Gas Station Tacos

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I have eaten my share of Nics. Everything I have ever had there has been great.

I have to say though....I can name off a few gas stations that are right there with it.

I think it might just be a gas station/fried food thing. They just do it better.

Now there was a hole in the wall in Maxton that did a soul food buffet. Wasn’t a gas station.....but they got us three days in a row. That was some good food......but the worst sweet tea I’ve ever encountered.

Is this the restaurant your talking about...

H.H. Drive In and Catering Inc.​

Located on 74 business. They can have some pretty good food. Their chitlins are good. 🤤 Liver and onions is another good one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220116-073935_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220116-073935_Google.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 10

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Is this the restaurant your talking about...

H.H. Drive In and Catering Inc.​

Located on 74 business. They can have some pretty good food. Their chitlins are good. 🤤 Liver and onions is another good one.

I feel a road trip in the making,,,, well,,, guess it's not a road trip if it's only 25 minutes,,,

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I’ll eat some pretty sketchy stuff. I even have told people from time to time that have questioned me, “Ya gotta eat a little dirty sometimes. It keeps your stomach strong.” Silly? Maybe. Good food? Yes. Never been much for chicken livers or gizzards. For some reason I like the hot dogs at the BP on S. Fayettville St in Asheboro. The best I tell you.
I eat so dang many hot dogs growing up on the baseball field that I’d just as soon eat a bowl full of nails as I would a hotdog most days. But they’ve got the best hotdogs I’ve had anywhere. I used to get one everytime I needed some non-ethanol gas

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I eat so dang many hot dogs growing up on the baseball field that I’d just as soon eat a bowl full of nails as I would a hotdog most days. But they’ve got the best hotdogs I’ve had anywhere. I used to get one everytime I needed some non-ethanol gas
It’s the steamed bun that hits the mark. Kinda like Jimmy’s Hotdogs up in Easton.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I was travelling to Lubbock one fine day about daybreak and I found myself in Post, Tx needing fuel and feeling like I was starving. I stopped at an open gas station and I walked in to pay for the fuel and there were two little Mexican ladies who could barely see over the food service counter. For a few measly dollars I walked out with the best breakfast tacos stuffed with egg/chesse/steak and (OMG) grilled Hatch peppers. After wolfing down the first two I went back in for two more and a couple of burritos for the cooler. Best tacos ever.

Good gas station food within an hour of my house is the gas station over at Saxapahaw.

Nic's tater wedges beside of Mid South Guns is always a stop when I'm down there or just passing through.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Gas station on 11 south of Ayden used to have some amazing breakfast sandwiches. They had some damn good link sausage. Been a while though, so may not be good anymore.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
For a few measly dollars I walked out with the best breakfast tacos stuffed with egg/chesse/steak and (OMG) grilled Hatch peppers

there's a place in Van Horn, TX like that as well (expect there's one all over) - when I hunt south of there I get two of their breakfast burritos to start the day,, them things are as big around as my forearm and a good 10" long,,, and taste awesome,,,

and can hardly beat grilled hatch peppers (y)

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
that's nics,,, but there are many - some don't serve meals,,, where was that one? Don't look familiar (not that I have been to them all :unsure:),,, looks a bit like the Wagram store lot, but something seems missing by the building
Just below Aberdeen on 1. They had a small hot food counter. Damn good sausage biscuit. Reminded me of the one I described in a post above. ENC is the only place I can ever find good sausage like that.

23mako

Ten Pointer
The best gas station food I've had in a while is Island Burgers and Bites in Carolina Beach. If y'all are down that way be sure to check it out.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Has Kopps in boiling springs opened the grill back up? They make a nice greasy double bacon cheeseburger.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I’m actually surprised no one has recognize taco stand I was asking about. I know it’s kinda vague on the location, but I really thought someone would have called it out by now.
Its likely between Richmond Va and Raleigh on 85 or 95. If headed south, exit and turn left back across the highway, about 1/4-1/2 mile on the left.

Anyway. I’m making notes of other places to try, keep em coming.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
If you're Down East go to Harkers Island and check out Seaside on your left right after going onto the island. They are on the left side of the building that also houses a gas/convenience store and a gift shop. They have good local dishes, seafood and desserts.

And coming soon to Florence, SC is a Buc-ee's and that will make the trip to and from Santee a little better.

<>< Fish

todobien

Eight Pointer
For the life of me... I've never been able to gain a taste for gizzards. I think it's a texture thing for me. Same goes for clams(eating rubber bands) and potted meat.
I do not like clam strips at all but love some clam chowder AND when visiting up North fried soft shell clams. Its the whole clam fried just like an oyster.

todobien

Eight Pointer
Gas station on 11 south of Ayden used to have some amazing breakfast sandwiches. They had some damn good link sausage. Been a while though, so may not be good anymore.
Did they have Edgecmbe/Beaufort/Pitt Co style cheese biscuits?

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
there are a few around here that have good cheese biscuits and sausage links, fried chicken too. you can have the parts that should be fed to dogs.😄

Grimesland has a taco cart that blows every other mexican restaurant out of the water. $2 tacos, tongue included.

mexican restaurants are disappointing around here in general, but there are a couple holes that have authentic mexican vs the fast food of the others.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sausage probably came from Sumrell’s in Ayden. You can stop by Sumrell’s and buy the same sausage if you’re in the area again.
sumrells has some awesome sausage. has that African jerky too that's good.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
With all the people standing in line at Sheetz waiting for their ordered food whilst I grab by bag of Gardettos chips, I can't believe that trash ain't been brought up yet :D.

Back in the day, in RTP NC, at the corner of HWY 54 and Airport BLVD, there existed a T intersection. Competing Gas stations on opposing sides. One served "subs", the other served "fried stuff".

Someone at lunch one day suggested we get a "sub" from station A. I vehemently opposed! Gas station subs?!?!?!?
I obliged.

Another day, months/years later, someone suggested we get "fried chicken innards" from station B. "dude WHAT????"
I obliged.

The sub from station A was better than ANY sub y'all have had from any chain place. The amount of subsistence vs bread was overwhelming. The exact opposite of Jersey Mikes or Subway. ALL MEAT and toppings! Thing looked like an about ready to explode fajita.

The Fried stuff from Station B was innards, and OMG so good!

I ended up luring newcomers to both locations, all of whom said "I ain't eating no gas station food!". All of whom suggested either place years later.

Decades later, only the fried inner chicken place resumes.

:(

Moral of the story?

If you find a good one, use it till it's worn out!