Garden/Canning ‘22

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
While on the spray topic. My watermelon germination rate was beyond poor this year. I had three come up out of probably 30 seeds. Lost one of them to cut worms last night/today. I sprayed around all of the plants in the garden this evening.

dubbeltap69

Eight Pointer
Contributor
While on the spray topic. My watermelon germination rate was beyond poor this year. I had three come up out of probably 30 seeds. Lost one of them to cut worms last night/today. I sprayed around all of the plants in the garden this evening.
I've lost a bunch this season as well. I spray and I've started placing solo cups over them every night. Cut worms and slugs are really putting the hurting on my stuff.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Question for the experts, can you spray Bifen on a vegetable garden. Specifically on the plants themselves. I have maters, peppers, squash, egg plant, cucs, and watermelon planted. I have heard yes and no. I haven't seen any pests yet but do have ants starting to try and mound in it. Only my 4th year planting in the ground and so far so good. Just don't want to kill myself or the plants with pesticides. I have used it around the yard and house forever and just thought of using it in the garden.

I use bifen sparingly but do not pick anything for a few days.
For your ants, spread Amdro fire ant bait. It kills the mound from the bottom up. Not quick, but takes em all out.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I've lost a bunch this season as well. I spray and I've started placing solo cups over them every night. Cut worms and slugs are really putting the hurting on my stuff.

If cut worms are a problem, spray some of the insecticides mentioned in this thread on the ground surrounding the plants/seed. With cut worms, you have to be proactive rather than reactive. I use, of course, a pyrethroid. Spray after you plant.

venom17

Six Pointer
I use bifen sparingly but do not pick anything for a few days.
For your ants, spread Amdro fire ant bait. It kills the mound from the bottom up. Not quick, but takes em all out.
Yep, got some of that to. Was afraid that it would leach into the plants. The ants I saw was around the base of the plant.

Scroll down to table of contents, choose Insect Control, then Insect control for home vegetable garden. There is lots of there information in the manual. Also has harvest interval after treatment. You won't see brand names, but Google the insecticide, or ask here if you need.
As usual I skipped right over it, thanks, found it.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, got some of that to. Was afraid that it would leach into the plants. The ants I saw was around the base of the plant.
I'm not sure it would be enough to cause any issues as it doesn't take a lot. You do not have to put the bait on the ants as they travel for food. Sprinkle it nearby and they will find it, take it down in the mound and start the eradication from the bottom up. Gotta kill the queen or they will just move a few feet and start over.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Rain has been in short supply here. Corn starting to tassel with it as dry as it is and back in 90s next week it’s going have tuff time. Where I have corn this year hard to irrigate it. Have some younger corn maybe one out of the two will make. Was going plant some more late corn and more tomato plants but think I’m done. It’s going to take to much time to keep what have planted now watered. Planted some more cucumbers last week think going have put drip tape on them to get them up. Did plant some more sunflowers last week at back of farm that are starting to come up. They were more for the quail than doves

ctsnow

Six Pointer
Got 12 tomato plants in this evening. Had to replant all my sweet corn. It’s about 6 inches up now so should be good to go as far as birds. Gonna have to plant some more cantaloupe. Something got them right after they got out of the ground.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My goal of keeping the tomatoes pruned this year was an epic failure. I can barely walk down the rows. The first of the cherry tomatoes is starting to turn from green to orange. I can't wait to eat one. The broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage are done, and fingers crossed the brussel sprouts can withstand the heat a little longer. I have 50 sweet potatoe slips shipping out Monday. I gotta find somewhere to put them. It is dry here too, I am using drip irrigation for the first time ever. It is a life saver.
16544343538337593869504848758439.jpg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just watered what's left of the garden. Something, I suppose it was a coon, dug up my peppers, newly sprouted purple hulls, okra and dug all around the potatoes. He went down the rows digging plants up like it was his job.
I guess he was looking for grubs or maybe the old egg shells still had some scent.
It could have been a skunk I guess but the holes didn't seem cone shaped.
Oh well, guess I'll be replanting.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I just watered what's left of the garden. Something, I suppose it was a coon, dug up my peppers, newly sprouted purple hulls, okra and dug all around the potatoes. He went down the rows digging plants up like it was his job.
I guess he was looking for grubs or maybe the old egg shells still had some scent.
It could have been a skunk I guess but the holes didn't seem cone shaped.
Oh well, guess I'll be replanting.
I know you're ticked off!! Put a couple of cage traps out and maybe a camera and see what's going on.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Planted 21 peppers and 16 tomatoes today. Still got 33 tomato plants left in trays

got home today and the peppers were toast. Watered them well and they seem to be coming back around.

i did find one of the older peppers looking funny and I noticed it had some brown places on the stem. I figured blight and pulled it out.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Not related to your problem...we pretty much quit growing watermelons maybe 4/5 years ago due to what I think were yotes. You could see the punchers from the canine teeth in the melons. We found melon skins 10 to 40 rows away from the garden. Even small unripe would have teeth marks. Trying them this year. Anyone else had this problem?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not related to your problem...we pretty much quit growing watermelons maybe 4/5 years ago due to what I think were yotes. You could see the punchers from the canine teeth in the melons. We found melon skins 10 to 40 rows away from the garden. Even small unripe would have teeth marks. Trying them this year. Anyone else had this problem?
Yes! It started all of a sudden. One day you have beautiful water melons and the next day the row is a disaster. It used to get them all in a couple nights. They would bust all of them.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
squash looks good.
tomatoes look great.
zucchini look good, though the first round of flowering didn’t set fruit 🤔, finally have ONE zucchini on 7 hills.
30 pepper plants of 5 varieties. Lost one…. Like it’s missing. Gone at ground level. They struggled early but now are starting to slowly look better. Still got one I think might be a goner tomorrrow.
Cucumbers are coming along.
Got some containerized “late” squash and cucumber that aren’t doing squat. Just sort of look the same as they since they were transplanted last weekend.
First round of sweet taters (dads) look good and are in. I’ve got half a dozen of 3 different varieties I’m going to container grow and try to propagate for next year. They’re still hardening off before going in.

Blueberries are looking alright. Starting to turn. I pulled one today prematurely, could have used a day or four more. Had to beat the squirrels, coons and birds.

Blackberries are growing big, but haven’t turned yet.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My sweet potatoe slips showed up today. I won't have time to plant them until Friday. Hopefully they will be fine in the jars till then.
20220606_211146.jpg

Quick question for everyone:

I have some blossom end rot on my San Marzano tomatoes. They are in containers under shade cloth. I also see some on my zucchini that are in the earth. The other tomatoes in the earth are rot free. The earth garden is on drip irrigation. 30 minutes at 6am and 6pm. The containers have reservoirs that I keep full. Possibly the rain coming through the shade cloth on the san Marzano?
20220512_174327.jpg

timber

Twelve Pointer
My sweet potatoe slips showed up today. I won't have time to plant them until Friday. Hopefully they will be fine in the jars till then.
View attachment 92686

Quick question for everyone:

I have some blossom end rot on my San Marzano tomatoes. They are in containers under shade cloth. I also see some on my zucchini that are in the earth. The other tomatoes in the earth are rot free. The earth garden is on drip irrigation. 30 minutes at 6am and 6pm. The containers have reservoirs that I keep full. Possibly the rain coming through the shade cloth on the san Marzano?
View attachment 92688

I would check the soil where you have the end rot on the tomatoes. They have gadgets that read soil moisture but i never used one. I been playing in the dirt all my life so can get a handful and squeeze it and have good idea when it needs it. I use drip tape on tomatoes and when they are putting on fruit i run it a while about everyday unless get a lot of rain. To much moisture can cause it Also if soil gets really dry then wet back and forth can also cause it. Calcium will help. This year i bought a 40 lb bag of granular calcium and put it down when put the lime down where my tomatoes are. Guess time will tell how easly the pellets break down. There are a lot of different sources you can get calcium from. Have had some years that i just have some end rot on the first few tomatoes that come on the vine regardless what i put down then it clears up

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Depending on how many tomatoes you have you can dissolve Tums and epsom salts in water and pour a drenching amount around each one and it can stop blossom end rot.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive seen a bunch of years where blossom end rot comes with the first few tomatoes and then goes away. Ive heard/read that a lot of it can come from a calcium deficiency. I have never been able to find a solution myself or on the net on how to cure this. Some people add calcium and still have problems.

I can tell you my Dad has been saving egg shells for the past few years and puts a few tablespoons of them in the ground for each plant when he plants them. He still has issues with blossom end rot.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Also....got my first tomato plant with spotted wilt virus today. I need to get it out of there and hope the rest make it through. Ive personally never had a problem with a disease besides maybe something that happened well into the season when they were about done anyway. Ive also seen it devastate other gardens in short order. Im really hoping it doesnt. They are looking really good.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
my 1st tomatoe developed bottom rot. I hope it does not continue.
Do have peppers of all sorts forming now

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I'm having trouble with geese, they pulled five green tomatoes yesterday and broke them open looking for seeds.
Looks like I'll have to fence everything to keep them out.
It would be cheaper just to shoot them but they have some little ones and my wife enjoys watching them.