Garden

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Well, I planted carrot seeds during turkey season. They started off great, but this weekend the greens laid down and then started to turn brown :mad: I pulled them today.

Is this the wrong time of year to try a 2nd round of seeds?

darenative

Twelve Pointer
^^We planted a second round about a month ago, but put em in big 30" diameter pots so we could move em into more shaded areas to keep em cooler during periods of high heat.
Carrots we've planted in the garden/ground this late in years past were bland or even bitter. I assumed(maybe incorrectly) that it was due to the heat and to much sun.

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Anyone else’s tomatoes not producing all that well? Small in size on most varieties and black rot on many bottoms. Too much rain and then I think temps have been hotter than usual.

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
I am bombed with Cherokee purples right now. 2 five gallon buckets a week but i also planted 50... Had 11 cucumbers all summer... and no squash ..... just would not grow......

shadebaby

Six Pointer
Anyone else’s tomatoes not producing all that well? Small in size on most varieties and black rot on many bottoms. Too much rain and then I think temps have been hotter than usual.
Mine are the opposite producing more than last year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Funny I had plenty of squash and cucumbers. Romas, san marz, and mortgage lifters producing ok (smaller plants than expected) but others like my beefsteak and cherokee are only cherry size. Thinking I’ll only get a little over 100lbs of tomatoes.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Our tomatos are just producing so so this year. 50 plants in the ground and we're probably getting a little better than 2 5 gallon buckets a week. Tomato size is smaller than years past, but i think thats crappy weather off and on since this spring.

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Our tomatos are just producing so so this year. 50 plants in the ground and we're probably getting a little better than 2 5 gallon buckets a week. Tomato size is smaller than years past, but i think thats crappy weather off and on since this spring.
I’m about the same. Just planted a small second batch of tomatoes a few weeks ago just to see if I can get some producers before the fall.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Most everything here did ok. Everything is about done. The tomato’s did ok. Want best ever had. I planted 90 plants and think 80 to 85 made it. Planted several kinds but mostly determinate so come off close together for canning. Cucumbers did good but always stake them. Think getting the vines off the ground helps

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
At some point every year we deal with the black rot. Any sort of calcium spray usually cures it pretty quick. You can buy it or make your own with egg shells or Epsom salt. You can also add calcium to the soil but the results are a little slower for us.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
you can crush up some Tums for blossom end rot.
I only have 4 tomato plants , 2 German J's doing well with the Parks' whoppers just now producing.

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
I'm jealous. I had a great crop of German J's and Cherokee P's. Checked them one afternoon and decided to wait until the next day to pull the first big crop. Big mistake-Some sorry SOB sneaked into my backyard and took every tomato I had. Even the green ones. To say I was enraged is an understatement.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
PARKS WHOPPERS do the ABSOLUTE BEST for me every year w/out exception...good production, taste & size, w/ no blossom end rot or cracking. My 1st time planting Mortgage Lifters...one 5' tall plant w/ not one tomato yet & the other one ping pong ball size tomatoes w/ cracking. Better Boys doing great, but some cracking & blossom end rot due to extreme wet & dry conditions. Cherokee Purples doing good. My Ist time planting Red Brandywines & they are doing exceptionally well w/ huge fruit & no blossom end rot or cracking, but not real heavy production. All planted in the same raised garden w/ same soil. Go figure! Doggone 1/4" Army worms invasion on Cherokee Purple last 2 days & spayed w/ Captain Jacks...no not whiskey, but Dead bug spray.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Planted a row of Cherokee purples grew great. All the tomatoes split badly and ants attacked them. We’ve probably had 2 good tomatoes out of 10 plants. Ideas on how to avoid this? Pissed about the whole garden this year. Nothing did well and ready to plow it under. Okra is just starting to produce though. Everything else was disappointing!

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
ca111c071560cf8bf12c904e75e4ae1f.jpg

#beanday
We put up 81 qts today. No, they didn’t come from my tiny little garden[emoji17] One jar broke, 4 didn’t seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Canning supplies are in short supply and if you find them they are gouged worse than ammo. Going rate for lids are a buck a piece and a pack of 12 jars going $40+ on amazon and eBay. I managed to find some pints for less than $9.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
^Thats a fact. If you ain’t got what you need right now you’re SOL. My mom sent 18 dozen lids to my aunt in GA, because there wasn’t a lid to be found from Atlanta to Knoxville.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Tractor supply advertising quart jars for about what they have been running. Around 10.00 last I looked. I know the one in Franklin Va had a pallet of them sitting up front by the register

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Calcium, however you wish to add it. I put about a tablespoon per plant of 16-0-0 on mine every couple of weeks or so.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Planted a row of Cherokee purples grew great. All the tomatoes split badly and ants attacked them. We’ve probably had 2 good tomatoes out of 10 plants. Ideas on how to avoid this? Pissed about the whole garden this year. Nothing did well and ready to plow it under. Okra is just starting to produce though. Everything else was disappointing!
Cherokee Purples are tough. I have German Johnsons and have had the same problem in the past.

This year I put down weed cloth with a soaker hose underneath but I've been more aggressive about cutting them earlier than normal and letting them ripen in the kitchen window. I leave as much vine on the tomato as I can get away with to help the ripening.

kyle7630

Twelve Pointer
Cherokee Purples are tough. I have German Johnsons and have had the same problem in the past.

This year I put down weed cloth with a soaker hose underneath but I've been more aggressive about cutting them earlier than normal and letting them ripen in the kitchen window. I leave as much vine on the tomato as I can get away with to help the ripening.

My early Cherokee Purples did fantastic in the raised bed. After the spell of intense rain we had for a bit, the later ones did start to split. Not sure if it's because of the extra water or if it's something to do with the timing, but again, the early ones did very well and were delicious. I buried some fish heads and guts down about a foot or so under the plants this year. I'm not sure if it helped any, but it didn't seem to hurt.