Generator not making power

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
Started runs great product power for 20 minutes then quit producing power.....still running but has less than 10 volt output any suggestions....I now I won't have power for several days

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
Good luck easy to find a small engine repair shop, nearly impossible to find someone to work on the electrical side!!

timber

Twelve Pointer
I had a bigger pto driven generator did that. Took back cover off generator cleaned it good with sand paper It started back working. It had been sitting awhile was rusty. I have heard people re-magnetizing a generator that dosent work by plugging a drill in it and turning drill backwards. Never tryed that one

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
What make and model of generator? I've maintained and repair a lot of heavy duty generators and welder/generators over the years. I have a few appointments this afternoon but will try to check back and help.

I don't want to be a knucklehead, but check for any reset buttons or breakers that may have tripped. Sometimes all you need to do is cycle the breakers on and off a dozen times or so and they will tend to clean themselves and start passing power.

In the meantime, and assuming it's an induction generator and not a newer inverter set, if you can reach the brushes make sure they are moving in their holders and are in contact with the slip rings. If you can get to the slip rings and they are not clean and shiny carefully cleaning them with fine emery cloth is in order. Unplug the spark plug(s) if you are going to turn it over while cleaning the slip rings. Better yet [pull the plug(s) and you won't have to fight compression while turning the engine over to clean the rings.

Check any electrical connectors you see and clean them as needed.

And where are you?

Lance

Last edited:

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
BTW, if it hasn't been run under load regularly my first suspicion is that it lost the residual magnetism it need to generate power. If so you need to:

12 Volt Generator Battery Method

• Locate the voltage regulator for your generator.
      • Unplug the two wires that connect to the generator brushes. Normally one is red and the other is black or white.
      • Connect the black or white to the generator ground battery terminal.
      • Plug in a light, turn on the generator breaker or switch and start the motor.
      • Connect the battery +12 volts (red cable) to the red wire on the terminals you removed for three seconds.
      • Remove your wires and replace the plug. The generator should now be producing power again.
Some brush holders have spade or other connectors on the brush holder where you can flash the field without accessing the voltage regulator. And make sure you disconnect the load before shutting the set off or the load can drain the residual magnetism. Running a generator for a long time with no load will do the same thing, too.

Lance

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
It's a Coleman 5000 watt ,,I've tried resetting the push button resets but they won't stay in ,,I let it run an hour to see if needed to dry out still only getting 7 volts

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
I suspect that it may want to see power for the reset button to stay in. The actual model number of the set would be helpful. It's been about 10 years since I had a look around n a Coleman generator but the few I tried to troubleshoot had plastic brush holders and other light duty innards. They definitely weren't made for continuous operation.

If you can't get to the wire connected to the brushes here's a trick you might want to try using the magnets in a corded electric drill to flash the magnetic field. You might need three hands to hold the reset buttons in while you try this.

Electric Drill Method

• Plug in an electric drill into the generator receptacle.
      • If the drill is reversible, move the direction switch to the forward position.
      • Start the generator.
      • While depressing the trigger on the drill, spin the drill chuck in reverse direction. This will excite the field and the generator will now produce electricity. If spinning the chuck one direction does not work, try spinning the chuck in the other direction as you may have the reverse switch positioned backward.

Use caution not to get your hand or other materials caught in the chuck. As soon as the field is exited, the generator will produce power and the drill will turn on.

The reason this works is that the electric motor in the drill will act as a small generator when spun backward. The magnets in the drill's motor induce a voltage into the motor winding, which is fed back through the trigger cord and into the generator receptacle. From there it goes into the power winding of the stator. The voltage going through the power winding creates a magnetic field which is intensified due to the iron core of the stator laminations. The rotor intersects this magnetic field as it is spun past the power winding, thus inducing a voltage in the rotor winding. Once current flow is present in the rotor winding the rotor has been flashed.

As it was making power at first these tips may not help but they won't hurt.

Again, where are you?

Lance

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Push and hold the reset buttons a few minutes, I've had that make things go back to working.

Also as was asked....where are you?? This may get you some local help...

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Yow! That's about as far from me as you can get and still be in North Carolina.

If anyone reads this thread and is reasonably close to Knotts Island, NC and can help I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.

Lance

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If I was betting I would say the brushes are shot or is has a film on the commutator. Given that it produced power when it first started up I would go with the first option. It isn't going to be much of a help now but they are an easy fix and he can get a set and easily change them out. For the next round.