Garden/Canning ‘22

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
we used to call them cow melons, people would plant them and then have hogs or cows clean up the field in the fall.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I've seen them before, and the old folks had a name for them but I can't remember exactly what they called them. Seems like it might have been citrun or something similar to that.

The citrons that grow as volunteers in fields that I'm aware of are hard/very hard. Dad and another farmer said if one gets stuck on cotton spindles, you have to cut the citron off the spindle/spindles.

ksherb

Six Pointer
Contributor
Looks like winter melon. Things will last forever if you don’t cut them. My wife (Chinese-born) cuts them up and puts them in the pressure cooker with pork or venison shank. Doesn’t taste like much on its own, but absorbs flavor well and it’s good fiber. Not sure that’s what it is, but the outside of a winter melon is “itchy” - like little pieces of fiberglass.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
A little late posting these pictures. Evening prior to first frost, pulled 6 bags of tomatoes, a bag of eggplants. Not in picture..pulled 4 plants each of cayenne, ghost, jalapeños and Reapers. Still have 6 late mater plants producing. Gave 4 bags of maters to elderly neighbors. As always, very appreciative. Squash are making a comeback..new leaves, blossoms.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221103-213004_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20221103-213004_Photos.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 4