Garden

timber

Twelve Pointer
Had 40 tomato plants covered with black plastic everything else is on its on. Hate to loose the string beans and butter beans Had to plant them twice to get a good stand but still have plenty seed left for 3rd time if needed

finbar

Spike
An old timer told me never put tomatoes in the ground before mother's day in the Piedmont so I just have potatoes, beets and onions now. Peppers and tomatoes seedlings are under lights in the barn.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I do 'sample' gardening April/Early May. Like split fertilizer applications I do split plantings to spread out batches. I prefer dipping the ear still on the stalk directly into the pot. If it doesn't take I'm not upset about the loss because the next batch will be in the ground shortly and I will replace the lost batch after. If it does take, I reap the rewards around Memorial Day. Certainly a good risk/reward.

I still make an effort to cover my stuff.

BigD

Spike
If you ever have a rusty bolt heat it red hot then spray with water. It will come apart easily. The stem cleans out all the crud.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Got maters, squash, zucchini, eggplant, and habaneros in the ground. Still got beans to go. Already got lil maters and squash on the plants.

shadebaby

Six Pointer
My helpers setting out tomatoes.
5e85a03ffaf8adb622294fba80ef9f68.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Put in 4 rows of silver king and 24 rows of field corn today. The peppers are making, tomatoes are blooming while the squash and zucchini are growing.
Plan to sow another plot, that's plowed and waiting, with sunflowers and millet by the end of the month for dove season so the boys can have a good hunt or three ..

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mine is beginning to look pretty good. Just did lay by nitrogen on the golden queen corn last week, maters are over 2 ft. tall. squash, zukes and cukes are starting to really pop. Taters look great! Best spinach and kale I've ever grown. Peanuts are breaking the ground. Just planted some butterbeans last week, but no rain since. Biggest disappointments are my onions and zipper peas. Only have half a dozen onions that came up, and my zipper peas just aren't growing very fast. I think the cold snap stunted them.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Has anyone else had problems with green bean seeds this year? I have taters that are better than 2 feet tall, the best looking tomato plants that I’ve had in years, okra and squash starting good and a full carrot, cucumber, and radish patch. But I’ve sowed my blue lake half runners and tenderettes 3 times now and probably only have 20 plants total started up. I’m used to putting up around 200 quarts of beans a year for the last 15 years, so I’m inclined to say I have an idea of what I’m doing, but this has me stumped. Any ideas?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Has anyone else had problems with green bean seeds this year? I have taters that are better than 2 feet tall, the best looking tomato plants that I’ve had in years, okra and squash starting good and a full carrot, cucumber, and radish patch. But I’ve sowed my blue lake half runners and tenderettes 3 times now and probably only have 20 plants total started up. I’m used to putting up around 200 quarts of beans a year for the last 15 years, so I’m inclined to say I have an idea of what I’m doing, but this has me stumped. Any ideas?

Strange,

I started several things from seeds this year. Mostly in buckets. All came up except for French green beans I planted in soil 2 weeks ago. Nada, zip, not a single sprout.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

We’ve planted twice. First time the seed rotted, it got too wet.
Second planting is doing a little better but not outstanding.
I don’t have an answer but I’m struggling a bit with them as well this year.

timber

Twelve Pointer

Had trouble with first planting of green beans but plAnted them them back end of March first of April. Planted them over they did fine. Have another younger crop up good also. Probably plant a third crop next week. Some of the seeds I’m using are several years old. Look like they came up as good as the new seed I bought this year.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t think I had a single okra seed break the ground. Corn.....maybe a third of the seeds popped. Replanted the empty spots....maybe up to 75% now. Nothing in my garden is impressing me. First year I have ever planted onions....I think they are doing okay. They are the best looking thing in the garden. I’ve never had trouble starting any cucumbate from seed. Had to plant squash twice, cucumbers twice, and I have not seen a watermelon sprout up yet.

Have lettuce and carrots in pots....not being impressed by them now.

The two tomatoes I put in hydroponic buckets....they look strong.

It’s going to be a tough year.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dads garden is soaked. Holding water on every row. No way to drain it. Maybe be able to get the tractor in next weekend if it were not calling for rain again.

I have a feeling he will save the plants by hand.....but everything seeded....I imagine that’s all going to get the disc as soon as it’s dry.

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
My poor wife went through 3 rounds of peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers. The first batch was too early ( but you never know) then we had a late frost here in SE NC.

It's all coming along now. But now we're fighting the weeds. Fortunately, all the rain hasn't messed anything up, but I could see how it would mess up certain crops for you folks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

darenative

Twelve Pointer
My okra is struggling and my ginger roots have had too much water and i doubt they will sprout. Everything else is doing pretty dang good.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I tried a new to me variety of uncoated sweet corn and the germination rate was poor. So poor it was a dismal 22%, I don't know if I should blame it on the temperatures because I planted at same time as #2 went in. I replanted with inoculated seeds I've used before and got a near 100% germination. I have good drainage so I anticipate no trouble now. Hopefully can get the next batch planted when a window opens.

It took a bit to get my tomatoes going but they are heading strong and have blooms. Didn't have to replant any and extra tall cages are in place.

Even getting hay rolling is tough, took a full week to dry with a mixture of cool overcast days. Now it looks like I'll still be doing first cut of hay in July at the current rate because I would need a week to dry up enough to even think about trying to put weight on it. No bueno, going to have some over ripe hay.

Oh well, another day in Ag.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I didn’t think about it, but the corn I planted in the garden was uncoated. Don’t think I’ve ever planted any that wasn’t some color or another.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm actually afraid of what I find when I get home with all the rain we've had there the last week. Small spot in the back yard may be ok, but not sure. Planted 28 rows of corn in the back that I'm sure is standing in water. Have another 3/4 acre or so ready to put in sunflower and millet for dove season that needs to be in this week, yet I don't think I'll be able to slog through it without making a total mess...