Garden 2023

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
Yeah I was kind of thinking that. I don't plan on planting a lot, so buying would be inexpensive. Just wondering if anyone had tried it with just as good success as new. Thanks!

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
I did it with a fall crop from leftover spring potatoes and they were marginal. Then planted some fall potatoes in the spring and the results weren’t as impressive as the new seed potatoes I planted.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Tater question. I have some small potatoes left over from last season that have shrunk up some and have sprouts a couple inches long. I was thinking about planting them this year. Do I:

1. Plant them whole with the sprouts intact?
2. Plant them whole with the sprouts removed?
3. Cut them in half with sprouts on or removed?
4. Forget it and buy some seed potatoes?

Never planted any like that but going to do some this year. Always just bought seed potatoes Have a bushel red potatoes left from last year that are sprouted like that. Don’t think the sprouts should be broken off. Not sure they will resprout where they are broken off. Not going plant them as deep as normally do and probably just plant whole potato instead of cutting. Will plant some like normally do just in case they don’t do good.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Ok men, need some advice from the master gardeners in here. Where do you guys buy your tomato seeds? I went by Lowes today and just happened to go thru the garden department, they had there vegetable plants priced at $5.98. Ill go broke trying to raise a garden. Im in McGees Crossroads Thanks

This is another source. These are tomatoe spotted wilt virus resistant. If you loose tomatoes, pepper plants to disease, tswv could be the cause. It is caused by a virus that is spread by a tiny insect called a thrip. Thus fungicides won't help. I've planted several of these varieties, but think I like the celebrity plus and better boy plus better than the other tswv resistant varieties I've tried. I'm going to plant some big boy plus this year, also.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
May be a little late for taters?...I got a blue variety. Going to throw mom and dad a curve ball. Lol

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
May be a little late for taters?...I got a blue variety. Going to throw mom and dad a curve ball. Lol
You’re still good on potatoes. When they get about 6-8” tall hit them with a high potassium fertilizer then 2-3 weeks late ammonium sulfate and watch them go.

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
One of the greatest feats in agriculture, being able to water crops on demand.

Attachments

• AD7DFD76-8027-4A5B-BCDA-0C205226E5DD.jpeg
    AD7DFD76-8027-4A5B-BCDA-0C205226E5DD.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 36

timber

Twelve Pointer

Not to late. I know lot people plant them in March and April. Have known a couple planted some in June as a second crop. I think the potato beetles are a little worse on later planted ones. But some years they are bad on all of them why I try keep them sprayed.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I have heard that once potatoes start sprouting to pull more dirt over them to increase the yield.
Can anyone add to that?

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
I will pull spiders by them to keep bedding them up keeping the ground from hardening. What increases yields is potassium.

Last edited:

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Weather has been kind of rough on us gardeners, but here's an update on my tomato seed milk jug greenhouse project. When the weather turned cold, I started bringing them inside at night and waiting until temperatures went to forty or above to put them back outside. After two weeks I have a 60% germination rate and hopefully more will sprout. I put four seeds in each jug, some jugs have four seedlings, some have three, some have two, and some only one, but all jugs have at least one seedling. They are in about three inches of seed starter mix with about three inches of potting mix underneath the seed starter mix. The next step is to see how they grow, when they get near the top of the jug I'll cut to top portion off to give them room.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Providing Easter was in April the ole folks used to make a garden planting on Good Friday. This year it’s April 7th so maybe a little early to set out tomatoes but beans and squash should be okay. Two weeks to push through will be a week past average last frost date.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Providing Easter was in April the ole folks used to make a garden planting on Good Friday. This year it’s April 7th so maybe a little early to set out tomatoes but beans and squash should be okay. Two weeks to push through will be a week past average last frost date.

I kinda had to plant mine earlier than I wanted last year due to the size my plants had gotten, so in the ground a good week to 10 days after last normal frost date. Had a heavy frost 6 days later! I covered them and removed it before the sun hit em, but they just never recovered like they should. Had the worst tomato crop I'd had for a while.
On a side note, started my seed this year on the 10th of this month in my plastic trays. Figured 12 to 14 days for decent sprouting. Checked them on day 6 and my tomatoes were almost 3" tall. I'm moving them to their cups today to go in the greenhouse. Had about an 85 to 90% germination. Have peppers sprouted with some of the hotter varieties taking a bit longer to sprout out.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
have a mess of seed started in my shop. plants are starting to pop. Got my big bed seeded with radish, onion, spinach and lettuce on Sunday. Have garlic in there with them also.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We planted seeds thursday, uncovered yesterday and the tomatoes are 2-3” tall. Very surprised at that speed

timber

Twelve Pointer
Probably plant some sweet corn next week and some butter beans and snaps the week after. I don’t put warm season plants in the ground till April 20th. Have seen a frost after that but don’t remember loosing any plants.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have to finish filling 2 more 4x4 boxes and 2 @2x6 that I'm moving and adding some cattle panels as a Arbor for vines. Have most of my seeds growing and ready to plant. Started treating my fence today and need to finish before putting plants in.
Have radish, carrots, onions and lettuce/spinach planted and doing well.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I transplanted tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, watermelon, and cantaloupe last week. Potato shoots are popping up, and pole beans are in the ground. Now I just need to fight weeds. Before and after shots, kinda hard to tell.
20230412_105412.jpg
20230413_125625.jpg

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
Weeds? What weeds? You’ve got less weeds in there than after I disc and plant my garden. I gave up on trying to be weed-free. What the spiders on the cultivator doesn’t get, I pick around.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I haven't started no seeds yet this year. Looks like I'll be buying lots off plants for the first go round. Still not in a rush to start,it was 33 degrees here this morning

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Co-op in TN was selling Jet Star tomato plants for $8.50 each last weekend. I was told that some places were already out of vegetable plants and wouldn't have any more. Seems like grocery prices are encouraging more gardening.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Potatoes are about 10"tall . Onions up . Peppers, squash, sugar snaps, cucumber's, tomatoes, sunflowers, watermelon's, cantaloupes, okra , eggplant, all up and growing. Need rain

I wish you could have some of our rain. EVERY time it "almost" gets dry enough here to get any plowing done, we get another soaker. I have garden spots sprayed and sprayed about 3 acres yesterday that will be planted in field corn, but it all is just too wet to do anything with. I'd just be tilling mud...
On a good note though, all my plants are doing well while waiting to get in the ground. There are hardening off on my plant shelf now but will need to be put back in the greenhouse this weekend due to low temps projected...

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Co-op in TN was selling Jet Star tomato plants for $8.50 each last weekend. I was told that some places were already out of vegetable plants and wouldn't have any more. Seems like grocery prices are encouraging more gardening.
That’s absurd. How big were the plants? I bought 4 packs last weekend here in NC because I was out of the country for 10days, so didn’t start any this year, for $2.99. Nice thick stocky plants anywhere from 6-14” tall, and they had singles for $2.99 up to 18-20” tall.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
North Carolina sure has some different climates across the state. I sometimes forget how diverse the land is from the coast to the mountains and even north to south. Reading the post here bring it to light. Some of us need rain, some need less, some need a little more time for temps to increase. I like clicking on the screen names to understand where everyone is and how the climate is different there. Its interesting