Gator hunt planned for Hyde County

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
https://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2017/Bills/House/PDF/H321v4.pdf

Bill that created the alligator license and set prices

(6) Resident American Alligator License – $250.00. This license shall be issued to an individual resident of the State and entitles the holder to take American alligator during the open alligator season by methods authorized by the Wildlife Resources Commission. This license expires June 30.

(7) Nonresident American Alligator License – $500.00. This license shall be issued to an individual nonresident of the State and entitles the holder to take American alligator during the open alligator season by methods authorized by the Wildlife Resources Commission. This license expires June 30.

(8) Resident Elk License – $500.00. This license shall be issued to an individual resident of the State and entitles the holder to take elk during the open elk season by methods authorized by the Wildlife Resources Commission. This license expires June 30.

(9) Nonresident Elk License – $1,000. This license shall be issued to an individual nonresident of the State and entitles the holder to take elk during the open elk Page 4 Session Law 2018-90 House Bill 321 season by methods authorized by the Wildlife Resources Commission. This license expires June 30.

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I've been to Hyde County many times over the years. But "frequent" alligator conflicts? That's down right hilarious! I mean who comes up with this stuff?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess anyone who buys the permit just wants to say they've taken a gator because with the permit price as it is they're not doing it for the money.
I was in Florida when they first opened a season and had several friends who participated. Gator hides and meat were bringing astronomical prices. That changed pretty doggone quickly. Now you'll have a hard time finding anyone who does it for anything but fun...

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess anyone who buys the permit just wants to say they've taken a gator because with the permit price as it is they're not doing it for the money.
I was in Florida when they first opened a season and had several friends who participated. Gator hides and meat were bringing astronomical prices. That changed pretty doggone quickly. Now you'll have a hard time finding anyone who does it for anything but fun...
I've Heard that the big "trophy" gators aren't much good to eat and those nice tender 6 footers are still being taken by those scofflaws in the backwaters. Gator hide isn't fun to work with for much of anything, especially those great big monster "trophy" gators.

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
CRC, buddy your are wrong. My remark is aimed at how/why the gator season was established. I know of what I speak because I spent 3 years setting up the surveys, conducting the surveys and compiling the results.