Garden woes.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Mine literally looks like a tree but no peppers yet.
I over wintered 2 so they put off way faster. I had trimmed them when they were small too, so they look like bushes and have really upped production this year, and don’t have to cage or anything.

Last year I didn’t get any until late sept and the they still had first run fruit when I pulled them in for frost.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I over wintered 2 so they put off way faster. I had trimmed them when they were small too, so they look like bushes and have really upped production this year, and don’t have to cage or anything.

Last year I didn’t get any until late sept and the they still had first run fruit when I pulled them in for frost.

Gives me hope then. I really want to overwinter mine. They have plenty of flowers now, just super slow compared to the habanero and scorpions

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I have a Texas Tepin and a Tabasco I plan to bring in, both in pots. Hoping to help them make it for another year or two. How much trimming is recommended?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've never had success overwintering them, you really need a greenhouse.
My bucket planting trial was very successful this year for all the hot stuff but a miserable failure for bell and jalapeno peppers.
I grew more hot varieties than ever, just because. I'm gonna try some imaginative ways to make some useable hot sauce with them.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
My cayenne peppers are just starting to turn red. I need a bunch more to turn red for my next batch of hot sauce.

Last edited:

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My bucket planting trial was very successful this year for all the hot stuff but a miserable failure for bell and jalapeno peppers.
I grew more hot varieties than ever, just because. I'm gonna try some imaginative ways to make some useable hot sauce with them.

I have a greenhouse, actually just took it down and put it away until after the first of the year. I'll lose the plants instead of putting it back up and running the heater in it for months. I can start over with new seed later, but have seen some that have had success with bringing plants indoors so was looking for methods that work from the more experienced than I.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Eating on last patch of late sweet corn. Was going plant few different kinds of greens but been so wet not sure if will mess with it. Disked up the place that was going plant but been so wet since haven’t been able to do anything else there. May just wait and plant everything in cover crop for next year

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Gonna re-configure several place here too. Gonna put it roads and plant as much as possible in cow peas to help the soil. Shifting garden spots as well to utilize more damp areas and more dry spots.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I have a Texas Tepin and a Tabasco I plan to bring in, both in pots. Hoping to help them make it for another year or two. How much trimming is recommended?
I trim them back so there was a few leaves on each branch. They’ll grow new branches from buds at them leaves you leave.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I just bought a grow light to put on them for a few hours a day. Little light and only watering 1x week and they stayed dormant.

I grew all mine in buckets last year, only problem was when I had to go on storm and the wife was slack on watering them.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
My cayenne peppers are just starting to turn red. I need a bunch more to turn red for my next batch of hot sauce.
I like cayennes. They have got to be the most productive pepper I have ever grown. Didn’t even have to plant any this year from all I still have from last.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Trying a new hotsauce recipe this year. Sounded delicious.
I have plenty pickled in jars now and am open to some sauce recipes that you guys would be willing to share. Got lots of cayenne and chili coming off, my Tabasco plants are starting to produce as well as the tepins (red and Texas, with red MUCH hotter) Trying to nurse my one ghost pepper back to health so hopefully can get a few more off of it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have plenty pickled in jars now and am open to some sauce recipes that you guys would be willing to share. Got lots of cayenne and chili coming off, my Tabasco plants are starting to produce as well as the tepins (red and Texas, with red MUCH hotter) Trying to nurse my one ghost pepper back to health so hopefully can get a few more off of it.
I used a generous amount of jalapenos and anaheim peppers along with apples and onions on the bigger batch , lots of sugar to ferment. My hot peppers range from Reapers, Ghosts and super hot Aji's . My newest crazy hot pepper is a brain strain...it's insane hot. It doesn't take much to heat up a big batch.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
My last batch that I bottled and delivered to family last week consisted of 5 lbs of red jalapenos, 1.5 lbs of cayenne peppers and about 8 habanero peppers along with about 10 cloves of garlic. I really like the red jalapenos. I fermented the jalapenos in separate jars from the cayenne peppers. The jalapenos had the seeds removed. When I pureed and strained the jalapenos, the resulting sauce was nice and thick since the jalapenos are thicker walled. There was more sauce per pepper. Since I didn't remove the seeds from the cayenne peppers, the resulting sauce was thin and watering. Far more skin and seeds were strained out of the puree.

I threw out the strained skins and seeds from the cayenne peppers. The strained solids from the jalapenos looked like tomato paste. I added some of the brine to the strained solids to make a liquid that looked like a thick salsa you would get in a Mexican restaurant. Gave that to a friend of mine.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Had about talked myself out of planting anything else. Guess playing in the dirt is just in my blood. Went out picked up about 90 plants this am from nursery. Mostly collards and cabbage with few broccoli and cauliflower. Ground still wet Disked it lightly some yesterday should dry out today if no more rain

timber

Twelve Pointer
Got a late crop purple hull peas from the volunteers where I mowed the first crop. Nothing like the first crop but looks like couple bushels. Have sprayed them a couple times over the last few weeks to keep insects out but other than that did nothing

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I like the looks of those eggs
Thanks. I have been raising a new flock of various breeds to create a multicolored dozen, light brown,dark brown,blue,green and white. So many people selling eggs nowadays I am trying to have something a little different. Skunk wipes out my blue egg americaunas so I'm a few months away from the new chickens laying but should end up with about 45 layers total before I start up breeding and incubating for more

timber

Twelve Pointer
Planted some late yellow and zucchini squash end of august. Used some old seed that was several years old. The yellow came up fine but zucchini didn’t Replanted the zucchini first of September. Been getting squash now couple weeks. Think the zucchini are about the biggest vines had all year. But did side dress them good with some 46-0-0 when fertilizing the collards

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
My $0.75 half dead ghost pepper I bought on clearance is putting the $6 one to shame. I just hope it has time to finish.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Planted some late yellow and zucchini squash end of august. Used some old seed that was several years old. The yellow came up fine but zucchini didn’t Replanted the zucchini first of September. Been getting squash now couple weeks. Think the zucchini are about the biggest vines had all year. But did side dress them good with some 46-0-0 when fertilizing the collards
Good Night! 46-0-0??? I'm bad to burn stuff up with a whole lot less nitrogen than that!

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was finally able to get this to load... Sunday morning I picked another batch of my late peppers and needed to do something with them. Have plenty pickled and frozen, so decided to make up another round of sauce and jelly. Ended up with almost a quart of Tabasco and a pint of Tepin sauces to age before straining and cutting. That should finish up at near 3 quarts total. Also, 7 jars each of Jalapeno and Habanero jelly. Still have peppers hanging but this cold is doing a number on the plants. Think I'll just mow em down and plow in the plants.

20211122_203731.jpg