’s ass on my place in Wilkes county( Northeast Ga) Last year 8 members killed 21 hogs during deer season. Well technically 7 because I didn’t even hunt that place last year. Damn Armadillos are getting more numerous too!

Hogs are quickly becoming a PITA in Ga. When I first started hunting Ga 30 years ago, they were mainly in South Ga along the Florida line. Now, they’re thicker than fleas on a dog’s ass on my place in Wilkes county( Northeast Ga) Last year 8 members killed 21 hogs during deer season. Well technically 7 because I didn’t even hunt that place last year. Damn Armadillos are getting more numerous too!
Yep shot two dillers last year. 30 years ago they werent here now they are everywhere. Same with the Hawgs. They will over run NC and SC soon.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
We better enjoy it while we can here in the Tarheel State.... 15 years ago I'd have never said I'm glad we got into the turkey game later than most of the others. I'm kinda liking it right now....