Garden/Canning ‘22

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
@timber thanks for your input. This is my first season using drip tape, and my first season using the self watering buckets. The tomatoes in the ground with drip tape seem to be doing better. The buckets not so much. @pattersonj11 I hope it is just the early fruit in the buckets. My watering may be inconsistent, but i will figure it out.. Fingers crossed.

Just a heads up, we have been picking horn worms off the tomatoe plants yesterday and today. Mother nature is hitting hard.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Also....got my first tomato plant with spotted wilt virus today. I need to get it out of there and hope the rest make it through. Ive personally never had a problem with a disease besides maybe something that happened well into the season when they were about done anyway. Ive also seen it devastate other gardens in short order. Im really hoping it doesnt. They are looking really good.

You may know this...there are several varieties based on older maters, possible heirloom, that are resistant to SPWV now. Celebrity Plus is one. I planted Celebrity and C. Plus. Mountain Gem, Bella Rosa, Top Gun are a few of the other TSWV resistant varieties. Planted these varieties. Think there is a Big Boy+ ane/or Better Boy+ that are TSWV. I'll provide feedback as the maters come off...as long as I can keep up with my "map". Lol

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You may know this...there are several varieties based on older maters, possible heirloom, that are resistant to SPWV now. Celebrity Plus is one. I planted Celebrity and C. Plus. Mountain Gem, Bella Rosa, Top Gun are a few of the other TSWV resistant varieties. Planted these varieties. Think there is a Big Boy+ ane/or Better Boy+ that are TSWV. I'll provide feedback as the maters come off...as long as I can keep up with my "map". Lol

i dont remember what I have planted. Ive probably got 10 varieties. Some are superduper modifieds and some are heirloom.

i think Celebration is the latest/greatest on the celebrity line. Celebrity would be my go to pick for tomatoes. Didnt the original celebrity line have the first resistance bred in? I was thinking it was the first tomato advertised for disease resistance.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Also....got my first tomato plant with spotted wilt virus today. I need to get it out of there and hope the rest make it through. Ive personally never had a problem with a disease besides maybe something that happened well into the season when they were about done anyway. Ive also seen it devastate other gardens in short order. Im really hoping it doesnt. They are looking really good.
I’ve been trying to figure out what’s going on with my tomatoes. I thought it was a blight or fungal thing. I had never heard or spotted wilt and looked it up….almost wish I didn’t know all my tomatoes were pretty much done for 🤦‍♂️They’re eat up

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone know where to get perlite at a decent price? That stuff is out of sight. $35-$45 for 4cu ft. I found a supplier in the west coast cheap, buttttttttttttt, freight was 4x the cost of the order lol

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ive seen it a lot before growing up. Sometimes its a really slow disease and you still get some fruit. It just depends.
I was pursuing master gardener google and found septoria spot. That may actually be what mine have. From google images, there appears to be a close resemblance in the way each manifests on leaves

edited to say I *hope* that’s what it is vs the alternative lol

timber

Twelve Pointer
Tomatoes and disease go together regardless if they are resistant or what fungicides you use some years. I try to do a 5 year rotation where I plant tomatoes also the greener you keep them helps with disease. I try to side dress them with some 46-0-0 or 34-0-0 every couple weeks. I usually run some fertilizer through drip tape but out of the water soluble fertilizer right now. The best way I have found to get around disease is just plant more than I am going to need.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Anybody have any idea what is going on with my squash and zucchini plants, leaves are turning white

Attachments

• 1301CC26-693D-470D-9170-3B7F0F1B1D34.jpeg
    1301CC26-693D-470D-9170-3B7F0F1B1D34.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 10

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anybody have any idea what is going on with my squash and zucchini plants, leaves are turning white
Mildew.

You can cut those off or make a milk wash and it will sometimes stop it. Typically caused by late watering or the ground staying too wet.

Last edited:

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have one plant with the same powdery mildew, and the other 3 in the row look perfect. All 4 get water from the same drip tape. Maybe a little more morning shade on the problem plant. Who knows...mother nature is mean.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve got some peppers, mostly bells, and a few of my banana peppers, that just can’t get with it. Yellowing leaves. I gave them a jump start of nitrogen, with a foliar spray of Alaskan fish, thinking the compost around them wasn’t completely decomposed and creating a nitrogen deficiency, even with rabbit manure around them, and a foliar shot of epsom. The plants that weren’t too terrible showed improvement over night. Still have about 6-7 yellow plants. Kind of wondering if I overdid it on compost, and those particular plants get the first afternoon shade, and maybe the compost is holding too much moisture. Should find out this week if that’s the case. Everything is going to get dry.

question for you guys, Ive got tomato plants and cucumbers that look good and have plenty of blooms, how much do you guys fertilize at this point? I didnt fertilize when I planted I tilled in some Daddy Petes Kickin Chicken, combo chicken and cow manure but havent done anything since Thanks

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I dont quit fertilizing. I use the walmart variety of miracle grow. Once i see blooms, i start using the tomato version of it as well.

yesterday they got both varieties of miracle grow and scattered about 2 lbs of 20-20-20 around the bed. Thats the first time ever with the 20-20-20. I usually do the miracle grow once a week.

they are gonna grow or fall over dead.

23mako

Ten Pointer
Cherry tomatoes have come in strong but my better boys are struggling. This is my first year gardening. Any idea what is going on with them?

Attachments

• FE67CEF0-C26A-448D-97A9-9C07D8C7D883.jpeg
    FE67CEF0-C26A-448D-97A9-9C07D8C7D883.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 119C6A3E-3F91-452F-9FE2-02D49D143892.jpeg
    119C6A3E-3F91-452F-9FE2-02D49D143892.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 7

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If yall are having problems with bottom rot, pick your tomatoes early when they start to turn orange and let them finish ripening in the house. It seems to help for me.

my dad has had some problems this year with it.....but they are still really green. Some of them around cherry tomato size. Most of the times ive encountered it in the past has been well before they were ripening. Thats a new one for me.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
question for you guys, Ive got tomato plants and cucumbers that look good and have plenty of blooms, how much do you guys fertilize at this point? I didnt fertilize when I planted I tilled in some Daddy Petes Kickin Chicken, combo chicken and cow manure but havent done anything since Thanks
I cut back on the nitrogen levels when fertilizing when they start flowering and setting fruit. They need more phosphorus and potassium than nitrogen at that point. I typically fertilize every 2 weeks at about half the recommended rate..due to having sandy soil.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
my dad has had some problems this year with it.....but they are still really green. Some of them around cherry tomato size. Most of the times ive encountered it in the past has been well before they were ripening. Thats a new one for me.
I've had it happen when they were green and red, but when I started having a lot of problems I pull them off a little early

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Some splitting on top of tomatoes will heal over and continue to ripen. I have seen big rain events like 2 inches over 24 hours just ruined tomatoes, melons,cabbage that was almost ripe splitting open all the way around. Most fertilizer I use gets put in the soil before I plant. After the first dozen tomatoes come off I may side dress some 10-10-10 and water in but only if the late tomatoes start getting small