Garden woes.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ok, help me out here... I know SOMEBODY put a picture up showing different issues with plants, but cannot for the life of me find it! It may help, but I'll explain my issue anyway.
I've noticed over the last few days an issue with my string beans. The leaves on some are just dying and look to be killing the plant. Not all, but I'm sure it will come to that if I don't take action pretty quick. I have seen no sign of this on any of the other type beans.

20210607_093707.jpg20210607_093649.jpg

This morning while doing a walk through, I find the same issue now with just a few zucchini plants, I counted 3 with dying leaves. No squash in the adjoining row appears to be afflicted yet..

20210607_093725.jpg

I have several liquids I can spray with as well as Sevin, but have been hesitant to use them and damage the pollinators. What say ye, and what can I do here?

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Ok, help me out here... I know SOMEBODY put a picture up showing different issues with plants, but cannot for the life of me find it! It may help, but I'll explain my issue anyway.
I've noticed over the last few days an issue with my string beans. The leaves on some are just dying and look to be killing the plant. Not all, but I'm sure it will come to that if I don't take action pretty quick. I have seen no sign of this on any of the other type beans.

View attachment 67728View attachment 67729

This morning while doing a walk through, I find the same issue now with just a few zucchini plants, I counted 3 with dying leaves. No squash in the adjoining row appears to be afflicted yet..

View attachment 67730

I have several liquids I can spray with as well as Sevin, but have been hesitant to use them and damage the pollinators. What say ye, and what can I do here?
That looks like some sort of blight. I'm not a horticulturist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. If it is it's a bacterial infection and not much you can do at this juncture. Although, next year plant something else in that part of the garden.

I have a tomato plant with this, and research told me to rotate within the Garden next year and plant a non-nightshade (tomatoes, pepper, etc.) on that part of the garden and plant blight-resistant tomato species in the other part of it and that hopefully will help.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Almost looks like a nitrogen burn, did you spray or broadcast fertilizer at a high dose lately? I'd have to look at a chemical process as far as what it appears.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Hard to tell in photo but agree looks like some kind of burn from a herbicide or fertilizer

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Not saying this is your problem, I had some grape vines and small trees that looked like that after wind drifted 2-4-d from spraying pasture

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Almost looks like a nitrogen burn, did you spray or broadcast fertilizer at a high dose lately? I'd have to look at a chemical process as far as what it appears.

I lightly fertilized everything about a week ago with 10-10-10. Put it on the ground near, but not at, the plants. I guess it is possible I overdid a spot here and there.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I lightly fertilized everything about a week ago with 10-10-10. Put it on the ground near, but not at, the plants. I guess it is possible I overdid a spot here and there.
If so it'll grow out as long as fertilizer isn't sitting against the main vine.
Peas don't like a lot of nitrogen but squash usually eat it up
Damage is too sporadic for leaf miners, doesn't look like slug damage.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Have you checked em real good for vine borers?
I lost about half my squash last year to em and they looked just about like yours do.

Last edited:

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have you checked em real good fore vine borers?
I lost about half my squash last year to em and they looked just about like yours do.

It is so wet now I can't even walk my rows to get down and look, but from the ends of the rows, I can't see any sign. I do have leaves on plants with holes but hesitating to put chemicals out just yet...

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone else have squash stems splitting. I’ve had 3 or 4 that have stems splitting. All my research says it’s a water issue.....which it could be with all the rain after being extremely dry. I did irrigate during the dry....so I’m surprised it was that bad.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thats not fertilizer burn or herbicide.

At glance one would think fungus/blight etc but check it for spider mites, that’s my starting point.

I guess it's time to dust everything when I can get through the rows. I did see some things today that doesn't need to be there.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Went to pick snap beans to can today but the rabbits must have decided I didn’t need them all. Didn’t get but about 3/4 bushel. Should been about double that but the row next to the corn was almost cleaned

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Something is eating my squash again. Guess I’ll have to spray it heavy tomorrow. This is the first time I have dealt with anything doing this. I’d say squash harvest will be meager at best this year.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

View attachment 67728View attachment 67729

View attachment 67730

First glance I said powdery mildew. A second look I don’t think that’s it but I’d have to say a fungal issue. Try some of the Systemic fugicides you can get at Lowe’s?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
First glance I said powdery mildew. A second look I don’t think that’s it but I’d have to say a fungal issue. Try some of the Systemic fugicides you can get at Lowe’s?

Pretty much all of them are either dead or dying. Nothing else is showing the same symptoms. I'll let em go and have another spot waiting to prep for a late season of string beans. Gonna do more sweet corn also since I gotta break more ground anyway. Got it sprayed today and hope to get it tilled in the next week to be ready for seed.
Peppers are now saturated and getting weak, but nothing I can do about that.. I'll re-think my.location for them next year.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think they are to the point now that they aren’t gonna be doing much this year. Something ate on them early on and now the stems are splitting bad. Tomatos and peppers are looking good. Cant win for losing.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Deer snipped 23 of my tomatoes. Put up a fence and held them off for about 2 weeks but last night one went through the fence and snipped another one. I’m getting sick of the things

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I think they are to the point now that they aren’t gonna be doing much this year. Something ate on them early on and now the stems are splitting bad. Tomatos and peppers are looking good. Cant win for losing.
My squash stems split some last year was worse because we had alot more rain. The early prolific straight neck is worse than crookneck for some reason but they still produce it just shortens the lifespan of the plant. Mine split where it makes the turn coming out of the ground and heals over,sometimes I pile dirt or straw over the stem to keep it moist and 50 percent of the time it grows roots. My problem is always squash bugs,pesticides keep the pollinator bugs away so I just keep planting new plants to stay ahead.but yea my tomatoes are jamming too20210616_103615.jpg20210616_103718.jpg20210616_103955.jpg

timber

Twelve Pointer
Finished up putting up corn and canning snap beans. Have tomatoes purple hull peas and butterbeans left to put up. Probably going be another 10 daya or so on them. So far everything has done really good execpt cucumbers. I think the early cool weather and herbicides i used for weeds and grass messed them up. Probably plant some more this weekend

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
My gardening sucks this year,all I have planted is doing good I just can't stop doing all kinds of random repairs and maintenance around the place long enough to get the rest of what I normally plant in the ground. So I'm going to have some late stuff going on,blue lakes,fordhook lima's, okra,crowder peas all be trying to produce the hottest part of the summer.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Had an epiphany last night when I got home. Excited to see how things were going since I've been in SD went down with a light. I found out that a flashlight shining from the bottom of the plant illuminates it enough to find any squash bug eggs. I then smash them on the leaf. Works great for eradicating those pesky things.