Garden woes.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Pulled my first squash, zucchini and cucumbers too. Been getting jalapenos for a few weeks now. Thai chili's are looking good and habaneros are producing too.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My squash and zucchini quit producing right as they got started good. I may have gotten 10 or 12 total and boom. Nothing.

tomatoes will be coming in soon if I can keep the end rot away; a couple succumbed to this already. Cukes coming slowly and okra behind that. No amount of sevin has kept the peppers safe from bugs

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
My squash and zucchini quit producing right as they got started good. I may have gotten 10 or 12 total and boom. Nothing.

tomatoes will be coming in soon if I can keep the end rot away; a couple succumbed to this already. Cukes coming slowly and okra behind that. No amount of sevin has kept the peppers safe from bugs
Same thing here, squash and zucchini quit producing after a couple of good pics, they would bloom and then wilt away.
Cucumbers are looking good and tomatoes too.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't seen a honeybee in my garden, yet. How about any of you. I just bought 2 seed mixes in picture. Going to see if these will attract honeybees. I haven't applied any insecticide, yet.20210626_085346.jpg

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I doubt if sevin is the main cause for the garden not to produce. I use it and a few other insecticides on regular basis over the next few months. Never had a problem. I do try to avoid spraying early in the mornings. I usually try to spray any insecticide right after lunch in the heat of the day. The bees are not as active
Best time of day for hive inspections is mid day since most of the foragers are out and the hive is less crowded.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, I've gone from "garden woes" to "garden Whoa!" I've been giving away buckets full of squash and zucchini. My taters have done FANTASTIC...best yield of potatos I've ever had, and bigguns too. Cabbage did well, and had the best yield of green beans in years. Got 23 pints caned and giving plenty away. Corn is about to come off too. Getting a few tomatoes and peppers here and there. No butterbeans or peas yet though.
Blueberries are probably about their peak now too. Staying pretty busy picking and putting up.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I'm getting tired of killing squash bug eggs and baby ones. Only found a couple of adults and have killed them too. What is everyone using to kill them?

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I use sevin dust on leaves to keep them from laying eggs but it don't last long. After the eggs hatch you got troubles,I get tired of dusting and trying to stay ahead of them and just keep new plants coming on every couple of weeks. Vine borers will take out plants just as bad but I got plenty of room and seeds to keep rolling

timber

Twelve Pointer
Seems to be one of the better garden years in awhile. Cooked eat and gave away squash till about tired of them. Have about 80 tomato plants left hanging full. Picked a few but most are about a week or so off. As usual way over planted everything. Had several rows of corn that I mowed that never picked before got all I needed

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Wife’s garden is getting hammered by potato bugs. Now that they’ve finished them off, they’re hitting her tomatoes and eggplants hard. We try to avoid chemicals but they’re laying and hatching eggs faster than she can grab and smash em. Any suggestions?

timber

Twelve Pointer
If its potato beetle use something with spinosad in it. Not sure thats exact spelling but close. Think there are several brands on the market with that in it. One brand thats easy to find is colorado potato beetle beater

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
All my peppers are coming in strong. Everything else is crap. Squash and zukes and cukes blooming but not making. Maters got the blight and won’t turn. Hell with it🤷‍♂️

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Tomatoes are starting to turn ripe now so we rounding up the jars. Got almost 3/4 of an inch of rain yesterday I hope the tomatoes don't start cracking the skins20210702_203523.jpg20210702_204856.jpg

timber

Twelve Pointer
They have some varieties they call blight and disease resistant. My experience thats not exactly true but they are alot better than the old varities with no resistance. Mountain Fresh or Mountain spring are a couple but there others. Some years seem to be worse than others regardless of the variety. I usually start out planting 90 to 100 tomato plants. That leaves plenty room for them to die off and still have way more tomatoes than can use or give away. If you can avoid any kind of over top the plant watering seems to help

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
lime slurry helped stop tomatoe rot for my plants. Had to small beds with matters. one was rotting on the vines while the other was fine. 3 feet apart. added lime juice and it stopped the rot.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
If its potato beetle use something with spinosad in it. Not sure thats exact spelling but close. Think there are several brands on the market with that in it. One brand thats easy to find is colorado potato beetle beater
That’s exactly the name of the stuff I had found online. Same spelling too. Thanks for confirming

timber

Twelve Pointer
Seeing more bees this year in the peas than ever remember seeing. Wanted to spray them yesterday but decided to wait till right after light this am to cut down on the collateral damage.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Wife’s garden is getting hammered by potato bugs. Now that they’ve finished them off, they’re hitting her tomatoes and eggplants hard. We try to avoid chemicals but they’re laying and hatching eggs faster than she can grab and smash em. Any suggestions?
ducks

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Vine borers got my 2 squash plants. I know I have time to plant new ones, but I'm not sure anywhere is still selling them? How long would it take if I took a seed from one of the squashes I'm gonna eat this week to produce?

My cukes so far this year are long and skinny, last year they were curved and fat. No jokes please.

Hoping to have my first edible eggplant this year in another raised bed. Last 3 seasons the fruits got brown spots just before ripening.

Few mater plants I put in are looking good for salads!

I might have to learn how to can hungarian wax peppers. I have like 12 plants and they usually take off in September. Any ideas lemme have em!

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Man don’t let my wife see this lol. She’s been wanting ducks bad. How do they do with crops in general? Would I be fortunate enough that they’d eat the bugs and not the plants? Or is it wishful thinking 🤔

Ducks are nasty creatures when you're raising them. Lol.

Eggs are superior to chicken, in every way(IMO), but we won't raise ducks anymore.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Pla
Vine borers got my 2 squash plants. I know I have time to plant new ones, but I'm not sure anywhere is still selling them? How long would it take if I took a seed from one of the squashes I'm gonna eat this week to produce?

My cukes so far this year are long and skinny, last year they were curved and fat. No jokes please.

Hoping to have my first edible eggplant this year in another raised bed. Last 3 seasons the fruits got brown spots just before ripening.

I might have to learn how to can hungarian wax peppers. I have like 12 plants and they usually take off in September. Any ideas lemme have em!

Planted a 2nd crop of squash think somewhere first of June. Pulled some off them Saturday. Dosent take long

Last edited:

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

The way I can my peppers:

Trim to clean stems.
Wash. Dry
Place peppers in jar size of choice (cleaned)
Place seals in small pot of hot water. Heat to moderate temp while taking care of next step.
Heat enough vinegar to fully cover peppers in jar. Heat to roll, not a full boil.
Pour vinegar over peppers, filling jar.
Screw lid ring down on seal.
Set jar(s) on towel on counter and cover with
another towel. You can use a large towel with part under and part over. This slows cooling allowing for better product.
Allow to cool until lids pop signifying a seal.
Done.