Garden/Canning ‘22

Due to the dry conditions I think my cucumbers are toast, thinking of pulling them up and planting something. You guys got any ideas? too late to plant more tomatoes? Thanks

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Due to the dry conditions I think my cucumbers are toast, thinking of pulling them up and planting something. You guys got any ideas? too late to plant more tomatoes? Thanks

Not too late for maters. I'm going to plant some more. Local nursery is still selling.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I'm gonna plant some Oct beans or Cranberry beans, or whatever one chooses to call them next week. They should be in the first to middle of Sept. Planted three tomatoes plants last week. You can grow a lot of veggies on a small spot by double cropping.

timber

Twelve Pointer

Still plenty time for most vegetables. Cucumbers,squash,field peas,snap beans, corn cantaloupe . Some may not do as good as the early ones because of the heat and usually a little more insect pressure. On the tomatoes if you going plant them need get them in the ground. Planted some few years ago end of July and frost ended up getting most of them before they matured

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hope none of you guys are having to buy new jars. Holy crap. Through the roof and dodging spaceships.
We've been stocking up for two years and I ordered sealing rings last year. We should be good for another 2 or 4 years...

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
We've been stocking up for two years and I ordered sealing rings last year. We should be good for another 2 or 4 years...
I’ve got about 300 lids, couldn’t tell you how many jars, and about 24 brand new rings and a few others here and there. Don’t need many rings. I don’t run more than 2 canners at a time ever, and at 7qts each and at most, 14 resting, don’t take many rings to get by.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
depending on how you find the deal, sometimes the ring/lid combos are similar as just lids alone.
Maybe, last lids I bought were in a brown paper sleeve. Manufacture is “Newell”….which just so happens to own Ball….no troubles with them yet.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Bagged up about 15 or so (haven’t counted) 2cup bags of grated zucchini this AM. They’re currently in the freezer freezing hard enough to vacuum seal without sucking the water in. It’s unreal how much water you squeeze out of that stuff and it still is sopping wet.

Tried something I’d never had. Had about 1&1/3 cup left so I rung it out as best as I could and chopped an onion and fried with butter and a little oil. Like you would hash browns. As good or better than any hash browns you’ll eat.

I believe I’ll start a “fall” crop I a couple weeks. I’ll probably cut and kill the last big plants I’ve got that the bugs ain’t killed, before I leave, that way most of the bugs and such will be gone by the time the second crop is ready to go in. I can see them making an excellent substitute for fried taters for breakfast, never mind zucchini bread and such.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Check the peas today and the deer have about demolished them. Hope the deer that are eating them have had there lead poisoning vaccine or they going be in trouble

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Bagged up about 15 or so (haven’t counted) 2cup bags of grated zucchini this AM. They’re currently in the freezer freezing hard enough to vacuum seal without sucking the water in. It’s unreal how much water you squeeze out of that stuff and it still is sopping wet.

Tried something I’d never had. Had about 1&1/3 cup left so I rung it out as best as I could and chopped an onion and fried with butter and a little oil. Like you would hash browns. As good or better than any hash browns you’ll eat.

I believe I’ll start a “fall” crop I a couple weeks. I’ll probably cut and kill the last big plants I’ve got that the bugs ain’t killed, before I leave, that way most of the bugs and such will be gone by the time the second crop is ready to go in. I can see them making an excellent substitute for fried taters for breakfast, never mind zucchini bread and such.
As soon as i read "grated" i immedietly thought you were going to do hashbrowns. Thats a cool idea. Zuchinni fries are great, why wouldnt hashbrowns be too?

As for jar rings we have around 150 regular and 75 wide mouth. Most are over 20 years old. No clue how old they are really. They get removed about 24 hours after canning before the full jars get shelved. Then the rings get reused. We have several hundred jars of various types. Ive never seen mom or dad buy any, so i assume they are all over 25 years old. Again, no clue really. Mom has made pickles in glass mayonnaise jars too. Talented, she is.

dubbeltap69

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Thank you Lord for the rain ! Thanks for also sparing my truck from the big pine tree you dropped right behind it.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Anyone ever use the kitchen aid veggie strainer attachment thingy?
I'm hoping to get a bunch of tomatoes canned this year. Been a LONG time, but we always used a juicer to separate skin and seeds. Always made things so much faster. No blanching or hand seed removal.
Looking at options on amazon and came across the mixer attachment. It was cheap compared to juicers and I had the grinder already. So I ordered it and will ltest it out.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Anyone ever use the kitchen aid veggie strainer attachment thingy?
I'm hoping to get a bunch of tomatoes canned this year. Been a LONG time, but we always used a juicer to separate skin and seeds. Always made things so much faster. No blanching or hand seed removal.
Looking at options on amazon and came across the mixer attachment. It was cheap compared to juicers and I had the grinder already. So I ordered it and will ltest it out.

Bought something similar to what you are describing from agri supply several years ago but didnt use it but one year. We can a lot of tomatoes, chili sauce and pasta sauce but just didnt care for the juice. Think the thing will do other fruit besides tomatoes but want motor driven