Garden/Canning ‘22

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Figured I throw it here since you guys seem to have the green thumbs.

I'm moving my compost bin and want some suggestions.
current bin behind the wheelbarrow. going to make beds with the white bed things.
20220617_074440.jpg

I plan on doubling my chicken run down the fence line. Keeping it separate with small door in existing end. compost pile will separate the two runs and be part of the extension.
20220617_074347.jpg20220617_074404.jpg
I've got landscape timbers to make a 3 sided compost bin. Will make a barn door to access.
I figured the chickens will keep the pile weed free and supplement with bugs and stuff.

My question is. What would you all do for the bottom of the compost bin?
Nothing, bare ground?
pavers/concrete pieces?
I could even line it with timbers I have.

what would you guys suggest?

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Nice onions, how do you dry them? We used to string them and hang them under an outside shelter which I don't have now.
We lay them out on that trailer when we pull them. Then we back that trailer under the shed and let then sit for a while. Sounds similar ti what youve done, but laying flat instead of hanging

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Figured I throw it here since you guys seem to have the green thumbs.

I'm moving my compost bin and want some suggestions.
current bin behind the wheelbarrow. going to make beds with the white bed things.
View attachment 93305

I plan on doubling my chicken run down the fence line. Keeping it separate with small door in existing end. compost pile will separate the two runs and be part of the extension.
View attachment 93306View attachment 93307
I've got landscape timbers to make a 3 sided compost bin. Will make a barn door to access.
I figured the chickens will keep the pile weed free and supplement with bugs and stuff.

My question is. What would you all do for the bottom of the compost bin?
Nothing, bare ground?
pavers/concrete pieces?
I could even line it with timbers I have.

what would you guys suggest?
For low end composting like weeds,sawdust, leaves I do bare ground because the piles usually are larger. But concentrated nitrogen sources like chicken manure I use some type of bottom to slow down leaching into the ground. I don't want water to stand in the compost so its usually flat or maybe just a small lip around the edge. Concrete or pavers would be ideal. I use a variety of containers from wire mesh to the outer shells of old ac units, clothes dryer drums with about 40 bullet holes in the sides but all have some type of bottom

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Squash, zucchini and blackberries are all I'm getting so far,everything is slow because of no rain and very little dew overnight. Cucumbers are full of blooms but are not getting pollinated unless I do it myself which is less than 50% effective. Total rainfall this month so far is 0.17 inches and don't think we had 2 inches for all of may. What watering I do just keeps plants alive not prospering. I think that overnight dew that provides a few hours of moisture on the leaves means more to the plants that the watering I provide and the lack of moisture in the ground just ain't making it happen

dubbeltap69

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Squash, zucchini and blackberries are all I'm getting so far,everything is slow because of no rain and very little dew overnight. Cucumbers are full of blooms but are not getting pollinated unless I do it myself which is less than 50% effective. Total rainfall this month so far is 0.17 inches and don't think we had 2 inches for all of may. What watering I do just keeps plants alive not prospering. I think that overnight dew that provides a few hours of moisture on the leaves means more to the plants that the watering I provide and the lack of moisture in the ground just ain't making it happen
Same here. Surviving, but not thriving.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Been so dry here having to supplement the drip tape some with over head sprinklers. Was going plant some sweet potatoes but not planting anything else have to water. Potatoes did good planted about 1/2 red and 1/2 white with a few Yukon gold mixed in. Think the reds were a little better. Ended up with about 6 bushels off 3 rows. Gave most of them away The late drought hurt the size of the potatoes some. Butterbeans are blooming with some small beans on the vine. If don’t get some rain on them soon they want make much. The first row of tomatoes I planted are loaded. Been pulling some of the small green ones off to help plant

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have been using drip tape on a timer, 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening. We are on county water so our water bill went up about 10 dollars last month. Its been dry here, but we have had some big storms roll through that allowd me to turn off the irrigation for a few days. When it has rained it poured. Most of the water washed away.
20220611_174930.jpg

I bet this is the same event that took down @woodmoose tree last week.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
We've been super dry here in the east. Had to water the yard and garden just about every day for 6 or 8 weeks now. Had to start over head watering last week in the garden to keep up with demand.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I will plant some crowder peas and butter beans yet for a late crop and I'm done. Potatoes are going to be golf ball size so as soon as the plants start turning they are coming out. May root some tomato cuttings and set out beside the well house for a buffer to insure enough gets canned. We only can green beans every other year and skipped last year which I now regret. Really made for a lot of extra watering

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I just got the first peach off of a tree I planted a few years ago. Sweet taste of success. it's been quite the learning experience in bugs, fungus, and furry pests.

A guy that had a small peach orchard said basically once you start spraying each year, you don't stop. He called it a spraying regime.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Put up sweet corn this morning. Had more worm damage than have seen in a while. I usually just cut out the worm spots but this was bad. Probably threw away 25 ears or more that had to much damage to mess with

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
I dug some red Pontiacs and pulled the rest of my spring onions. My wife fried the potatoes this morning for breakfast and they were awesome. I just picked a few blueberries for the kids. The birds have wiped out most of them.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Haven’t had any problem with birds but one of my labs found out he likes blueberries and has cleaned all he can reach. He did same thing few months ago with the cherries. He saw me picking some cabbage few weeks ago couple hours later saw him running around the yard with a cabbage plant with a good head of cabbage on it

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My blueberry problem resides with our chickens. All low hanging branches are stripped bare, and any other branches within a good hop are the same. Still trying to get a photo of the jump shots.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Haven’t had any problem with birds but one of my labs found out he likes blueberries and has cleaned all he can reach. He did same thing few months ago with the cherries. He saw me picking some cabbage few weeks ago couple hours later saw him running around the yard with a cabbage plant with a good head of cabbage on it

i had a bull dog that loved blue berries. He would get all that he could reach.

come to think of it, anything he could get he ate. Celery, carrots, brocolli. He was cultured.