Gary Paulsen

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I just saw that Gary Paulsen died recently of a cardiac arrest at age 82. I absolutely loved the two books of his I read growing up, "Hatchet" and "The River." I had no idea he wrote 200 books! I'll have to try to find them and read them one by one. Definitely one of my favorite YA authors as a kid.

According to this obituary, he was also a hunter and a trapper and he participated in the Iditarod, the 1,000-mile sled dog race in Alaska, several times. All of this despite, or maybe because of, a very difficult childhood.

Last edited:

KennyZeDevilDog

Eight Pointer
That's cruddy. He definitely inspired a lot of young folk to be wild, myself included. What a guy. What an author. I was recently looking him up, to look about getting the whole hatchet series. May he rest in peace.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Recently introduced my daughter to the Hatchet series. I’m re-reading them as well. Great books. Great author. I’ve read about dozen of his other books. Didn’t realize he had written that many.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I just saw that Gary Paulsen died recently of a cardiac arrest at age 82. I absolutely loved the two books of his I read growing up, "Hatchet" and "The River." I had no idea he wrote 200 books! I'll have to try to find them and read them one by one. Definitely one of my favorite YA authors as a kid.

According to this obituary, he was also a hunter and a trapper and he participated in the Iditarod, the 1,000-mile sled dog race in Alaska, several times. All of this despite, or maybe because of, a very difficult childhood.
I have a pretty comprehensive collection of his work. I absolutely loved his books as a kid. One of the few times I would pick up a book on my own free will was for one of his. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve read Dogsong. I really hate to hear this, but I had no idea how old he was.

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
Thanks for sharing. I don’t think I remember any other authors from my childhood but him. Great books that spoke to my internal outdoorsman.

Tony Hawkins

Eight Pointer
My son told me about this the other day. Sad to hear, and I can't believe it wasn't on the national news more.

Hatchet was great, but my favorite has always been "My Life in Dog Years". It is hard to find, but he tells about all the dogs he has owned. Sled dogs, lab, Great Dane, mutts off the street... great stories about how the dogs he had affected his life.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
from a 2006 interview,,,,

"Name the book that made the biggest impression on you. I bet you read it before you hit puberty.”

that's a (near) fact,,, maybe not puberty, but definitley as a youngin',,,