Garden/Canning ‘22

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Yeeehaw,rain gauge is at .39 for today and its still raining. Even the toads came out and hollered at the beginning of this shower. Yeah now at .46 and going strong, I despise having to water the garden plus the pastures needed this. Now I can burn my brush piles without setting the world on fire

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
These little white butterflies are about to piss me off.

Would these happen to be the butterflies you are talking about. I'm more of a pesticide guy instead of using "natural" measures for insect control.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Would these happen to be the butterflies you are talking about. I'm more of a pesticide guy instead of using "natural" measures for insect control.
Yes, I sprayed all the brassicas this morning with BT to kill the worms, but still see the winged buggars flying all around. 🤬

timber

Twelve Pointer
Looking like going have to layout the drip tape this week. Planted 60 or so more tomato plants last weekend thinking we would get the rain wral kept talking about for days. We got nothing. It’s dry here and with the high temps coming end of week going get a lot worse. Normally don’t have worry to much about irrigating till June

blazinbowtie99

Six Pointer
Very nice. Ours has been blowing up the last couple weeks. Only yield is lettuce and spinach so far. Tons of flowers on squash and zuch. Tomatoes and peppers looking good too.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well I got some rain, garden is loving it. The wind made a bit of a mess, gonna have to tie up some tomatoes today.
View attachment 91927
looks good!
I may have overcrowded my raised beds a bit, but they are doing very well. I did wait too long to support some of my tomatoes and the snap peas did not climb like I wanted. Potatoes are huge and I should have enough cucumber to feed an army if they continue to grow like they are.
what are you planting on the trellis? Picks are a few days old. 20220520_125234.jpg20220520_125247.jpg20220520_125258.jpg

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
broccoli and snap peas are the only ones I have ready. Have a bunch of green tomatoes but nothing red. Here I thought I was doing well.😄

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
looks good!
I may have overcrowded my raised beds a bit, but they are doing very well. I did wait too long to support some of my tomatoes and the snap peas did not climb like I wanted. Potatoes are huge and I should have enough cucumber to feed an army if they continue to grow like they are.
what are you planting on the trellis? Picks are a few days old. View attachment 91931View attachment 91932View attachment 91933

I like your set up. Those cucumbers are going crazy!

The arched cow panel trellises are for green beans. I planted a couple dozen seeds right before that cold snap around mothers day. Only had 5 germinate, I think the ground was too cold. I re-seeded yesterday. Still plenty of time.

I'm a little behind on the cucumbers this is their trellis.
16534133844795815188759077296650.jpg

And this trellis is for my winter squash. Sweetpotatoe squash, this is my first year growing this variety.
16534135519125168491085906892730.jpg

Last edited:

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I like your set up. Those cucumbers are going crazy!

The arched cow panel trellises are for green beans. I planted a couple dozen seeds right before that cold snap around mothers day. Only had 5 germinate, I think the ground was too cold. I re-seeded yesterday. Still plenty of time.

I'm a little behind on the cucumbers this is their trellis.
View attachment 91949

And this trellis is for my winter squash. Sweetpotatoe squash, this is my first year growing this variety.
View attachment 91950
keep us posted on the trellises. I like the concept, everything should hang down nice and easy to pick.
I have plans to incorporate some trellises between some beds. just not sure where yet. trying to keep everything accessible.

I planted beans that did not survive as well. kinda ran out of room but may still plant some more.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Green beans usually dont have a problem germinating in colder soil. I usually plant several different plantings of them and the eatlier planted ones usually do better because of less insect pressure. I have planted them in middle of july amd they did ok just had stay on them with the insecticides. This first crop i have now look good so far. Starting to put blooms on. Havent seen any tomatoes on the vines yet. Was a little late planting because of the weather this year. Have around 100 tomato plants so would been to much trouble to have to cover them. We have been really dry here until last night. Been watering with drip tape and over head sprinkler but that rain water is better and a lot easier

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Do anyone soak their okra seeds before planting. Planted some dry. Only had a few to come up. I usually soak mine but didn’t this year. And I think the ground was still to cool

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I do,did, and still got poor germination. Actually got better with those I didn't soak
I think it had more to do with the crazy dry weather than the soaked seeds
Do anyone soak their okra seeds before planting. Planted some dry. Only had a few to come up. I usually soak mine but didn’t this year. And I think the ground was still to cool

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I planted some beans 4 times and had no luck.....called the company and was told that it was a bad batch and had multiple calls about it. Sending me a new batch.

timber

Twelve Pointer

Have done it both ways. Haven’t seen a lot of difference. Planted mine about a month ago didn’t soak in them think every seed I put in the ground came up going to have to thin them some. One thing I plant at least 1/3 more seeds than I need for a good stand when planting early. I have a triangle shaped hoe and dosent take but a few minutes to walk down a 100 ft row and take some plants out with the point on it

acman

Four Pointer
We always pack the soil on top of okra seed to give good soil contact have to thin every year.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I have never soaked okra seed and this is the first time I have had to replant. I have no idea why the first didn't sprout, but the second planting is doing great.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
Just picked my 1st cucumber. Already diced and in the frig with some onion, vinegar, salt and sugar...

I should have about 4000 more in a few days.😄
I just planted 5 cucumber plants last Monday, I'm way behind you.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Think my cucumbers are about a week off. Probably have about a 5 gallon bucket of squash Monday or Tuesday. Have a bunch of turnips and rutabagas about ready to pull up. Potatoes probably want be long. Starting see the vines giving up. Been scratching up a few potatoes around edge of plants

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well, i soaked my okra and it germinated in about 48 hours. My sweet potatoe squash and cucumbers are taking off on the trellises. Second attempt at pole beans germinated at 90%. I used saved seeds from last year this time. I really need to spend the rest of the day pruning, weeding, and tying tomatoes to stakes. Life kinda got in the way this week, the garden needs some attention.

20220529_110313.jpg20220529_110333.jpg

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Anyone else having a heck of a time with their garden this year? I’m fighting bugs and fungus tooth and nail.

I left a perfectly healthy squash row this morning, and came back at lunch to a squash plant that is shriveled up half the size this morning. I’m guessing a vine borer