Garden woes.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
We have two geese that raised two young ones on our pond, they got in the garden yesterday and ate most of the ripe tomatoes, completely wiped out all of the cherry tomatoes and of left a few German Johnsons and better boys.
I've never heard of geese eating tomatoes.
I ran them out of the garden this morning and they were back in ten minutes.
My wife won't let me take care of the problem.

timber

Twelve Pointer
We have two geese that raised two young ones on our pond, they got in the garden yesterday and ate most of the ripe tomatoes, completely wiped out all of the cherry tomatoes and of left a few German Johnsons and better boys.
I've never heard of geese eating tomatoes.
I ran them out of the garden this morning and they were back in ten minutes.
My wife won't let me take care of the problem.

Think I would tell the wife will treat her to a shopping trip she needed some new clothes. When her car got out of sight be firing up the grill for some smoked goose

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Need a little help here. Our squash seem to be molding and rotting on the vine. Small and big and vines are yellow. Also the bottoms are rotting out of the tomatoes. Any advice.

Attachments

• 20210715_073525.jpg
    20210715_073525.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210715_073412.jpg
    20210715_073412.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210715_073402.jpg
    20210715_073402.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 2

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Need a little help here. Our squash seem to be molding and rotting on the vine. Small and big and vines are yellow. Also the bottoms are rotting out of the tomatoes. Any advice.

Blossom rot is an indication your tomatoes have calcium deficiency. You may have enough calcium but if you are not watering regularly or over fertilizing, that will also slow the plants ability to send calcium to the fruit.

Squash you might have a drainage is too slow and they are overwatered or you have a calcium deficiency.

As it appears you have an issue affecting two plant types simultaneously, I’m leaning to a calcium deficiency. Pull all the affected fruit and add gypsum to the soil.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Squash looks like to much water. Like was said above rot on end of tomatoes could have several reasons. To much water or not enough calcium Sometimes with the tomatoes the first ones that come off will have the end rot then it will mostly clear up. They have some sprays for calcium but haven’t had much luck. I put the calcium down when I plant the tomatoes

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
aphids!
trying vinegar and water right now. anyone have any luck with diy remedy?
these are one some tomatoe plants I have on a screened porch. none on my outside ones.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
aphids!
trying vinegar and water right now. anyone have any luck with diy remedy?
these are one some tomatoe plants I have on a screened porch. none on my outside ones.
Castile soap and water will take care of them.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty much all my squash and zucchini are dead....bugs are my guess. Peppers still look great. Suggestions for later season plants this time of year once i get the dead ones out?

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
These Cherokee purples make awesome sandwiches.
Hope to have my first fanning of tomatoes this weekend this pic is a couple days old so they’re just about ripe now

Attachments

• 77E9125B-869E-4EC3-921E-5259288D9353.jpeg
    77E9125B-869E-4EC3-921E-5259288D9353.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 0FF9CF93-CCFD-4D19-8E58-0CCB3B553E96.jpeg
    0FF9CF93-CCFD-4D19-8E58-0CCB3B553E96.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 11

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
What do you all recommend for a general fungicide? I'm getting some on my cucumbers and I think my tomatoes as well.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Pretty much all my squash and zucchini are dead....bugs are my guess. Peppers still look great. Suggestions for later season plants this time of year once i get the dead ones out?

Still time for most things you planted in the spring except tomatoes. Have planted some tomatoes around the 1st of July the time ran out on them Got a few but the frost got the most. Snaps, corn, squash, Okra, peas will still make. Along about middle of august is when I start on the cool season vegetables like cabbage,collards, carrots and the other greens

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
First canning on the camp stove fixing to boil. Just enough left to do a couple quarts of salsa. I’d love to do some okra but time will be limited this week

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Peppers are looking good. I wasn’t exactly sure what these were going to be. I had bring 6 plants in last fall and over wintered them in the house. Only 2 made it and I couldn’t remember what was what. I put them in the ground this year and they exploded. I trim mine early so they get bushy and these look like big bushes. Has to be 100+ flowers/ fruit on each one. Turns out they are both scorpions. One is a Trinidad and one is Butch T. I can’t believe the difference between a first year and second year plant. These things are huge and putting off more fruit, substantially sooner that last year. A deer come by and nipped off the top of one. Didn’t touch the other, so I don’t know if they got a pepper and some 🔥 or what. C260AC70-2311-47D9-A127-2BDA89C422C6.jpegC0F7316A-E53E-4F5D-A22F-043A60F3875A.jpeg2D82D48C-D5DD-41DA-97B6-452A274E751E.jpeg

ctsnow

Six Pointer
Bagged 18 quarts of sweet corn and froze it. Canned 20 pints of green beans and 15 pints of pickles. Also froze a bunch of squash and zucchini. Finally have some tomatoes coming in. First watermelon should be ready by next week so looking forward to that

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
We got over an inch and a half of rain here the last two days so I had to pull a lot of tomatoes off the vines to keep them from splitting. Most will be canned so they can ripen on the porch. Got about half my red Pontiac taters dug,won't set no size records this year that late freeze gave them a setback. But still got a lot of them 50% are chicken egg size,30% baking size and the rest was bigger than my fist so can't complain. 20210719_212954.jpg20210719_212925.jpg

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
For anyone that may be looking. Walmart in Apex has lots of squash and zucchini plants. Guess they got more stock, many have 4+ plants in them so it's a good deal for $6

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I don't know why but I never have much success with late season zucchini plants. I've tried late July/August planting the last two years and each time the plants never grew to a full size and never produced one zucchini.

timber

Twelve Pointer
I normally plant the things like squash and cucumbers from seed. Especially this time of year the seeds will germinate and take off so fast want be much difference in when that start producing

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Mine are always from seed. The late plantings do initially take off but then just peter out with producing anything. It is probably due to the shortening amount of daylight. The garden already is partially shaded in the morning hours. Probably getting enough daylight to produce in June/July but not September.

timber

Twelve Pointer
About ready for this garden thing to end. One of the better years in a whole. Between peas and butter beans together picked and shelled about 8 bushels last few days plus finished up canning tomatoes. Had so many tomatoes this year couldn’t can or give away anywhere near what was on the vines. Probably several bushels going to the baron the vines.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Anybody’s garden already headed down hill? My tomatoes are dying, along with the squash, zucchini and cucumbers. Peppers just did finally start making fruit, but they’re headed south as well. I’m guessing all the rain we got or some disease got the better of my plants.
Also, all of my remaining tomatoes are bruising on the vine, any idea what causes that kind of spot?